October 09, 2023
2601 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2801 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

F:AT'S worst nightmare just came true!

More
11 Jan 2011 20:27 #84257 by Mr Skeletor
If you listen closely, you can hear Barnes zipping up his suicide bomber vest.
www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=1894

Of course the new one is an Insta-buy for me.

In other FFG News, Tannhauser finally becomes playable:
www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp...n=1891&epan=0#inicio
They should have released those with the 2nd edition rulebook, but better late than never.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2011 20:57 #84263 by Ken B.
Oh man...that has to be the Dune retheme, right?

More
11 Jan 2011 21:03 #84266 by Shellhead
Eh, I would have guessed that F:AT's worst nightmare would be a hostile takeover by Aldie, Weeks and Clearclaw.

More
11 Jan 2011 21:14 #84267 by Ancient_of_MuMu
They also bought Borderlands at the same time as Dune and CE and we haven't seen that yet.

More
11 Jan 2011 21:51 #84270 by Juniper
Ancient_of_MuMu wrote:

They also bought Borderlands at the same time as Dune and CE and we haven't seen that yet.

It'll be set in the Anima Tactics universe.

More
11 Jan 2011 22:03 - 11 Jan 2011 22:04 #84271 by Schweig!
Ken B. wrote:

Oh man...that has to be the Dune retheme, right?

I'm not reading that into it. Can you give me a quote?

Terrinoth is still the lamest fantasy setting ever. It's so generic. I've seen half-assed 3rd party D&D settings that were more interesting than this.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2011 22:04 by Schweig!.

More
11 Jan 2011 22:08 #84272 by Mr Skeletor

that is unlike anything you’ve seen from us to date.

That puts to doubt it's a remake.

D&D is the very definition of "Generic". You can't get any more generic than that.

More
11 Jan 2011 22:14 #84273 by OldHippy
What saves Terrinoth is it's genericness. That gives them the freedom to do whatever they want. It doesn't need to be great and personally I don't think it's any worse then Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms (Greyhawk might be better though). It's a straight up fantasy setting with a strong horror influence. It's perfectly serviceable for what they want. D&D rip off all the way but that's fine. I've seen dozens of D&D rip-off settings and D&D wasn't even that original (Tolkien of course) and neither was it's source... which was piece mealed together from old myths, something a lot of people were doing in that time (and earlier like Robert Howard or David Lindsay).

I hope the new game is a NEW game. Not a re-print and I am definitely curious to see what they've done. Still the most consistent game company for my money.

It's also at the point now where I too want a Runewars expansion, so this would be the time to announce it.

Wish I could go.

More
11 Jan 2011 22:25 #84274 by Schweig!
Mr Skeletor wrote:

D&D is the very definition of "Generic".

D&D itself doesn't really have a "setting". I was referring to the various flavour books you could buy. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_campaign_settings

More
11 Jan 2011 22:48 #84275 by kookoobah
I like Terrinoth, fuck you to all haters.

The only thing I don't like about this is that it means another whole bunch of Runewars/Descent/Dungeonquest goodies that I won't be able to get. Stupid fucking promos.

Yo FFG, why didn't you put up the goodie bag for sale last Christmas? Zzzzzzz

More
11 Jan 2011 22:49 #84276 by Ancient_of_MuMu
It's obviously a Terrinoth themed deck-building game.

More
11 Jan 2011 23:11 #84277 by Mr Skeletor
Ancient_of_MuMu wrote:

It's obviously a Terrinoth themed deck-building game.

Doubt it as they have the deckbuilding bloodbowl game comming out.
Maybe its a catacombs ripoff?

More
11 Jan 2011 23:47 #84281 by Dogmatix
kookoobah wrote:

Because they were apparently out of them. I picked up a bunch of Kingdom Hearts when they threw the booster cases up for like $8 and threw in a comment on the order asking "So, could clearing out your warehouse of all this dead KH stuff possibly earn me a Realms of T'noth goodie bag?" The invoice came back with a scrawled note: "I'd love to give you one for this but we don't have any left at all!" I figure it never hurts to ask and I appreciate someone noting the comment and taking the time to respond.

Frank: You're dead right that those fucking cards should have shipped with the 2nd ed Tannhauser rules. It would also be nice if put out 1 expansion in a box big enough to hold all the rest of the shit in 1 box--or at least boards that fold so that the damn game fit in a box with something approaching more "standard" dimensions.

I just saw the Asteros/Daedalus expansions in my local shop. I guess I'll hold off on those until Hoax and these cards hit the shelves and just grab the whole lot then.

More
11 Jan 2011 23:57 #84283 by Sagrilarus
Mr Skeletor wrote:

D&D is the very definition of "Generic".

D&D defines the centerline of the genre. It's the yardstick. Terrinoth is 3.37 inches longer than D&D.

S.

More
12 Jan 2011 00:15 #84285 by Mr Skeletor
Dogmatix wrote:

kookoobah wrote:

Because they were apparently out of them. I picked up a bunch of Kingdom Hearts when they threw the booster cases up for like $8 and threw in a comment on the order asking "So, could clearing out your warehouse of all this dead KH stuff possibly earn me a Realms of T'noth goodie bag?" The invoice came back with a scrawled note: "I'd love to give you one for this but we don't have any left at all!" I figure it never hurts to ask and I appreciate someone noting the comment and taking the time to respond.

I have a terrinoth bag and an Arkham bag. Need to grab a GOT bag if they ever come up, as well as Terrinoth 2 bag.
I agree it's annoying, especially as some of the 'promo' stuff is really good.

Frank: You're dead right that those fucking cards should have shipped with the 2nd ed Tannhauser rules. It would also be nice if put out 1 expansion in a box big enough to hold all the rest of the shit in 1 box--or at least boards that fold so that the damn game fit in a box with something approaching more "standard" dimensions.

Its a fuck-up because now the game is really all over the place.
I've said the game needed "WoW:tbg" style cards since it's original release. They really should have released such an obvious product with the 2nd ed rulebook, even if it was still a seperate product, then put them in future copies of the base game along with the rulebook, even if this meant a price increase. These cards are simply REQUIRED for play, as one can tell by the fact everyone has done homemade versions.
Now however the next lot of expansions are comming out WITHOUT the cards, so the card set has to include them too. So the 2nd edition rulebook covers the base game and the first bunch of expansions, but the cards are covering the base game, 1st and 2nd lot of expansions. What a confusing mess for new players.

Battles of Westros is similar - a fucking great game (My GOTY) but it seems like they fucked up the release and are now playing catch-up, with a bunch of rule changes and new types of flags moving forward. It comes across as surprisingly sloppy for what is normally an amazingly professional company.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds