October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Wii U Discussion

More
21 May 2014 18:05 #178635 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Re: Wii U Discussion

JonJacob wrote: I can't figure out if Mario Kart is going to be good enough that I need to buy it right away or if I should just keep playing what I have (including the incredible Sonic Transformed) and wait awhile for the small price drop. I have two good kart racers on the go already, I'm holding off....I really want to pick up Pikmin, it looks interesting.

Lol, have I got the deal for you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2014 18:06 #178636 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re: Wii U Discussion

Michael Barnes wrote: Shikey! I didn't see that deal! I will defintely pick it up then, I don't have NSMBWU, will definitely snatch that up.

I call the cat suit the cheating suit, because that is what it is.

I'm replaying Metroid Prime on mine right now...I think that is the only 20+ hour game I've played through more than once. This will be my fourth time. It's up there with MGS, Castlevania: SOTN, and RE4.

I could never finish Metroid Prime. I got so damn sick of it, but the first dozen hours or so were amazing.

RE4 I of course finished at least 5 times, no idea how many. Best game of all time.

Castlevania SOTN was incredible but I could never finish the upside down castle. so hard.

Never played MGS but I'm obviously missing something from everything I hear.

More
21 May 2014 18:10 #178637 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: Wii U Discussion
Goddamn you SaMoKo, now I have to go buy a hard drive. There just isn't enough room on mine anymore to download a new game and this deal you've presented to me has me by the balls. I cannot resist that.

Ah well, I don't have to play them immediately and 1st party Nintendo titles almost never get price drops. I saw Mario Galaxy 2 for 35$ the other day... still!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SaMoKo

More
21 May 2014 18:53 #178642 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: Wii U Discussion
I think Samoko just drove by my house in a Toyota Scion wrapped in Nintendo advertisements.

More
21 May 2014 19:47 #178646 by jhuntin1
Replied by jhuntin1 on topic Re: Wii U Discussion

SaMoKo wrote: Donkey Kong stands out to me as the top platformer, but it's hard as balls to the point that the extra worlds in 3D World look like cake. Soo damn hard to speedrun in DK, but so amazing when you pull it off. The clumsy character really works well in the game.

And the price of Mario Kart won't drop to anyone waiting. You'll pay ~maybe~ 5bux less down the road and miss out on the free game deal for buying early (NSMBU, Wii Party U, Pikmin 3 or Windwaker HD in NA, or a whole bunch of stuff in EU). Getting a free game for buying a game like MK is an insane deal, and Pikmin 3 is a great game that many don't own.

Edit: www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/Mf9RJDc...ECxUdPB0Lf3N9Jb2VtRt

Those are great games for a free promo. Urge to buy MK8 rising strongly...

More
21 May 2014 20:00 #178647 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Wii U Discussion
Yeah, I am sold. Don't read this as buy one get one free, read it is "first party nintendo titles half off." That shit never happens.

In for PIKMIN 3!

More
22 May 2014 07:58 #178665 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic Re: Wii U Discussion
Damn, I might need more storage. I haven't checked in a while, but between MK8 and Pikmin 3, I might be running up against the limits of the internal memory. I know they say they don't recommend using a flash drive, they say it's because of the "limited number of read/write cycles." That kind of sounds like crap to me. It'd be way cheaper to slap a $20 32gb thumb drive in there than get an external drive that's way bigger than I need.

Btw, this deal gets even better if you have a deluxe system and buy digitally. For buying the game, you should get 599 points, which gives you a $5 eshop certificate. Depending on how they handle the free game, redeeming that might get you another bunch of points (599 for the good games), which will get you ANOTHER $5 certificate.

Basically, I'm saying that if you buy it on the eshop, you'll get a cheap or free copy of Earthbound in addition to Pikmin 3.

More
22 May 2014 08:39 #178669 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Re: Wii U Discussion
Thanks SaMoKo. Now I need to figure out what I'm going to sell so I can buy even MORE Wii U games.

More
22 May 2014 09:13 #178671 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Wii U Discussion
I'm now at least a decade removed from video gaming, so am totally lost as to the current scene.

My son has gotten by with hand-me-down and retro systems, but I'm thinking about getting him a somewhat modern console sometime later this year.

So, what's the deal with Nintendo's status? Should I get a standard Wii (I'd assume cheaper now) or is there no longer any capability to download classic 16bit titles (was there ever)? Is the online functionality of the Wii dead?

What's the Wii U? The next step? Can we download 16bit games on it (particularly SNES KOEI strategy games for pops)?

Is that Minecraft game available for Wii?

More
22 May 2014 09:25 - 22 May 2014 10:04 #178672 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Re: Wii U Discussion

Jeff White wrote: I'm now at least a decade removed from video gaming, so am totally lost as to the current scene.

My son has gotten by with hand-me-down and retro systems, but I'm thinking about getting him a somewhat modern console sometime later this year.

So, what's the deal with Nintendo's status? Should I get a standard Wii (I'd assume cheaper now) or is there no longer any capability to download classic 16bit titles (was there ever)? Is the online functionality of the Wii dead?

What's the Wii U? The next step? Can we download 16bit games on it (particularly SNES KOEI strategy games for pops)?

Is that Minecraft game available for Wii?

I think the Wii was pretty underrated. It got at least three outstanding Mario games, two great Zelda games, and solid entries from every Nintendo franchise. You're more of an old-schooler so you would also probably really appreciate Donkey Kong Country Returns and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which are about as old school as they come.

Is it worth getting one now? The biggest things going for it are cost and Gamecube games. I think it retails for like $99 now. The ability to play Gamecube games is great, although it's somewhat diminished now that Windwaker is available on the Wii U. There's no HD on it either, but if you're already using old-school systems it sounds like that won't be an issue.

The Virtual Console is one of the coolest things about both systems, and this is where the Wii has the edge right now. The VC is essentially where you can download old games from past generations on the system. The Wii U has been getting a trickle of VC releases, but they've been slow to get anything but the big tentpoles up there. The Wii U also doesn't yet have any N64 games up, which boggles my mind. They do have Game Boy Advance games for some reason, but those are generally awesome so I don't mind.

I like the Wii U better, mostly because it does everything the Wii does anyway and because it's far less reliable on motion control. Of course it is more expensive. I found mine used from Cloudy, so I saved some money that way. I also was pretty heavily invested in the Wii, with several games, controllers, and peripherals that all still work on the Wii U and are frequently used.

The Wii is still actually a decent seller for Nintendo I think, so maybe they'll hold on to the online functionality for a while. But keep in mind that the controllers for it won't get much cheaper because they actually are still used by the Wii U.

I cannot imagine a more Jeff White thing to do than buying a Wii in 2014.

Minecraft is basically a PC game I think.

*edit for further detail*

The Wii U is the next generation after the Wii. In spite of what the name implies it is an entirely new system. Instead of the motion controls from the Wii, it utilizes the Gamepad, which is basically a video game controller attached to a touchscreen. Further players on Wii U games will usually use Wii controllers.

One tricky thing about the Wii was that there were actually two distinct type of wii-mote controllers. One was the basic kind they released with the console way back in 2006, the other is Wii Motion Plus, which is an enhanced motion control for games that use it. This is important because a lot of games for both the Wii and Wii U require Motion Plus. For a while there was a little dongle you could attach to the old wii-motes to make them Motion Plus, but I don't believe it's available anymore. These days all new wii-motes come with Motion Plus already there.
Last edit: 22 May 2014 10:04 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds