October 09, 2023
2614 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2810 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Edition

More
25 Nov 2013 22:11 - 25 Nov 2013 22:11 #165976 by Mr. White
There's the thing too with the KS launch. They kept saying it would launch last Friday. It didn't. Apparently, guesses are that Gamezone 'submitted' the project to KS on Friday and Gamezon thought that meant the KS project would launch. It seems it takes a few days for KS to go over and approve a project, so here we are with a launch three days later.

If they don't really understand how KS operates I have little faith they know what they're doing when it comes to GW/Hasbro legal.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2013 22:11 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2013 22:25 - 25 Nov 2013 22:26 #165978 by Dr. Mabuse
Alright you guys twisted my arm, originally owned HQ, 1 split corner but complete, rat-tail-intact, unpainted and in in-fucking-credibly awesome shape for only 75 bucks USD.

Huh?

Huh?

Bah!
Last edit: 25 Nov 2013 22:26 by Dr. Mabuse.

More
25 Nov 2013 22:25 #165979 by gversace
Given the state of the English, I wouldn't be surprised if Gamezone had submitted it in time for a Friday launch, and Kickstarter came back with a bunch of questions that held it up.

More
25 Nov 2013 23:02 - 25 Nov 2013 23:08 #165981 by Mr. White
What about the KS promo video containing the original HQ commercial? I'm no lawyer, but huh?...can they do that?

All this has me thinking. I haven't owned HQ in over 15 years, much less play a session. Now I'm supposed to throw $200 at one? I dunno. I can say this has renewed my interest in HQ some. Perhaps I'll look for the original sometime after the holidays.

EDIT: Dog, folks on BGG are creating accounts, going through the checkout and shipping to the US is about $50.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2013 23:08 by Mr. White.

More
25 Nov 2013 23:40 #165983 by Dogmatix
Thanks Jeff. Appreciate the clarification.

@eek: Blank cards are kind of handy considering the number of fan-made expansion quests out there. I printed some FM and Elf/Barbarian cards (before I managed to find original sets of the latter) on labels using my color laser and slapped them onto a bunch of US and UK HQ decks bought off ebay for a few bucks. This would allow for the same approach and still have matching backs. (And, after initial tool & die work for plastic molds, professionally printed cards do seem to be the most expensive, troublesome part of game production) But, no, it's not exactly a sexy stretch goal by any means.

More
25 Nov 2013 23:49 #165986 by Bull Nakano
I was really looking forward to this, but with weak stretch goals, high cost, and no photos of the minis I don't see how this has over 200K. I have my 1989 copy and it's more charming than this.

More
26 Nov 2013 00:06 #165988 by VonTush
Part of the charm with the old game was GW's Heroic scaling...28mm models actually about 30mm with oversized heads and hands. Realistic scale (like what GW does for the LotR/Hobbit games) just looks odd to me despite the proper proportions.

More
26 Nov 2013 00:36 #165989 by dfour
I've got a buddy who's very excited about this. Heroquest was his favorite game. He's all in so no reason for me to buy to experience this game.

Not impressed with the overall presentation and price. $150 is a lot for an unknown when that could buy a big ole box of assorted fun games that are proven.

More
26 Nov 2013 05:41 #165991 by schlupp
A few thoughts:
  • It just started, so it's 31 days left, in which they can come up with more interesting stretch goals, so let's wait and see what they come up with. So far they haven't included a t-shirt, an art print or a soundtrack, but only game related stuff. I'm pretty happy about that. On the other hand complaining about stretch goals might make them re-consider (as in Dark Darker Darkest), so it is good if people voice their opinion.
  • Shipping: I bought Zombicide on Kickstarter (I actually like it quite a bit). The game was 150 $, shipping to the EU was 50 $ (I think) and customs for some Europeans another 40 $ or so. The same happens with every GMT game I order. Apparently there is just no satisfactory solution on the market to decrease shipping costs (and tax!) for everybody (unless you subsidize shipping with your profits). Just look at every boardgame kickstarter that has been done ever. Someone will be screwed over with the shipping. So, just factor shipping in and decide for yourself whether it is worth it or not. But don't complain to the guys doing the kickstarter that it is too expensive.
  • The minitiatures look great as far as I can see (impressions from the video). You get 15 heroes (likely 8 male/female characters?), which is a big improvement.
  • I think it is great that there are only 5 different pledges. No early adopters bullshit, clear communication on who gets what at which level. No super pledges, where you get your personalised model or stuff like that. Keep it sipmple.
  • These guys seem to run an established company. I would therefore assume that they are able to understand copyright law and how to approach another company to discuss a licensing agreement. Maybe someone will contact GW anyway to see whether they are fine with it or not? The fact they don't speak perfect English, doesn't automatically mean they are morons.
  • Contrary to many other Kickstarter games mentioned before, this one is a known property. You know what you get for your money. The only question is whether they will modernise the rules a bit or leave it as it is. Some advanced/modernised rules as an extra option would be nice, I'd say.

In the end it is a kickstarter, so the same issues that have been discussed before, during other kickstarters, need to be taken into account here as well: shipping costs, licensing rights, quality of the gameplay, attractiveness of the stretch goals. Those are all valid questions, I just don't see the big difference to any other kickstarter, i.e. why these guys get so much flak (on BGG and here)?

I pledged for the time being and will likely re-visit shortly before Christmas to see if it is really worth it.

More
26 Nov 2013 07:54 - 26 Nov 2013 08:20 #165993 by Mr. White

schlupp wrote: These guys seem to run an established company. I would therefore assume that they are able to understand copyright law and how to approach another company to discuss a licensing agreement. Maybe someone will contact GW anyway to see whether they are fine with it or not? The fact they don't speak perfect English, doesn't automatically mean they are morons.

Hey now, I don't think anyone has suggested they're morons so don't put that in our mouths. Thing is when you combine the fumble of the KS launch, the broken English, the odd fact they expect everyone to sort out their own shipping in Euros from listed prices in Canadian, all adds up to this possibly not being as watertight legally with the big boys as they believe.

I'm also not impressed with these stretch goals being a) things that came in the original base game or b) seemingly minis for items that used to be represented by cardboard. Where is the value here that demands the extra money?

I plan on sitting this one out, but I hope to enjoy the fireworks! :)
Last edit: 26 Nov 2013 08:20 by Mr. White.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.376 seconds