October 09, 2023
2607 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2807 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Mission: Red Planet?

More
01 Sep 2011 16:46 #102606 by Josh Look
So I got a trade offer on BGG. Battleship Galaxies for LOTR LCG (which I know I want) and Mission: Red Planet.

Some of my personal info:

-I tend to like games by the Brunos, or at least games they had a hand in. Never played El Grande though.

-I like games with roles, so I'm cool with that (TI3, Glory to Rome, Citadels)

So what does the F:AT crew think of it? I know it's been out for quite some time, so how does it hold up? I think Battleship Galaxies is a massive turd, so with LOTR already on the table, I can only move up, right?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2011 16:51 #102608 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re: Mission: Red Planet?
I really, really disliked Mission: Red Planet. Don't know why--it just....kind of sucked.

And I usually like Faidutti's games, too.

You may dig it a lot more than me, man. It just did absolutely nothing for me. And I even played it with Steve "Tanktop" Avery, Michael "Veggie Powers Activate" Barnes, and Robert "J.D. Salinger" Martin.

More
01 Sep 2011 16:55 #102609 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: Mission: Red Planet?
I like it, but it is a three player game so we don't get to play it much. You can stop by to borrow it if you want to try it out and see if you like it. I'd invite you over to play it with us, but the kitchen is underconstruction and my home and life is in total chaos as a result.

More
01 Sep 2011 17:00 #102610 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Re: Mission: Red Planet?
This game fucking sucks because I couldn't get the box open :`(

More
01 Sep 2011 17:26 #102613 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Re: Mission: Red Planet?
I'm a pretty big fan of Faidutti and when I first got this game I really didn't care for it too much. The game just seemed kind of bland and never really was all that exciting. I shelved the game and didn't play it for about a year.

Earlier this year I decided to give it another go and for whatever reason it was a huge hit this time. I think it might have been because we were all familiar with it and weren't learning it. I'd say it takes getting to that 4th or 5th game to really fall in love with it. At that point you really become aware of how to use the roles in the best way. Also there is plenty of chances to screw over everyone else so the game can be pretty nasty (something I enjoy). I've read that some people hate the hidden "discovery" cards that can be placed, but they don't bother me. I did once used them to really piss off one of my friends. We were both tied in a zone that was worth a lot of points. However, I used my Scientist to discover that the hidden discovery card was actually radioactive (or something like that) and it would destroy the person with the majority letting the second highest player reap the rewards. I left the area during the last turn much to his delight. When he found out that I had duped him and basically murdered all his guys during the final scoring he was irate! I didn't win that game, but that move made my day.

The role selection really makes it one of my favorite "area control" games. It feels like a deeper version of Citadels. Also the game rarely lasts more than 1 hour which is also a plus in my book. The ample opportunities to screw people over is just icing on the cake for me.

I thought I read somewhere that M:RP was going out of print too...If that is true than I say if you are interested in it go for it. At the very least it might become highly sought after in a couple of years and you can trade it away if you hate it.

More
01 Sep 2011 17:37 - 01 Sep 2011 17:49 #102614 by scissors
Replied by scissors on topic Re: Mission: Red Planet?
I've owned M:RP since it first came out and our group still plays it years later.

I don't know what's supposed to suck about it - it's a lot of fun, you can have a few drinks and play and it's easy and comes out regularly in our group (we modified the scoring a bit with a poor reading of the rules but it doesn't change the game in any fundamental way). The roles are a lot of fun: you can sabotage rockets, make them take off early, switch guys, kill guys off. If there is anything you have to get used to, than it is that once on Mars there is less time and fewer options to move around on the planet than you would think. But if you play your cards properly ahead of the scoring rounds (there are 3 of them), there are ways to get what you want. (We always play four players but three works well too and five maybe even better).

I dunno, it's not a heavy game by any means and we don't overthink it: there's just enough 'take that', we always feud with my best friend regardless of whether it sinks the game for both of us, and I found it a good deal more fun than El Grande which partially inspired it and is probably a better and deeper game.

We love this game. I'd never sell it!

Edit: Egg posted while I was writing but my bet it probably is going oop. Haven't seen it re-stocked on local game store shelves at any rate.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2011 17:49 by scissors.

More
01 Sep 2011 17:57 - 01 Sep 2011 18:07 #102616 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Mission: Red Planet?
I like Mission Red Planet. There's secret goals which can be completely unpredictable but it's fun.

Opening the game -- remarkably difficult until you split a seam on the box.

Given the reviews I've heard on Battleship Galaxies from people I know this sounds like a very solid deal.

S.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2011 18:07 by Sagrilarus.

More
01 Sep 2011 18:42 #102623 by Bulwyf
Replied by Bulwyf on topic Re: Mission: Red Planet?
Based on what your likes are Josh, this sounds like a winner of a deal.

-Will

More
01 Sep 2011 21:05 #102628 by san il defanso
I agree, you could do a lot worse in terms of trades. Mission Red Planet is basically the two headed baby of El Grande and Citadels. It's not as good as either one of those, but those are pretty great games. I think you'll like it.

More
01 Sep 2011 21:05 #102629 by SuperflyPete
Trade Battleship for it in a heartbeat. I know I'm sick to death of it, but after playing it WAY too many times in a short period...it needs an expansion.

M:RP is fun.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds