October 09, 2023
2589 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2785 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Good, fast fantasy combat game

More
04 Jan 2010 05:23 #51849 by Matt Thrower
I was struck the other day by the fact that our favourite genre abounds with quality skirmish-style titles in the sci-fi and (to a lesser extent) horror themes. But there seem to be far fewer entries in the fantasy department.

What I'm looking for is a fantasy battle game (any scale) which has rules for all the standard fantasy tropes: spells, different creatures, magic items and stuff like that but which is also ...
* Lots of fun
* Fast (2 hours or less)
* Multi-player

The only title I could think of off the top of my head is Wiz-War. I don't know if multi-player War for Edadh fits the bill. And after that I'm getting pretty thin on the ground.

Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2010 05:31 #51851 by kookoobah
I suppose it has a bit of sci-fi, and it's basically 2 players, but Heroscape might work for you.

Then again, that's probably not what you are looking for.

More
04 Jan 2010 08:23 #51854 by Stephen Avery
What you're angling for is a bit vague Matt. Are you looking for something with lots of crunchy bits like squad leader or something you throw a bunch of dice at like heroscape. Lots of minis games fall into wither catagory with shades in between.

Mordhiem, battlelore, heroscape, D&D4th, D&D minis, mageknight, olskool heroscape...ect

I can't think of something that has really detailed and tactical mocement like squadleader though. Usually fantasy games rely on special powers and magic instead of specialized weaponry and gritty reality. I used to own a paper minis game though that had alot of that though. The name eludes me. Grr that is going to really bug me.

Steve"I leik Kombat"Avery

More
04 Jan 2010 10:20 #51859 by Matt Thrower
Stephen Avery wrote:

What you're angling for is a bit vague Matt. Are you looking for something with lots of crunchy bits like squad leader or something you throw a bunch of dice at like heroscape. Lots of minis games fall into wither catagory with shades in between.

Either, really. What I want the focus to be on is the fantasy feel and theme - the precise scale, depth, mechanics, complexity and suchlike are kind of by-the-by so long as it generates a really good fantasy experience. And can be played in around 2 hours.

Doesn't have to be a miniatures game either.

Heroscape won't fit the bill. It's 2-player only and is more of a genre-bender than a fantasy game.

More
04 Jan 2010 10:21 - 04 Jan 2010 10:40 #51860 by Jason Lutes
Summoner Wars or Battleground Fantasy Warfare might fit the bill, though they are on the opposite side of the spectrum from Squad Leader. I would think that the closest we have to a fantasy Squad Leader is Magic Realm, and of course that's not exactly short in terms of play time.

Otherwise, um... Battlelore?

EDIT: Whoops, sorry -- I see that you're looking for 3+ players now. Multiplayer Wizard Kings scenarios might be candidates.
Last edit: 04 Jan 2010 10:40 by Jason Lutes.

More
04 Jan 2010 10:47 #51864 by Shellhead
Mertwig's Maze. Each player assembles a party of stereotypical fantasy adventurers and raids various flowcharts, er I mean dungeons, at the far edges of the map. The best part of the game is the PvP battles when two parties meet. Takes less than two hours to play, and I think it scales up to 5 or 6 players.

More
04 Jan 2010 11:27 #51869 by Black Barney
Battlelore. 1v1 is amazing. Multiplayer i haven't tried, you need 2 games to do it (or one with the Epic Adventures expansion). It woudl be interesting.

More
04 Jan 2010 11:42 #51873 by Juniper
Wizard Kings

More
04 Jan 2010 12:04 #51876 by Kingdaddy
The old Melee/Wizard mini-games might be another option.

More
04 Jan 2010 12:18 #51879 by mjl1783
Well, Kings & Things is supposed to be out this year, though you could always just print out King of the Tabletop.

More
04 Jan 2010 12:25 #51881 by maka
If you want man-to-man (or man-to-monster), there was a very nice redesign of Melee recently posted on BGG. But without Wizard, there's no magic. Maybe the guy that did the redesign will follow it up with Wizard eventually.

On a bigger scale, I'm really enjoying the 2nd ed. of Wizard Kings. It's multiplayer right out of the box, and although the expansions are random, just get a few of them and you should be able to play almost any scenario. It's got magic, a great combat system and blocks. It's also got loads of maps and it's very easy to create your own scenarios with custom rules. You can even integrate questing (factions have to find a hidden treasure that gives power, bring some object to a certain place, etc...).

More
04 Jan 2010 12:37 #51883 by metalface13
Runewars sounds like it will fit the bill, but who knows about the 2-hour mark.

More
04 Jan 2010 12:52 #51889 by Stephen Avery
See - that's what I was saying before. These titles are all over the place and range from detailed man to man combat ala gladiator to bigger units that get wiped with a die roll.

Skirmish to me means 6-20 units, rules for cover, ranged and melee fighting with some crunchy detail to make it interesting.

I'm going with preset D&D4th scenariosm, Mordhiem and/or mageknight. I'm sure there are others in this vein- I'm just to stooopid to remeber them.

Steve"fantasy warrior"Avery

More
04 Jan 2010 14:28 - 04 Jan 2010 14:32 #51904 by Columbob
First thing that came to mind was Mordheim, but:

-it's mostly for 2 players, although more can be accommodated;
-it's pretty low magic, i.e. not too many magic items or spell-slingers available.

It is however very detailed, with great campaign rules (experience/injuries), many many different warbands and creatures (skaven, undead, chaos mutants, priestesses, elves, dwarfs, mercenaries from all over the Old World, etc.), tons of different weapons, hired swords and more.

You can also download the complete official rules right here .
Last edit: 04 Jan 2010 14:32 by Columbob.

More
04 Jan 2010 15:03 #51911 by Notahandle
MattDP wrote:
" Heroscape won't fit the bill. It's 2-player only and is more of a genre-bender than a fantasy game."
No it isn't!

Melee/wizard has already been mentioned, but how about these two ancient relics: Demons and Fantastic Encounters ?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.472 seconds