October 09, 2023
2619 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2812 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Berg's Crucible of Courage going belly-up

More
30 Apr 2009 09:39 #27375 by Sagrilarus
Shamelessly stolen from CSW --

Brian Youse:

We have decided to return the rights to Crucible of Courage to Richard Berg. Despite having hit its P# some months ago, CWTS hasn't generated much follow-up interest for us (many games score hundreds of preorders soon after "hitting") and has been on preorder for long enough that billing concerns would be immense. We've suggested to Mr. Berg that he offer the title to MHW L&L as the mechanics seem similar to Flintlock and fans of that game may take to CWTS rather well. Whether this happens is entirely up to Messrs. Berg and Walker.

Can someone please recommend a hobby were you only find out about the accessories once they become readily available. I'd prefer something easy on the joints and without a lot of heavy lifting.

Sag.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2009 12:06 #27410 by hancock.tom
If that gets the other stuff on their list published faster, good for MMP.

I like Richard Berg but did not see the appeal of Crucible of Courage.

More
30 Apr 2009 12:06 #27411 by jeb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Can someone please recommend a hobby were you only find out about the accessories once they become readily available. I'd prefer something easy on the joints and without a lot of heavy lifting.

I'd go with Jarts.

More
30 Apr 2009 12:10 #27413 by Count Orlok
Fuck MMP. They're canceling the game, even though it crossed their p500 threshold? I was really looking forward to the game, but held off on pre-ordering because of the number of times I've been burned doing it. Fuck them and their re-hash WWII games. I'm really starting to get fed up with the wargame scene. It seems that unless you release another east front or bulge game, you're basically unnoticed. I've been reading through the csw GMT folder, and its nothing but a raving mess of crypto-fascists (yeah, I get to use the term!) and their undying love of the wermacht. I'm sick of it!

More
30 Apr 2009 12:23 #27415 by generalpf
I'm sure Richard Berg will soon let us all know what we did wrong.

More
30 Apr 2009 12:24 #27416 by Mad Malthus
Hey, the Wehrmacht earned the love. Love those guys. To be fair, I have a little softspot for the Red Army too.

I am with you on there being too many Bulge/East Front games. Too many WWII games in general. PRINT ANGOLA ALREADY DAMMIT!

More
30 Apr 2009 12:38 #27419 by Sagrilarus
Count Orlok wrote:

I was really looking forward to the game, but held off on pre-ordering because of the number of times I've been burned doing it.

When you say burned, do you mean you lost money, or just didn't get to make the purchase? Holding off on pre-ordering is essentially hanging yourself. It's like complaining about not winning the lottery when you didn't buy a ticket.

I would have imagined that an ACW title would have some footing. Then again, I don't think there's a single game store in Gettysburg, so maybe there's just not the level of interest that I am anticipating.

Sag.

More
30 Apr 2009 12:45 #27422 by adamant
I guess I can't say to this Count Orlok dude what I would like to say...

So I guess I will just type it a few times and revise it a few times more - get it really juicy and fun...wistfully stare at it for a few minutes...and then delete it.

Oh to be a gamer again...

More
30 Apr 2009 12:47 #27423 by generalpf
adamant wrote:

This is pretty much the same thing as saying it.

I can't decide where to stand on this issue. I hate both parties involved.

More
30 Apr 2009 12:50 #27424 by Count Orlok
Sagrilarus wrote:

Count Orlok wrote:

I was really looking forward to the game, but held off on pre-ordering because of the number of times I've been burned doing it.

When you say burned, do you mean you lost money, or just didn't get to make the purchase? Holding off on pre-ordering is essentially hanging yourself. It's like complaining about not winning the lottery when you didn't buy a ticket.

I would have imagined that an ACW title would have some footing. Then again, I don't think there's a single game store in Gettysburg, so maybe there's just not the level of interest that I am anticipating.

Sag.

Burned is an exaggeration, but the truth of the matter is, I've never received a pre-order within a reasonable amount of time. I tend to move a lot (as I'm a college student) so that never helps with the process, but I never seem to receive my pre-order until I badger the company incessantly to send it to me. By the time they finally do, it's a month or so after I should have receive it, and I could have just scouted consim world for a used copy. I also don't have a lot of disposable income, so I never know when or if I can afford to make a new game purchase. This has pretty much ruled out the possibility of me pre-ordering anymore.

More
30 Apr 2009 13:46 #27434 by Bullwinkle
adamant wrote:

This is Fortress: Ameritrash. You can say it. I think you're actually supposed to say it.

More
30 Apr 2009 13:53 #27435 by Michael Barnes
If wargamers actually PLAYED THE FUCKING GAMES THEY OWN we'd probably have a lot less Eastfront/Bulge games and less WWII games in general.

More
30 Apr 2009 13:55 #27436 by generalpf
Michael Barnes wrote:

If wargamers actually PLAYED THE FUCKING GAMES THEY OWN we'd probably have a lot less Eastfront/Bulge games and less WWII games in general.

I still haven't seen the need for a new strategic-level Eastern Front game after playing The Russian Campaign. That theater has been done to death.

More
30 Apr 2009 14:15 #27440 by Michael Barnes
I mean, seriously...how many times can you game North Africa? And at what point do you say "hey, you know what? I'm kind of ready to do something else." I have _one_ NA game, and that's ROMMEL IN THE DESERT. It's a masterpiece, and as far as I'm concerned it captures everything I want in a game about the subject. I'll never buy another. I even regret buying the DAYS OF THE FOX thing for TIDE OF IRON because it's another NA game. Sorry, SHIFTING SANDS.

I've met wargamers who _want_ more games about particular battles or conflicts yet they never play the ones they have. I don't get it. I seriously believe that demand for so much repetition would go down if wargames were played with greater frequency.

More
30 Apr 2009 14:36 #27444 by JoelCFC25
Here's the difference between Eurogame collectors and wargame collectors.

Eurogamers buy tons of relatively simple games to play them once, rate them a 7, and then consign them to the shelf for the rest of eternity as soon as the next batch of acquisitions arrives.

Wargamers buy tons of hideously overwrought games to remove the shrinkwrap, punch the counters (Optional: skip this step to preserve resale/trade value), peruse the rules, set up a scenario and putz with it for a couple hours/days, then put the box on the shelf because it's time to start researching the next preorder or purchase.

In both cases, the hobby is to varying degrees sustained by the collector gene. Wargamers in particular are known for snapping up tons of games in some vain hope that they'll be able to play them someday--against a friend, an as-yet-unborn child, etc. The games themselves tend to resemble coffee table books in terms of actual usage.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.371 seconds