October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Games that "fired" other games

More
29 Mar 2014 01:51 #174623 by Gary Sax
You drunk, Sag? Certainly surly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2014 06:55 #174625 by Erik Twice

Sagrilarus wrote: Fuck this topic. I hate this meme-ass bullshit. This is the kind of tripe I expect to see in a Geeklist on BGG with everyone telling me how much better Eclipse is than any game ever invented. Maybe we can start a fucking twitter hash tag dovoted to it.

I would be interested in your analysis of the topic. No, really, I truly am!

More
29 Mar 2014 07:17 #174626 by Sagrilarus
I just hate "boil it down to six words" kind of Internet bullshit in general. One of the things I've liked about F:At in the past is that someone who says something like "TI:3 sucks, Eclipse is better" is obligated to follow it up with detail when they get challenged and rebutted. The community has been small enough for that to happen, with F:At's usual "lay smoke you dick" tone.

If Erik had led off with "Games that punched other games in the crotch" I might have been a little more laid back about it. A dick punch doesn't imply firing, merely demotion.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Aarontu, VonTush, Oatmeal

More
29 Mar 2014 08:13 #174629 by Schweig!
Sag fires this thread.

More
29 Mar 2014 09:13 - 29 Mar 2014 09:17 #174631 by Cranberries

Hex Sinister wrote: Warhammer Diskwars fired Commands and Colors Ancients

Bye bye C&C:A, I won't miss you.

What? Really?

I finally bought a first edition of Incursion. I hope it fires a few games.

I think Duel of Ages II probably fires a few games as well.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2014 09:17 by Cranberries.

More
29 Mar 2014 11:07 - 29 Mar 2014 11:10 #174636 by Sagrilarus

Hex Sinister wrote: Scipio can lick Grom the Paunch's nuts.

See? This response right here is why you can't boil two games down to trite phrases. Who the hell would want to play Grom the Paunch? Hex Sinister apparently, and that's his business (dead-wrong of course, still his business) but for me personally that's player-repellant right there. If I played this game I'd be spending the time trying to figure out how to put a Revolutionary War theme on top of the same mechanics.

I appreciate the point is to start a debate, but what do you do when you're comparing "yellow" to "tall"? Sometimes the two games simply aren't in the same genre for some players. Ingenious fired Arkham Horror! Wha?

S.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2014 11:10 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
29 Mar 2014 11:08 #174639 by Sagrilarus

craniac wrote: I finally bought a first edition of Incursion. I hope it fires a few games.

That's the one I have too, and the art is much better. My cunning plan is to get Incursion back out again at the Mid-Atlantic Game-a-thon at the beach this May, one of the titles that hasn't gotten the attention it deserves.

S.

More
29 Mar 2014 13:00 #174650 by OldHippy
I have never had this experience. I sold Tannhauser after I played Earth Reborn thinking that ER had fired it.

Not so. ER is a better game but it's just so different it doesn't matter. Tannhauser had some great elements and I kind of wish I had it back... if it wasn't for the lack of space. Even real close one's like Dominion, Thunderstone, Nightfall, Puzzle Strike... shit, it goes on. They were all different enough for me that even though some I kept and some I didn't it really had nothing to do with one being better at the same thing than another. Which was never the case.

Maybe Space Hulk was the reason I got rid of Tannhauser... they are closer. But I don't think so.

I don't think any game has ever fired another one in my house. There's been close calls or situations where I know the other game won't get played but it rarely has anything to do with a new game being better at all the same shit as the old one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, VonTush

More
29 Mar 2014 13:38 #174653 by SuperflyPete
Space Hulk and Tannhauser aren't really the same game. I'd think Tanny is far closer to Earth Reborn in scale. I'd favor Tanny over ER all day long. That said, Incursion fired Tanny for me, and I'm not sad about it, even a little bit. Space Hulk will never leave my house. Hell, I might ask to be buried with it.

I just got Rampage and have only played it once, but it might very well be my go-to dexterity game over my beloved Ascending Empires, although they don't really compete for mind-share or scope. My Ascending Empires is pretty fucking rough at this point. Probably 100 plays on it and the boards have been PVA glued on the edges because the fraying is getting pretty bad. I almost want to do a Masonite board like Repo, but until I move, I'm not starting any new projects.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
29 Mar 2014 14:50 #174658 by hotseatgames
Resistance fired Panic Station for me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.618 seconds