October 09, 2023
2552 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2751 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Video Blogging: The Death of the Hobby

More
10 Dec 2014 13:41 #192339 by Bull Nakano

The Lone Voice wrote:

Ok, Lone Voice, why does this topic matter to you?

*play above video in background while reading my response*

Why does this topic matter to me? Its simple I LOVE board gaming and I refuse to see it ruined by self serving wanna be celebrities that don't really like board gaming that much but just want to show us their mug every opportunity they can while under the pretense of reviewing a game.

Ever since I saw one of Tom's early videos where he pretended to take a drink out of what was really an empty coffee mug. I was determined to stay true to the quest of providing a protective umbrella to those who really loved the hobby. Protecting them from the payola pollyannas, the hucksters, the shucksters, those who wanted to make an easy buck off an unassuming nerd who just wanted to have a good time in his own basement.

Let him whack his pee pee and move his game pieces in peace with the best the gaming hobby has to offer!

Very Green Acres.

I understand you don't like Vasel, but I can't see how he's ruining board gaming, nor do I think he's not truly passionate about games. How could someone not be passionate about games and do what he did for nearly a decade without getting paid for it?

Other video producers? Well it'd have to be looked at on an individual basis, but the majority would likely be people who are enthusiastic about the hobby and want to share and express that, maybe they're nerdy, or awkward, or amateurish, but no one is making youtube board game videos just for money or just for fame.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2014 13:41 - 10 Dec 2014 13:42 #192340 by VonTush
Video Bloggers --> _____________ --> Death of the Hobby

I don't know how you're connecting one to the other?
Are you saying everyone is going to become bloggers no longer interested in the games but rather the online personality they're looking to create?
Are you saying that these personalities will eventually wield strong influence as far as game designs go?

I'm getting a: Steal Underpants --> _____________ --> Profit Vibe from this post.
Last edit: 10 Dec 2014 13:42 by VonTush.

More
10 Dec 2014 13:43 #192341 by The*Mad*Gamer

Everyone likes some recognition for the work they do at some level. So i can see why written reviewers that are putting out high quality content get a bit miffed that most boardgame fans appear to be completely oblivious to their work,

This is really similar to the DC comic artist that made the comment recently he does not like cosplayers as they bring nothing of value to conventions.

www.nerdist.com/2014/12/comic-book-artis...alue-to-conventions/

More
10 Dec 2014 13:44 #192343 by The*Mad*Gamer

Very Green Acres.

HAHAHAH! Awesome! you caught that! You now have my respect
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bull Nakano

More
10 Dec 2014 13:47 #192344 by The*Mad*Gamer

but no one is making youtube board game videos just for money or just for fame.

One word for you: Wheaton

Did you see how much he made on his crowdfunding campaign for Season 3 of Tabletop?

Did you see how much money Tom got on his kickstarter campaighn for The Dice Tower Podcast?

More
10 Dec 2014 13:48 #192345 by Shellhead
Board games have survived RPGs, CCGs, Xbox, Steve Weeks, and Kickstarter. Board games will survive video blogs.

More
10 Dec 2014 13:51 - 10 Dec 2014 13:52 #192346 by The*Mad*Gamer

Are you saying everyone is going to become bloggers no longer interested in the games but rather the online personality they're looking to create?
Are you saying that these personalities will eventually wield strong influence as far as game designs go?

I'm getting a: Steal Underpants --> _____________ --> Profit Vibe from this post.

I am saying that these Video Bloggers do not have the charisma or skill to present these games in the best light thus those wanting to enter the hobby will be turned off and sales will be restricted to only the hardcore like Chapel. This keeps the hobby from growing. It keeps the hobby in the small niche it already is. These hardcore gamers like Chapel will eventually fade away making the niche smaller and smaller thus DEAD. In fact the only way to keep the hobby alive is growth. If you don't grow you die. These videos don't promote growth, although they smell of manure, they don't act as fertilizer for the growth of the hobby.
Last edit: 10 Dec 2014 13:52 by The*Mad*Gamer.

More
10 Dec 2014 13:58 #192347 by Bull Nakano

The Lone Voice wrote:

but no one is making youtube board game videos just for money or just for fame.

One word for you: Wheaton

Did you see how much he made on his crowdfunding campaign for Season 3 of Tabletop?

Did you see how much money Tom got on his kickstarter campaighn for The Dice Tower Podcast?

Of course. I wasn't saying video producers should ONLY be unpaid hobbyists, plenty of videos and podcasts monetise, the two you mentioned bringing in the most cash, but I've never for a second thought Vasel or Wheaton don't love games.

More
10 Dec 2014 13:58 #192348 by DukeofChutney

The Lone Voice wrote:

Everyone likes some recognition for the work they do at some level. So i can see why written reviewers that are putting out high quality content get a bit miffed that most boardgame fans appear to be completely oblivious to their work,

This is really similar to the DC comic artist that made the comment recently he does not like cosplayers as they bring nothing of value to conventions.

www.nerdist.com/2014/12/comic-book-artis...alue-to-conventions/

I don't think this is that comparable. The artist is complaining that cosplayers don't bring in cash, video reviewers clearly do. I have not seen a serious game publisher or accomplished designer lament the death of the hobby at the hands of video promotion.

More
10 Dec 2014 14:02 #192349 by Bull Nakano

The Lone Voice wrote:

I am saying that these Video Bloggers do not have the charisma or skill to present these games in the best light thus those wanting to enter the hobby will be turned off and sales will be restricted to only the hardcore like Chapel. This keeps the hobby from growing. It keeps the hobby in the small niche it already is. These hardcore gamers like Chapel will eventually fade away making the niche smaller and smaller thus DEAD. In fact the only way to keep the hobby alive is growth. If you don't grow you die. These videos don't promote growth, although they smell of manure, they don't act as fertilizer for the growth of the hobby.

www.starlitcitadel.com/helm/2012/05/08/the-wheaton-effect/

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds