October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2712 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

FS: Dreadball Collection- Over 60% savings!

More
14 Oct 2016 22:41 - 14 Oct 2016 22:43 #236234 by Michael Barnes
Well, with Blood Bowl on the horizon, I’ve got to let go of Dreadball to get it. I was thinking I’d hang on to it, but there’s zero interest in these parts in it but Blood Bowl is already hotly anticipated in my crowd. So here’s your chance to get a nice start-up package that will be completely compatible with – and enriched by- the edition that comes out next year. Here’s what you will get in this deal:

Dreadball Deluxe- Starter set with pitch, ref, two balls, dice, cards, full ten player Trontek ‘29ers (human corporation) and Greenmoon Smackers (ork) teams, both teams partially painted to a fairly decent tabletop standard with some primed/basecoated only. These have the clear hex bases on them as well Retail $80

Dreadball Season 2 Rulebook. Retail $24.99

Five extra teams- these are the “full teams” with downed guys and extra players:

- Pelgar Mystics (12 minis)- Judwan alien dudes (about half assembled, half painted purple/blue/silver)

- Locust City Chiefs (13 minis)- giant bug dudes (about half assembled, half painted green/yellow)

- Koeputki Kolossals (16 minis)- Monkeys with centurion helmets (unassembled)

- Shan-Meeg Starhawks (14 minis)- Asterian, elf-like aliens (unassembled)

- Kalimarin Ancients (14 minis)- Cthuloid/crustacean things (unassembled)

Each team retails at $29.99.

I can also get you the rules for the other teams that are not in Season 2 via PDF.

So this is about $255.00 at retail of Dreadball…and I am selling it to you for $120 shipped.. And you’ve got four teams out of the box painted and ready to hit the pitch. You know what to do!
Last edit: 14 Oct 2016 22:43 by Michael Barnes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2016 11:11 #236255 by drewcula
Sigh.
Barnes - I'm sorry to see you go. I was hoping you could be a dark horse champion for one of my favorites.
But, if the kids ain't coming to court - it's tough to play solo.
I understand.

The new Blood Bowl box is an "auto-buy" for me. I'm looking forward to it, but I also don't expect me to stop playing DreadBall.
In the end (beginning?), DreadBall will always have three big things going for above BB:
1) Cost = DB is less expensive. Quality is not as high, but it's pretty damn good.
2) Footprint = The DB pitch is half the size of BB.
3) Playtime = A DB match takes half the time of a BB game.

If I was forever nineteen years old, BB would still be my "lifestyle" game (thanks Jeff). But in my forties, I need my progressive sports games to play faster and cost less. Sad, but true.

As far as BB goes, there's no way I can afford the entire collection like i did with DB. Instead, I'll pick up the box and the Skavens. I may, MAY, buy an Undead team if they're ever released. I'll focus on one of those teams, pimp the shit out of it, and go "highway man" - looking for the occasional pick up game and tournament.

Some F:ATtie better buy this lot! Good times ahead for the game club with a fondness for Speedball 2.

More
16 Oct 2016 15:35 - 17 Oct 2016 09:48 #236257 by Mr. White
PREDICTION: Blood Bowl = The Next Great Shelf Toad

I love Blood Bowl. Love it. I run leagues, travel overnught for tournaments, and am currently painting yet another team, and have four on order from crowdsources. All that said...I expect to see it in the Premium Shelf Toad thread less than 6 months after release. Why? All the signs are there...

* 3-4 hour play time
* Very dice heavy
* Shines in League play (repeat plays)

All of the above are the antithesis of the play environment of the modern board gamer. The first two bullets are enough to kill any game in the current climate. I know some folks like dice heavy games, but the modern board gamer has repeatedly stated they don't like dice heavy games to take as long as a BB match will. Yes, you can play the game as a one-off and have fun, but playing it repeatedly in a league with the same players is where the game blossoms into the King of All Games. Maybe, recent legacy games have helped train gamers to play regular scheduled games with the same title and same participants. So...maybe that hurdle is cleared. However...this is totally different. When your ST 5 Troll gets killed or injured for a ST loss early in the season and you can't afford to replace them...following games suck. You have to have the proper mindset to continue through 4-5 more 3-4 hour games to honor the league integrity. When a top player gets killed...yeah, I've seen people rage quit. You have to be very selective with who you run this with, players crapping out is a real drag.

Now, I expect a lot of people to buy the new BB. The FFG cardgame and, especially, the video game have both been very well received. That's a lot of new interested buyers.

I expect very few to actually stick with it.

There's also the large subset that 'used to play'. Well, my question is....why did they stop? What's going to make this go around any different? Sure GW stopped producing the game, but there's always been multiple ways to get into the game. What's going to keep them around this time?

Here's the biggest flag for me. That above subset stopped playing BB, for whatever reason, years ago. The rules to this new BB set are the same that has been out there for years...what do they expect different this time?

History can provide us a little insight here...

There are two other somewhat recent releases of very highly regarded classic games that sold gangbusters initially based on hype and legacy. These other games also retained nearly 100% of the rules of their earlier, much loved editions. No real updates beyond components. Both are now Shelf Toads. Those games? TITAN and SPACE HULK.

And they don't require the work of running a league.

I love BB. Please buy it and support it. Organize leagues. Attend local tournaments. Send GW the message to make models for the other teams.

However, if all the participants are not coming into this as a lifestyle game, I would caution you. It can be fun as one-offs, but I'm guessing you also have other faster playing two-player games. I love a BB one-off....but I also still love to play TITAN and SPACE HULK.
Last edit: 17 Oct 2016 09:48 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Columbob, drewcula, birdman37, sornars, stoic

More
16 Oct 2016 19:01 - 17 Oct 2016 10:34 #236264 by drewcula
I already own BB 2nd and 3rd edition. I need this new box like another hole in the head. But I'll get it because I really like the components. I bet I'll have fun playing it. I also bet I'll play it 1-3 times a year. After their DB investments, I doubt my club will join my enthusiasm for the classic. DB will remain our league game.

I'm fine with all of this.
Last edit: 17 Oct 2016 10:34 by drewcula.

More
17 Oct 2016 09:19 - 17 Oct 2016 09:28 #236289 by Mr. White
Andrew, Barnes,

I didn't mean for my post to sound like y'all didn't know what you're doing. I was just posting general thoughts on how I'm guessing the new BB release will play out.

It's going to be a pretty big deal. The game has grown tremendously (well, tourneys specifically) at the grassroots level and there are a lot of people excited about the idea of getting into a Blood Bowl league. And they should. A well run league is the best gaming experience I've ever had.

But my cautionary tale is that if there is one title that's going to see a lot of hopeful potential unrealized...it's going to be Blood Bowl. 'Promise of Play' indeed...

GORECHOSEN is likely to see more plays with the modern board gaming set. If GW could put a league/campaign setting on a 30-45min playing title like that...they'd strike gold. In the meantime...play Dreadball! ;)
Last edit: 17 Oct 2016 09:28 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds