October 09, 2023
2630 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2821 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Adventurers Expansion- Wish me luck

More
11 Jan 2010 08:22 #52934 by Stephen Avery
Since the first play of Adventurers, I've been wanting to make an expansion. The game provides that Indianna Jones adventur-y feel but always leaves me wanting more. So I've put together and expansion and will be refining it over the rest of this week and sending it off.

Since there are several partners involved in the game it is very possible that they won't be able to use the design or that the original designers are already working on an expansion. If that is the case I'll post the files for PnP fanboi material. Wish me luck. So far I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

BTW, I'm submitting two versions:
An 8 map set for a randomized UnderTemple (only two would be added.)
and
Two corner maps that compliment the expand the base game.

I've tried to preserve the tactile quality of the game and keep the pressure on for movement/load. I'll let you guys know on this thread if anything develops.

Steve"Adventurer"Avery

P.S. This is my first game submission, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2010 08:58 #52939 by Jason Lutes
Good luck, Steve!

More
11 Jan 2010 09:06 #52942 by sydo
Great news Steve! I like Adventurers but it begs for an expansion like no other game, good luck!

More
11 Jan 2010 11:11 #52952 by Aarontu
Awesome!

More
11 Jan 2010 13:50 #52988 by Mr MOTO
Best of luck Steve!

Would some of the map sections replace (go on top of) current game sections or would they only be placed next to or nearby the main board? I'd like to see both in an expansion to mix things up a bit more than just boards that would not replace current map sections could accomplish.

Are you planning on any one shot cards that could increase the player vs player screwage factor, or cards that could offer a temporary benefit to a specific player?

More
11 Jan 2010 14:03 #52994 by lamplite
Good luck Steve. A beneath the temple catacombs type of expansion sounds awesome. Have you devised any new types of traps like quicksand or maybe the spinning tunnel like the Six Million Dollar Man had to stumble through when he was after Bigfoot?

More
11 Jan 2010 14:59 - 11 Jan 2010 15:26 #52995 by Michael Barnes
I have some details about this forthcoming expansion:

- It will feature two new quests that could only come from the mind of our very own Steve Avery- "The Search for the Lost Tanktop of Ava-Ri", which will take the Adventurers into the wilds of Northern Metro Atlanta and a tropical adventure "The Lost Mountains of Paradise" in which players must journey to Jamaica to retrieve the breasts of Anna Nicole Smith from their tomb
- A tie-in novella will be released with the expansion that also doubles as Avery's memoirs. For reasons only the Atlanta gaming crew will understand, it is called "The Adventurers: Ass Up on Euclid Avenue"
- New items will include a $7.50 bottle of rum and a half-eaten can of refried beans.
- Components will be repurposed Heroclix figures and whatever else was on clearance
- Special rules will allow you to play a sub-game of RACER KNIGHTS OF FALCONUS.

It sounds like the best game of all time, and I am not just saying that because Steve is my friend. Best of luck!
Last edit: 11 Jan 2010 15:26 by Michael Barnes.

More
11 Jan 2010 15:34 #52997 by Stephen Avery
Ha! just for that I'm publishing two bonus cards availble only on the Fort. "The Curse of Micheal Barnes" and "The Golden Tanktop". I'll put up some details after the playtest tomorrow.

Steve"Lost Mountains of Paradise"Avery

More
14 Jan 2010 22:27 #53240 by gorm
Hi - long time listener, first time, uh, poster...

Anyway - this thread forced me to finally get off my fat arse and setup an account. Watching this very closely as I think this board can make this game kick total ass. How's the playtesting going?

More
15 Jan 2010 08:36 #53254 by Stephen Avery
Awesome! Thanks for posting.

Finally got it to the table last night. Richard Launius and Lyman Hurd helped me work out some bugs. We playetested the set cornerboards composed of three tiles each.
Each room is like a mini boardgame and so some worked great and others were still clunky and needed streamlining.

Out of six tiles four worked well. One tile was particuliarly bad though and needs redesigning. We fixed a follow the leader problem and some repetitive mechanics. The equipment cards and new treasure cards worked well. Player interaction still needs to be higher so we batted some ideas around. I am pleased with the progress though it still has way too many rough edges to be a tight game.

I'm anxious to do implement the changes and get it back to the table. Good thing the weekend is coming up.

Steve"Adventurer"Avery

More
15 Jan 2010 17:14 #53291 by gorm
Sounds good Steve. I for one think this game has so much potential, yet my gaming group is on the fence. To me, it just screams for additional expansions, yet we know how long that can take AEG to turn around. I will be watching this closely and if you need me to, I will coerce my game group to playtest any of the boards for ya.

Steve G.

More
19 Jan 2010 14:26 #53494 by Last Alchemist
Hey Steve,

I love this game, and can't wait to see what you have come up with. I was looking at Fireball Island over at the geek and thought it would be a cool idea to throw something just like that game into the mix with the Adventures. Hell I wish they would retheme Fireball Island into The Adventurers world, and really kick it up a notch.

Good luck!

LA

More
29 Jan 2010 12:07 #54307 by Stephen Avery
I met with Aaron Tubb last night which brought me one step closer to to finishing this project. I took a week off to mull over some problems and playtest with my RPG group.

Aaron suggested a solid idea for a bad tile that I had designed and hashed out another idea for a sandtrap room.

So a couple of questions for those who are interested:
Would you prefer:
-Corner boards (ala talisman Dungeon),

-Board overlays replacing the exitisting paths/traps

-an expanded ending (either two random tiles or a set path) lengthening the game by 15-20 minutes

Or a Whole new setting - ie. Adventurer's The Temple of Isis/Into the arctic wastes..ect?

Thanks for your input. Hopefully I can wrap this up and either send it to AEG or publish it as PnP fanboy material.

Steve"Adventurer"Avery

More
29 Jan 2010 13:02 #54315 by Sagrilarus
I've always envisioned an add-on at the end of Chac. The game could use a shade-bit of length. Option 2 would be to break out prior to the end, giving two possible paths of exit. That's what I have been considering.

S.

More
29 Jan 2010 13:07 #54316 by LilRed
I would vote for expanded ending or overlays which opens the way for a lot of combinations thus more replayability. A whole new board while totally cool just gives you 2 options: old board or new board. Which suffers from the Tannhauser syndrome. While most skirmish or movement games offer modular board systems Tannhauser didn't because of the crappy pathfinder system (useless gimmick) this meant you were playing the same old maps over again. Modular is the way to go if you ask me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.305 seconds