October 09, 2023
2601 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2800 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

New AH expansion: The Lurker at the Threshold

More
15 Feb 2010 19:46 #55620 by Grudunza
fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=1107

Sounds great. I've only been so-so about the small box expansions, and actually traded away the two I had, but this one seems like it might be a keeper. In particular, the new gates sound really cool.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2010 20:15 #55622 by BradHB
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Man, I really need to catch up. I still only have Dark Pharaoh, Dunwich and Kingsport...

More
15 Feb 2010 20:39 #55625 by The King in Yellow
Thank the Old Ones that I have a job that pays well.
(Gotta collect them all!)

More
15 Feb 2010 21:05 #55628 by Mr Skeletor
Skeptical, Arkham Horror is bloated enough, and I thought Innsmouth was a good place to stop.

More
15 Feb 2010 21:09 #55629 by The King in Yellow
I don't disagree with you Mr. S, but it's the nature of addiction. I probably stayed hooked to Magic cards longer than I should have.

More
16 Feb 2010 01:56 #55645 by KingPut
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Skeptical, Arkham Horror is bloated enough, and I thought Innsmouth was a good place to stop.

I was thinking the same thing. I'll probably get it but adding a 100 more cards seems like insanity. The Black Goat and Innsmouth last year were hard enough now I'll have to worry about losing 1 sanity for going through a gate or failing to close a gate. The Lurker thing will probably be like joining a cult where it's mostly more bad stuff happening to the investigators.

More
16 Feb 2010 03:27 #55649 by Hex Sinister
They're not losing momentum with the AH releases are they? After they put out Mountains of Madness with the big board that replaces the regular town board then I'm going to quit. So hurry up with that already.

More
16 Feb 2010 07:59 #55658 by Nick Dalton
The relationship and dark pact cards seem like worthy additions. I never play with more than 1 expansion at a time though (except for the injury and madness cards).

More
16 Feb 2010 09:43 #55665 by Shellhead
Not even Azathoth could stop me from buying this expansion.

More
16 Feb 2010 15:08 #55691 by BradHB
Whilst more cards are always welcome, I'd like to see something a little different in future expansion packs.

I'd like to see a book of variants and scenarios - kind of like the one they did for Descent. That could provide some interesting takes on stuff - the variants published for the Summer League looked pretty awesome. Imagine a The Case of Charles Dexter Ward style scenario, where one of the players is a traitor like in Shadows Over Camelot or BSG.

More
16 Feb 2010 15:14 #55693 by Michael Barnes
So close to jumping the Shoggoth...

Yeah, I'll buy it so it can sit in the box with the BLACK GOAT one I've never played and the INNSMOUTH expansion that I barely looked at. It's idiotic, but I just like having all of them.

The sad thing is that Richard has several great Lovecraft prototypes that would have made for a compelling _line_ of AH games. I would rather have seen them published as "ARKHAM HORROR ADVENTURES" or something like that than an endless cavalcade of new cards.

It is bloated at this point. And it's cumbersome, even if you just play with one or two expansions...having to sort out the cards, figuring out which tiny, minor rules you're using...too much of a good thing, really.

More
16 Feb 2010 15:55 #55698 by Columbob
Michael Barnes wrote:

Yeah, I'll buy it so it can sit in the box with the BLACK GOAT one I've never played and the INNSMOUTH expansion that I barely looked at. It's idiotic, but I just like having all of them.

You just described my exact situation.

It is bloated at this point. And it's cumbersome, even if you just play with one or two expansions...having to sort out the cards, figuring out which tiny, minor rules you're using...too much of a good thing, really.

We've actually split everything up to play with only Innsmouth. But then I want to add the Injury/Madness, all the GOOs and investigators, some of which use expansion-specific equipment, and the new monsters in every expansion aren't labelled either.

I'm going to pass on this one until I at least play a bit more with Innsmouth and Kingsport and break open Black Goat. And try to beat the KiY by itself.

More
16 Feb 2010 22:20 #55713 by dysjunct
I'll buy it. Oh well.

I would like to see BTMOM as a standalone game. It really doesn't make sense as an expansion board to Arkham. It would be smaller and shorter, but given the scale of the entire Antarctic continent, plus all of Lovecraftian history, should be easy to add enough game to make it replayable as much as needed.

More
16 Feb 2010 23:07 #55716 by Shellhead
I read the story At the Mountains of Madness, and I've read the Poe story that inspired it, The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym. I've even played in the Call of Cthulhu campaign, Beyond the Mountains of Madness. And I just don't think there is enough material there to support a standalone game, and the scale of distance is a bad match for a possible expansion to the boardgame.

Instead, I would rather see a base set that replaces the Arkham country boards with a Dreamlands map. Both Lovecraft and Brian Lumley wrote a decent amount of material in that setting, and the Dreamlands supplement for Call of Cthulhu added some other interesting ideas.

More
16 Feb 2010 23:57 #55721 by John Myers
I like the idea of new ways to play the game, I'd like to see a campaign variant where surviving investigators carry over from one play-through to another.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds