October 09, 2023
2617 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2811 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

CE - A Euro?

More
09 Jan 2010 14:02 #52769 by Mr. White
CE - A Euro? was created by Mr. White
I'm sure this has been debated before, but I got to thinking about it with these FIVE threads. Shouldn't we really consider CE as a euro?

Victory points, no player elimination, thin theme, etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2010 14:05 #52770 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: CE - A Euro?
I just wanted to start a similar thread about the fact that quite a few people label Civilization Ameritrash. It doesn't even have dice and the trading isn't that vicious either without the expansion.

I'm pretty certain it's a wargame.

More
09 Jan 2010 14:10 #52771 by Last Alchemist
Replied by Last Alchemist on topic Re: CE - A Euro?
CE is definitely not a Euro. It has probably the largest amount of player interaction of any game ever made, there is player elimination (although it just comes in the form of a player being neutered for the rest of the game), and there is combat constantly throughout the game. The game also has a great narrative to it, albeit you might have to stretch to find it at first.

It's about alien races battling it out for control of the universe, not farming in the middle ages.

LA

More
09 Jan 2010 14:18 - 09 Jan 2010 14:18 #52775 by DeletedUser
Replied by DeletedUser on topic Re: CE - A Euro?
Schweig! wrote:

I just wanted to start a similar thread about the fact that quite a few people label Civilization Ameritrash. It doesn't even have dice and the trading isn't that vicious either without the expansion.

I'm pretty certain it's a wargame.

Confusion about which category to list a game is why I haven't listed any favourites yet. I'm probably overthinking things but I couldn't decide on whether to list Heroscape under Ameritrash or Miniatures and Tide of Iron under Ameritrash, Miniatures or Wargame. Perhaps one game can appear in more than one category for the same user?

Anyway, to keep Jack's thread on track, in my mind Cosmic Encounter is leaning toward Ameritrash on the Ameritrash/Eurogame continuum. And it is a continuum as many games feature elements from both genres.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2010 14:18 by DeletedUser.

More
09 Jan 2010 14:30 - 09 Jan 2010 14:31 #52777 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: CE - A Euro?
Last Alchemist wrote:

CE is definitely not a Euro. It has probably the largest amount of player interaction of any game ever made, there is player elimination (although it just comes in the form of a player being neutered for the rest of the game), and there is combat constantly throughout the game. The game also has a great narrative to it, albeit you might have to stretch to find it at first.

It's about alien races battling it out for control of the universe, not farming in the middle ages.

LA

Settlers is definitely a euro and it has player interaction.

True, there is combat in CE, but it's controlled. I can't purposely choose to attack who I want as I can in an ameritrash game. And neutering isn't elimination.

Lot's of euros aren't about farming.

Don't get me wrong, I love CE, and personally could care less what category the games fall under. I just think it's interesting that CE is held as the classic in one field, when in all actuality it really should be in another. It just hit the scene about 20 years before it's true genre was defined. Makes it even more of an important title, don't ya think?
Last edit: 09 Jan 2010 14:31 by Mr. White.

More
09 Jan 2010 16:23 #52785 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: CE - A Euro?
On a different note, people putting their AT lists in alphabetical order should be disqualified.

More
09 Jan 2010 16:50 #52787 by TheDukester
Replied by TheDukester on topic Re: CE - A Euro?
Cosmic Encounter has its own category. It's called "Cosmic Encounter." Like most Eon/Future Pastimes games, it really does defy easy description. And it was around for about 20 years before the OCD need for labeling everything took over gaming, so I think it's earned its own special category.

Now, in terms of the current lists — which I realize are in the spirit of good fun and maybe a bit of debate — I guess I'd lean toward an AT categorization. There's massive interaction, there's "combat" on literally every single turn, there's definitely a randomness (or perhaps "limited chaos") factor, and it's reasonably thematic. Reading the alien descriptions helps with that last part. I won't claim that the theme isn't a bit on the thin side, but it's 50 times better than Race for the Spreadsheet, which has never made me feel, even in the tiniest way, like I was out there conquering the cosmos.

Vote: Lord of the Rings.

Goddamnit!

Vote: AT.

More
09 Jan 2010 23:59 #52824 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Re: CE - A Euro?
It's also joyously not balanced, and proud of it. That is not a Euro characteristic.

More
10 Jan 2010 00:29 #52829 by rayito2702
Replied by rayito2702 on topic Re:CE - A Euro?
Jack Hooligan wrote:

I'm sure this has been debated before, but I got to thinking about it with these FIVE threads. Shouldn't we really consider CE as a euro?

Don't forget the bidding.

I think it fits right in to the pre-Puerto Rico style of Euro (think Settlers, El Grande, Tigris & Euphrates, Tikal, Intrigue, etc.)

I'm going to go against conventional wisdom and say all of those old Eon games are proto-euros. (Yes, even Dune.) They were designed to be the antithesis of Risk. Mechanisms always came before Theme. They are full of bidding and deterministic combat. Players don't get eliminated. They don't take all day to play.

If the Eon design philosophy had caught on when CE and Dune first made a splash we might have had a Euro boom 15 years early.

More
10 Jan 2010 06:10 #52837 by daveroswell
Replied by daveroswell on topic Re:CE - A Euro?
I think what killed this game for me is the fact Euro gamers choked the life out of it for me with overanalysis.

Some of the wacky assed powers in the game allowed over analysis to be possible.

More
10 Jan 2010 09:40 #52842 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:CE - A Euro?
The thing about categories is that, if you define them too broadly, then they become useless. If you consider Cosmic Encounter to be a Euro, then you'll have to do some fancy explaining to keep lots of other games out of the Euro basket. Consider:

Magic: The Gathering
- theme is obviously pasted on
- game is a race to 20 VPs
- derived from CE, another alleged Euro
- resembles many Kosmos 2-player games

Clue/Cluedo
- theme doesn't make sense, eg. how can you be the murderer and not know it?
- logical deduction is a popular Euro trope
- no elimination
- can't directly attack another player

Dune
- derived from CE
- has auctions
- battle is conducted using a system of closed bids, like in CE
- game is a race to 3/5 strongholds

If Cosmic Encounter is a Euro, then damn near everything else is, too.

The Spiel Des Jahres award was first granted in 1979, and the first SdJ winner that is obviously in the Eurogame style is Top Secret Spies, in 1986. To consider anything that was published earlier than the mid-80s a Euro is historical revisionism.

More
10 Jan 2010 10:09 #52843 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:CE - A Euro?
rayito2702 wrote:

Jack Hooligan wrote:

I think it fits right in to the pre-Puerto Rico style of Euro (think Settlers, El Grande, Tigris & Euphrates, Tikal, Intrigue, etc.)

I'm going to go against conventional wisdom and say all of those old Eon games are proto-euros. (Yes, even Dune.) They were designed to be the antithesis of Risk. Mechanisms always came before Theme. They are full of bidding and deterministic combat. Players don't get eliminated. They don't take all day to play.

If the Eon design philosophy had caught on when CE and Dune first made a splash we might have had a Euro boom 15 years early.

What a load of utter fucking crap.

More
10 Jan 2010 15:58 #52877 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re:CE - A Euro?
Southernman wrote:

rayito2702 wrote:

Jack Hooligan wrote:

What a load of utter fucking crap.

Enlighten us.

This thing has Euro all over it. The only thing keeping it out of that camp is it's release date. Don't know why that seems so upsetting.

More
10 Jan 2010 16:10 #52879 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re:CE - A Euro?
Juniper wrote:

Magic: The Gathering
Clue/Cluedo
Dune

If Cosmic Encounter is a Euro, then damn near everything else is, too.

Three games hardly represent 'everything else'.
Dune has already been discussed as a possible Euro. Magic, with it's CE ties could be argued as one. I could go besides the bullets you pointed out, it's generally a more euro-style heads-down game as opposed to the rowdiness of a ThunderRoad, Wrasslin, or DungeonQuest. And Clue? Really that's what your bringing? I'd wrap that into something else like Monopoly. Not Ameritrash nor Euro (the main 'hobby' genres), but more 'Family'.

This is getting off the point though. There isn't a need to re-classify, or hell even classify in the first place, but when all is said and done CE has far more in common with the Settlers line of games than Risk. And it's interesting to see it listed as one of the 'top five' of a genre, when really it has little in common with the rest.

Collect data on the top 5 AT games we listed vs the top 5 Euros. I would pretty much bet if we got down to it, CE would have more in common with the top 5 Euros. It'll take more than pictures of aliens to convince otherwise.

More
10 Jan 2010 16:29 #52882 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:CE - A Euro?
I fail to see anything even remotley Euro about the highly chaotic CE. Sure, you can hair split it until it looks like a Euro, but name any game and I can do that. People do it all the time on BGG, who can forget the claims that Arkham Horror was a Euro?

But the fact is AT is not just "Risk".

You can sit here and bullshit about it 'till the cows come home, but the limus test for what is and isn't AT is simple:

Who is the crowd that is playing it?
AT fans.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds