October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Any Upcoming Wargame Releases on the F:ATties Radar?

More
08 Apr 2012 01:42 #122148 by wolvendancer
I am, in general, more interested in MMP games than in GMT games. Perhaps in great part due to Starkweather's influence, they don't seem as caught up in producing the same goddam WW2 stuff that arrives year after year after year. I truly hope 'Crusade and Revolution' makes its target number (and soon); I've been excited about that game for a long, long time now.

That said, GMT has this great tendency to actually produce games, which is nice.

And Lost Battles looks wonderful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2012 02:25 #122149 by Dogmatix

Sagrilarus wrote:

Dogmatix wrote: What the fuck are they bitching about now? The lack of NATO symbology?

Apparently this is hard to read: [snip]

Yea, that's what I thought...standard CSW "but it doesn't look like something Red Simonsen would have designed!" pissing and moaning. I have *wretched* eyesight and don't have any problem reading the counters.

I really need to get this one to the table soon. (I also need to find myself a kindle version of the book for easy table reference--wish some sort of ebook version had been included in the package as I hate paying for something I already own....)

More
08 Apr 2012 02:51 #122150 by Not Sure

wolvendancer wrote: I am, in general, more interested in MMP games than in GMT games. Perhaps in great part due to Starkweather's influence, they don't seem as caught up in producing the same goddam WW2 stuff that arrives year after year after year.

I feel pretty much exactly the opposite, I tend to prefer GMT stuff, because of all their stuff I have, not one game of it is WWII. With MMP, it's clear that ASL is all they really care about, Adam or no Adam. However you've said you don't like CDGs, and I do. A lot of their non-WWII stuff falls into that category, so that might our whole difference.

That said, GMT has this great tendency to actually produce games, which is nice.

There's also that. I wish Adam worked for a company who gave a shit about that, because I do like his stuff, but I simply refuse to do the MMP rodeo to get it anymore.

More
08 Apr 2012 03:42 #122151 by Sagrilarus

Dogmatix wrote: (I also need to find myself a kindle version of the book for easy table reference

Not on Kindle nor any other electronic format as best I can tell.

S.

More
08 Apr 2012 05:35 - 08 Apr 2012 07:32 #122154 by Dogmatix

Sagrilarus wrote:

Dogmatix wrote: (I also need to find myself a kindle version of the book for easy table reference

Not on Kindle nor any other electronic format as best I can tell.

S.

Well that blows. I also picked up Sabin's recent Simulating Warfare book too, but haven't cracked the cover yet.

Guess I'll keep an eye out in the "Information Must Be Free!" quarters to see if someone does a scan-and-release job on it in the future. I don't quite understand why there is a fairly substantial community of people out there who actively compete with each other to create and release their own ebook editions of books--I know I have no interest in manning a scanner for that many hours--but I'm finding myself increasingly grateful they're out there.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2012 07:32 by Dogmatix.

More
08 Apr 2012 07:35 #122155 by wolvendancer

Not Sure wrote:
I feel pretty much exactly the opposite, I tend to prefer GMT stuff, because of all their stuff I have, not one game of it is WWII. With MMP, it's clear that ASL is all they really care about, Adam or no Adam. However you've said you don't like CDGs, and I do.

I love CDGs! They are mostly what I play nowadays. But the two CDGs I'm most looking forward to - 'Kingdom of Heaven' and 'Crusade and Revolution' - are MMP. Before that it was 'God Kings', which wasn't GMT. My favorite CDG is 'Triumph of Chaos' - not GMT. Etc etc.

Add to the above MMP CDGs 'Angola' and 'Storm Over Dien Bien Phu' and that's where most of my wargaming excitement lies these days. It's not that I don't have some GMT pre-orders (Virgin Queen, Navajo Wars)... but CDGs? What exciting CDGs are coming out from GMT these days? 1989 is 'TS Very Light With a Less Compelling Theme' and Volko's stuff I've already touched upon. I would really love to throw some futuremoney at some awesome GMT CDGs; I just don't see them anywhere.

More
08 Apr 2012 08:46 - 08 Apr 2012 08:47 #122157 by ThirstyMan
Undoubtedly, Triumph of Chaos is absolutely the best CDG on the market. It brilliantly simulates the total confusion of the Russian Civil War.

I remember playing this with the designer, some years ago, at WBC. Green revolutionaries appeared in the Ukraine and totally cut off his White supply line while Makhno and his anarchist hordes starting butt kicking the Whites in West Ukraine. Both of these factions appeared via card plays and both can fight Reds or Whites depending on who they hate the most at the time.

It is, by far, the most crazy and immersive CDG there is. Talk about plans going to shit when contact with the enemy is made....this simulates that to the frustration of both players. I had Trotsky inspiring the troops in Eastern Ukraine with stirring speeches while my carefully made Siberian attack was falling apart due to the Czech legion activating and beating the living shit out of me. Good times......

If you want to try it with VASSAL pm me....
Last edit: 08 Apr 2012 08:47 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wolvendancer

More
08 Apr 2012 14:08 #122161 by Gary Sax

wolvendancer wrote:

Not Sure wrote: It's not that I don't have some GMT pre-orders (Virgin Queen, Navajo Wars)... but CDGs? What exciting CDGs are coming out from GMT these days? 1989 is 'TS Very Light With a Less Compelling Theme' and Volko's stuff I've already touched upon. I would really love to throw some futuremoney at some awesome GMT CDGs; I just don't see them anywhere.

So true... IMHO Clash of Monarchs was GMT's last great original CDG. I hope to see more, but nothing on the P500 looks like that caliber of game to me.

More
08 Apr 2012 17:56 - 08 Apr 2012 17:58 #122168 by Harkonnen13

wolvendancer wrote: That said, GMT has this great tendency to actually produce games, which is nice.

That's a good point. GMT is hands-down the most professional hex-and-counter wargame publisher. That long list of MMP upcoming releses is still just a theory, right? I know I'm not alone in getting a little bit pissed off that all those cool looking MMP games might not EVER be published whether I preorder or not, games will exceed the p# and still not see publication. Seems like super shitty customer service to me. Yes, I know "that's how it's been done for years".

As far as Lost Battles goes I had considered buying it. Player feedback was a little mixed. Several players said the scenarios were too scripted and on the flip side there was alternate set up to alleviate that. Maybe some innovation in the rules. At $100+ for the game I didn't want to find out for myself. I'm completely happy with Ancient Battles Deluxe and the ancients itch is scratched with that game and it's expansions. The components in Lost Battles look pretty sweet but of course if it's new and different some of the csw dickheads will see it as the coming of the Antichrist.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2012 17:58 by Harkonnen13.

More
09 Apr 2012 01:27 #122187 by iguanaDitty
Does Virgin Queen not count as a CDG?

Sad to read all this dislike for 1989 as my preorder which I had apparently forgotten to cancel just went through. Ah well.

So true... IMHO Clash of Monarchs was GMT's last great original CDG.

I have put Clash of Monarchs into and out of my cart so many times because of you.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds