October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2720 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Acquiring Classics/Reprints vs. The Cult of the New

More
27 Jan 2015 00:14 #196252 by jeb
Yeah, I have the classics I want as well. Only DUNE is still a Want of pre-90's stuff. I even had it at one point, but traded it to Loter when REX was due. REX is fine, but it's not DUNE. Theme does matter! I know what the Harkonnens are up to just by them being Harkonnen. What the fuck do I know about Lion guy or Turtle guy?

QUEEN'S GAMBIT would be nice. Never going to happen.

For new stuff, I am just expanding ELDRITCH HORROR and ROBINSON CRUSOE. I will probably get CLASH OF CULTURES (with expansion? you tell me). WIZ-WAR too, but I am in no hurry. I also someone decides to bow out of NETRUNNER and send me all the LCG stuff cheap.

I can't believe TITAN has become hard to find! That Valley Games one was dumpster juice, everyone was hating on it for ages it seemed. I think it was $15 on Tanga or something. Looks like it's back around $50. Crazy. I was a "backer" for that one and love it to bits. I am in two ACTS games right now--that's worth tracking down. In the meantime, read these old The General articles:

ia902701.us.archive.org/12/items/General...eVol20i2/Vol20i2.pdf
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2015 01:23 #196253 by Colorcrayons
I forgot about dune, even though I have a box with all the Ilya materials printed out waiting to be cut. Probably forgot since I don't know enough people locally to devote the time to it, so it never got finished.

I generally don't like long games (over 3 hours), but I'll make an exception for dune.

More
27 Jan 2015 07:29 #196261 by wadenels
Aren't you in the Twin Cities, Crayons? I'm up for Dune. Probably my wife too. I dig longer games.

More
27 Jan 2015 07:51 #196262 by Legomancer
I will jump on the El Grande reprint, but in general I'm really not looking to buy much of anything, new or old.

More
27 Jan 2015 08:06 #196263 by Bull Nakano
The only classics I'm looking for are Manilla and Thebes, but I fully agree with this thread's sentiment. I'm usually about 8-24 months behind the curve as far as buying games. Sometimes I'll grab something that's brand new, it's fun to be in that group that gets to discover the game first, but I'm way more inclined to do this with a cheaper game. I don't have $40 to spend on a dud.

More
27 Jan 2015 09:25 #196280 by ChristopherMD
I guess I've been around the hobby long enough that I already own (or have owned) all the classics I've wanted. Except for Dune, but I doubt I'd get that played anyways. Plus I've always thought crafting your own copy of Dune should be some kind of right of passage for AT fans. Like a jedi making their own lightsaber.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
27 Jan 2015 09:27 - 06 Feb 2015 08:38 #196282 by stoic

Mad Dog wrote: I guess I've been around the hobby long enough that I already own (or have owned) all the classics I've wanted. Except for Dune, but I doubt I'd get that played anyways. Plus I've always thought crafting your own copy of Dune should be some kind of right of passage for AT fans. Like a jedi making their own lightsaber.

+1
Last edit: 06 Feb 2015 08:38 by stoic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
27 Jan 2015 09:47 #196289 by Shellhead

wadenels wrote: Aren't you in the Twin Cities, Crayons? I'm up for Dune. Probably my wife too. I dig longer games.

Me too. I have a copy of old school Dune, but it's not as pretty as the Ilya remake. We should set up a game some time.

More
27 Jan 2015 10:35 #196304 by Chapel
I am definitely on a "look back" mode as well. Last year I picked up Advanced Civ, Supremacy expansions, several D&D modules, Junta, Balam, Alert Force, etc.

I am currently on the hunt for:

1829, 1830 original AH, 2038, Barbarian Kingdom and Empire, Conquest of Empire(To round off my battlemasters collection), Divine Right, History of the World(Original AH version), Magic Realm, The Mystic Wood, Rail Baron, Valley of the Four Winds...And more D&D modules.

Most of these I've owned in some form is the past. And dumped a lot during the Magic the Gathering plague.

More
27 Jan 2015 10:37 #196307 by Egg Shen
I'm not a cult of the new person at all. I typically wait until a game is on the market for a very long time before I finally take the plunge. You can usually suss out the real opinion of the game at that point without all the hype clouding your judgement. On top of that...I've found that most of my favorite games are much older designs:

Fury of Dracula
Merchant of Venus
Settlers of Catan
Bohnanza
Cosmic Encounter
HeroQuest
Space Hulk
Talisman
Tales of the Arabian Nights
valley of the Mammoths
Evo
Wiz War

I tend to love simple games that have great components/artwork and really give you fun stories afterwards. Talisman almost always results in something outlandish that has never happened to us before. You get lots of "hey remember when..." moments. Any game that offers moments like that immediately shoots to the top of my Favorite Games of All Time list.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds