October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2713 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

I'd Buy That For A Dollar!

More
15 Dec 2014 16:26 - 15 Dec 2014 16:37 #192801 by Mr. White

Thinking about that Gorgonstar Titan auction...what has been the most you've made selling a game/game item? Was it worth it? Wish you still had it?

Or, conversely, how much have you spent buying something? Go overboard? Regret it?

I sold a complete set of GW DungeonQuest (base and both expansions) several years prior to the FFG release. It was also completely painted. Sold for a little over $400. I'm good not having it. I've got a buddy who has it all now and plans to paint it all up. He's a better painter than I. Plus, I've got Dungeon! and Talisman, so that's plenty of games of this ilk.

Topping it would be my completely painted Warhammer Quest set that went for almost 6 bills. The paint job wasn't the best, not nearly as good as the DQ set, as it was mostly a dip job to get it all done. But, there were also a few extra odds and ends thrown in...cheap MK plastic dragons, giants, etc. Sold it almost a decade ago. I'm totally good with this game being gone. It wasn't half as fun as Advanced HeroQuest.

Obviously, both of these went fairly high since they were oop, complete, and painted.
Last edit: 15 Dec 2014 16:37 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2014 16:42 #192803 by charlest
I've done a lot of selling over the years and haven't pulled anything close to those numbers on an individual basis.

However, I have probably made a large sum in total. Things that come to mind:

WHQ, base was pretty much complete and the Orc expansion was like 40% complete and missing minis and stuff. I think I got $170 for it in 2003.

Necromunda, sold this last year. It was incomplete and had some of the Outlanders terrain. Everything was in used condition with much of the terrain slightly rough. Rulebooks were also not included. Got $150 for this.

-I made around $300 profit buying Space Hulk 1st edition sets from a Danish seller in 2006. This store had several copies of the game with English rules but no box. They were brand new though with minis on sprues and everything. I bought several copies from him and flipped them.

I made over $100 profit selling copies of Hanabi last year in between print runs. Found somewhere that had some in stock and people were paying stupid money for it.

Made $40 on War of the Ring a couple months ago. I sold the copy Miniature Market had on its shelf ding and dent before I even bought it (listed it to see if it would sell then picked it up). I did this with Colosseum off another FLGS's shelf last summer.

Got about $200 profit selling 1st edition copies of Dust Tactics core set when it went out of print. Sold three copies that I found ding and dent on MM's shelves.

Doom and the expansion got me about $200 three years ago. Fan of the game but not at that price.

Here's a recent one - bought Sheriff of Nottingham for $19.99 in Cardhaus' Black Friday sale. Sold it for $40 this week.

I'm a dirty capitalist, I know. The stock market/speculating part of my brain eats this shit up. It's almost like a game unto itself hitting up Miniature Market's Ding and Dent section and looking for stuff in between printing. I can't believe people are willing to pay that much for something that will be back in print soon.

More
15 Dec 2014 16:50 - 15 Dec 2014 16:50 #192804 by Mr. White

charlest wrote: Made $40 on War of the Ring a couple months ago. I sold the copy Miniature Market had on its shelf ding and dent before I even bought it (listed it to see if it would sell then picked it up).

Baller.

I suppose you weren't concerned with the MM copy selling out between the time you 'sold' one and had to go buy another?
Last edit: 15 Dec 2014 16:50 by Mr. White.

More
15 Dec 2014 16:55 #192806 by OldHippy
I'm the opposite. I never make profit on games. Even games I'm getting rid of that might have a high market price. I sold Arkham and a pile of expansions for 20$ or something. I can't recall now. I gave Age of Conan away for free... sold Doom for maybe 20$. In general I hate thinking about money (this has not been good for me) my brain just isn't wired to care.

Mind you I won't pay big prices either, but I'll certainly let go of shit for cheap and even give it away sometimes.

If I saw a game on a shelf that I knew was in demand and I knew I could buy it cheap and turn a profit... I'd walk away and do nothing. Unless I knew someone on line who was searching it out... in which case I may pick it up for them for cost. I am not a good capitalist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, JEM

More
15 Dec 2014 16:57 #192807 by DukeofChutney
I went over to York a year or two ago and picked up; Imperium GDW 1977, La Bataille de Moscowa (1st edition), D'Auerstadt and Wagram for £30. I only ended up playing Imperium and have no resold each game off for a total of £170ish. Thats probably my best coup.

I bought the last online seller copy of Mark Simmonich's Caucasus Campaign and later resold if for around a £5 profit. Not big but usually you lose value on punched games.

More
15 Dec 2014 17:03 #192808 by charlest

Mr. White wrote:

charlest wrote: Made $40 on War of the Ring a couple months ago. I sold the copy Miniature Market had on its shelf ding and dent before I even bought it (listed it to see if it would sell then picked it up).

Baller.

I suppose you weren't concerned with the MM copy selling out between the time you 'sold' one and had to go buy another?

I was concerned and almost didn't do it for that reason. I saw their copy when picking up a different order and thought about buying it for myself but didn't. Later that week I realized how much they were going for and decided to list it, planning to pick it up that weekend. It sold pretty quick so I called them and had them hold it.

BGG has the seller confirm feature so a purchase doesn't go through until the seller confirms it's still available (think this is mostly because people tend to list their games on multiple sites) so I wouldn't have been screwed. However, I still wouldn't have liked to put a buyer in that position.

More
15 Dec 2014 17:06 #192809 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: I'd Buy That For A Dollar!
I sold my MAGIC THE GATHERING dual lands (I think, 20 or so?) for $650 to fund my iPad purchase. I wish I still had only in so far as I could sell them now for even more money. That market is ridiculous.

More
15 Dec 2014 17:09 #192810 by Michael Barnes
$450 for a complete 2nd edition Talisman set circa 2006. I had it behind the front counter of my store. Dude walked in, saw it, flipped through the boxes, sold.

I made a shitload of money off of Neuroshima Hex. I imported 30 copies direct from Ignacy, they were literally the first copies in the US. I think I made $30 per on those. Sold copies to Aldie, Dirk, Rick Thornquist and Greg Schloesser. Autographed the shrink with personal greetings on each one.

Sold about 10 copies of the Catan treasure chest, $175 a piece. Kicking myself for not keeping one. At the time I thought the price was "staggering". Now it's "median".

"An undisclosed amount" for Risk Black Ops...

Think I got about $300 for my D&D minus collection...had like everything.

$150 for the SPI Dawn of the Dead. Worth about $5, really.

$225 for a complete Arkham Horror set with some prototype items from Richard. And the buyer pitched a bloody for because ONE counter you almost never need wasn't in the box.

I _love_ flipping games. Love finding a buyer. The number of games I just won't sell is very small.

More
15 Dec 2014 17:15 - 15 Dec 2014 17:17 #192811 by Chapel
I sold Lost Battles last year for $240. I traded Indonesia for it. Indo is going for about $200-$250 today but it was going for $180 when I traded. I know there will be a reprint of Indo in the near future, Splotter is good about doing reprints, they just take a while. Lost Battles probably will never be reprinted, but was a game I could live without.
Last edit: 15 Dec 2014 17:17 by Chapel.

More
15 Dec 2014 17:17 #192812 by The*Mad*Gamer

Sold copies to Aldie, Dirk, Rick Thornquist and Greg Schloesser. Autographed the shrink with personal greetings on each one.

Awesome! Doing a deal with the TRUE TITANS of gaming! The Euro Gamers Mount Rushmore!

More
15 Dec 2014 17:44 #192815 by Bull Nakano
I've sold several copies of Warhammer Quest for ~$200 each time. I scoop up components lots and part these things together so there are more copies of this game out there. Think of me as a modern day Johnny Appleseed. The hardest part is finding the dang boxes.

More
15 Dec 2014 18:11 #192817 by Secret Satan
Bull Nakano- this is all very interesting and whatnot. But quit your jipper jabbering and report your package!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bull Nakano

More
15 Dec 2014 18:11 #192818 by Hex Sinister

Mr. White wrote: I sold a complete set of GW DungeonQuest (base and both expansions) several years prior to the FFG release. It was also completely painted. Sold for a little over $400.

Fuck. I sold mine (only one expansion though) but only got like... less than half that. I thought I did pretty good til now!

Does painting them add to the sales price?

More
16 Dec 2014 00:39 #192829 by Applejack
Sold a $30 Kickstarter pledge level of Boss Monster for $202.50. The cards were all sleeved, I had played it once.

Got $75 for Red Dragon Inn 4 and ally packs Cormac and Natyli, with KS promo cards. Cost me $35, sleeved all the cards (minus the oversized 'sea deck') and never played it.

A $100 KS pledge level of Zombicide Season 2 I sold for $260. Played it twice I think. And yes, I sleeved all those little item cards.

It amazes me people will pay so much for mediocre games just to have everything. Boss Monster is nothing special, and the Kickstarter-exclusive cards add very little to the game. Zombicide is an overpriced version of Zombies!!!, and neither is nearly as good as Gears of War. I might buy a copy of Red Dragon Inn again in the future, seems like a decent beer & pretzels game, and I would like to actually play it.

More
16 Dec 2014 07:49 #192838 by Gary Sax
I don't even bother selling shit anymore. I've basically just started sending games to people I don't want.

I hate sales.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Ghost, ThirstyMan, JEM

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.355 seconds