October 09, 2023
2550 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2746 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

One more place racist garbage is no longer welcome

More
12 Feb 2013 21:35 - 12 Feb 2013 21:58 #143969 by SuperflyPete
Check this out:
www.superflycircus.blogspot.com/2013/02/...nd-against-hate.html

I know many of you view me as a dirtbag, but this can at least illustrate that once in a blue moon I may have some merit.

BGG has banned the confederate battle flag microbadge. I even did so using a Jubal Early (Firefly, not Confederate) quote.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2013 21:58 by SuperflyPete. Reason: Dair's wisdom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, 433, Msample

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2013 21:48 #143970 by repoman
I wonder if there is a red cross micro-badge. That could be offensive to Muslims and Middle Easterners.

I wonder if there is a Viking symbol micro-badge as that may be offensive to people of non-Norman ancestry in Northern Europe.

I wonder is there is a B-17 micro-badge and how that makes the people of Germany feel?

I appreciate your sentiments, Pete, but if your logic is applied equally then there is nobody, no race, no creed, that can't cite being offended by some symbol. Censorship is censorship. Freedom of expression is more valuable than the "right" to not be offended.

If a guy puts up a Nazi symbol, or a rebel symbol, or a commie symbol, I may not like it but it gives me insight into who and what he is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Green Lantern, wadenels

More
12 Feb 2013 21:56 #143972 by Shellhead
I'm glad that you did this, and surprised that BGG took you seriously on this issue after banning you on multiple occasions.

However, I have always found the Confederate flag to be objectionable, and not just recently due to appropriation by racist groups. People today like to say that the Civil War was about states' rights and not slavery, but that's because they have forgotten (or never knew) about the Missouri Compromise of 1820 and the Compromise of 1850. Both Compromises were congressional bills passed to mandate how new states would be admitted as either free states or slave states. It's clear that the southerners were very concerned about one specific right, the right to own slaves. The Constitution of the Confederate States of America refers to slaves or slavery at least ten times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bioball

More
12 Feb 2013 21:56 #143973 by Dair
Shouldn't this thread be titled "One more place racist garbage is no longer welcome" or "One less place racist garbage is welcome"?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schweig!, SuperflyPete

More
12 Feb 2013 21:57 #143974 by Ken B.
Most people who use the Confederate flag as a symbol often claim "heritage" and "history" as reasons but there's always a wink and a nod about its loaded meaning. It's a lot like the guy who wants to study Swastikas and SS Uniforms, or "88" tattoos, but claim he's just a "fan of history."

I'm all for free speech, and I'm a southern boy through and through, but I won't weep to see good ol' boys forced to fly the flag elsewhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
12 Feb 2013 22:07 #143977 by SuperflyPete
Jeff, this isn't any of those situations. This is a singular situation. The same reason you can't yell FIRE in a crowded theater is the same reason that you can't put up a confederate flag.

You're looking at really stupid arguments, which is very unlike you. A B-27 isn't emblematic of a firebombing of Dresden, it's emblematic of an airplane. There's no deep-seated history there. And it's not one or two people being offended, it's an entire culture, in this case. Maybe you don't know a lot of black folks, I can't say that, but I do. My city is populated by more minorities than Caucasians, in fact. And I can tell you without a doubt, when a redneck has a rebel flag on his truck, he's not displaying it to show how educated he is on Constitutional theory, he's got it there to loudly, and legally, claim, "The only good nigger is a dead nigger." The way I see it, if you enslave an entire population, then let them free with provisos, and then only 40 years or so ago actually accept that they're not "2/3 a person" or lesser beings, the least courtesy you can afford them is to not slap them in the face with a symbol of the ideology that TO THIS DAY causes problems nationwide.

Remember also that the 1st Amendment only applies to government interfering with free expression, not a private business' allowance or censorship of something that is found offensive. So, I'm all in favor of a private citizen or entity shutting down the use of a symbol that, in virtually all cases, is a symbol of hatred and racism.

In the end, anything that keeps Al Sharpton off the TV is a good thing.

More
12 Feb 2013 22:20 #143979 by Michael Barnes
Speaking as a fellow southerner (and a southerner proud of much of our cultural heritage and tradition excluding anything to do with slavery and the Civil War), Ken is 100% right on the money. The confederate flag has become an out-in-the-open rallying point for racists. It's like these rednecks that bitch about "political correctness"- what they really mean to say is "why can't we say n- in public".

There's TONS of veiled racism in right wing,fringe conservative ideology. The confederate flag is one such example. It's the same kind of thing like when you're around just racist white people and they "confide" with you as a fellow white person. They take on this "well, you know, it's because he was (whisper) black" tone. It still goes on today. Don't think for a moment that it doesn't.

I'm always suspicious of war gamers, black metal fans, "fans of history" or whatever that act like stuff like the confederate flag, SS insignias, or whatever are OK and should be covered under "free speech".

I would be willing to bet that a sampling of confederate badge holders at BGG would reveal lots of extreme right-wing politics and closet racists. No doubt in my mind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stonecutter, madwookiee, bioball

More
12 Feb 2013 22:27 #143981 by metalface13
When you see people with Confederate flag emblems on their trucks in northern Idaho and backwoods Iowa, you know it's not about the South anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, JoelCFC25, jeb, Gary Sax

More
12 Feb 2013 23:16 - 12 Feb 2013 23:17 #143986 by MattFantastic
Savor it: Pete, you are totally right and this was really awesome of you!

(also thumbs up for not calling any of those racists "cunts"!)
Last edit: 12 Feb 2013 23:17 by MattFantastic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
12 Feb 2013 23:43 - 12 Feb 2013 23:43 #143988 by SGT Dave
This guy wrote a nice little piece on the phenomenon of semiotics:

xroads.virginia.edu/~class/am483_97/projects/sarratt/intro.html
Last edit: 12 Feb 2013 23:43 by SGT Dave.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds