October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - DOOM: The Board Game VS Space Hulk

More
10 Sep 2009 21:12 #40968 by maka
Well... I still have just played the game twice, but so far I think SH is much better than what you think it is...

I'm all for simpler components and many of my favorite games are old AT games with small and thin counters, but I'm not going to complain if a game has excellent components as long as the gameplay holds up, and I do think SH holds up...

It's a very tactical game with some tough "push-your-luck" kind of choices and is pretty balanced for a game with such different sides. Someone on BGG compared it to Ogre... Anyway, balance issues are not very problematic because the game plays so fast you usually can just play both sides in one session and see who does better with the marines...

I don't know, but this is my first tactical "corridors and rooms" game and I don't think I'll be needing any other such game at least in quite a long time...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2009 22:15 #40971 by NeonPeon
Shellhead wrote:

I think that Space Hulk has crossed a line, particularly with this new edition, with amazing components and yet a weak game. Kind of like Heroscape, only with less set-up time. That takes games in a direction that I don't support. I would rather see more modest components and affordable games that have more strategy and interesting mechanics.

Even though I voted for Doom and made fun of Space Hulk, I must disagree. I've only played the computer version that came out last year, and it was pretty damn good. It kept me engrossed for several hours, but I lost interest when GW gave the cease and desist, and the interface screwed me one too many times.

More
11 Sep 2009 10:45 #40991 by Shellhead
NeonPeon wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

I think that Space Hulk has crossed a line, particularly with this new edition, with amazing components and yet a weak game. Kind of like Heroscape, only with less set-up time. That takes games in a direction that I don't support. I would rather see more modest components and affordable games that have more strategy and interesting mechanics.

Even though I voted for Doom and made fun of Space Hulk, I must disagree. I've only played the computer version that came out last year, and it was pretty damn good. It kept me engrossed for several hours, but I lost interest when GW gave the cease and desist, and the interface screwed me one too many times.

What if there was a budget version of Space Hulk for $50 that had no plastic figures, just high-quality cardboard components along the lines of Arkham Horror? Would that be a good game? Or is everybody just swooning over the minis and overlooking the minimal game?

More
11 Sep 2009 11:02 #40992 by kookoobah
I really like the game, despite the simplicity. Such simple rules, and yet the theme comes out very much so. The rules are so *ehem, ehem* elegant.

At any rate, I've spent more than my fair share of free time today reading up on Space Marines and Terminators and Librarians or whatnot. Space Hulk is a real Games Workshop gateway game, and I'm only glad I can't paint for shit or I might actually start playing WH40K.

More
11 Sep 2009 11:15 #40993 by Pat II
I played Space Hulk 1st edition the day it was put on the shelves. After a few minutes we just wanted to pack it up and get on with our game of 40k that was planned. We did play it more but it was always the same experience - filler. Nice package but not enough meat. Thye could easily have thrown in more variety this time around.

Doom is far from my favorite but it gets my vote today.

Doom

More
14 Sep 2009 09:56 #41119 by ChristopherMD
Sorry for the late tally, I've been offline for a few days.

DOOM: The Board Game = 7
NeonPeon
Aarontu
JonJacob
Protoss
Mr Skeletor
Shellhead
Pat II

Space Hulk = 19
sydo
Ken B.
ozjesting
Michael Barnes
SanIlDefanso
dysjunct
LilRed
Malloc
Rliyen
Ancient_of_MuMu
maka
Mr MOTO
MrZir
Death and Taxis
Citadel
Merkles
kookoobah
moofrank
Columbob

More
14 Sep 2009 17:35 #41211 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I expected more of a 5 or 6 to 1 victory rather than a 2.5 to 1 but it still was clear.

More
10 Jun 2012 00:24 #127763 by bomber
Threadomancer alert!

Been interesting to follow this as I just got a brand new Space Hulk (en route) and still have doom with the expansions, which I love from the rules reading but have not had it out on the table yet. From a complete ATspazzmonaut view (mine'.. I don't even know how Fortress America works for example) SH seems a bit limited in terms of geometry, lots of long corridors, and aliens and marines in a line, no room to get past, so where are the tactics? Front man kneel down, aliens keep out of range of gunfire, marines roll 6's and avoid triples? I'm totally not getting it, meaning, I can't yet wrap my head around why you guys are loving it, I haven't got the rules to read yet, so this is based on some videos which just seem to show bored looking guys moving minis up and down 1 space wide corridors and rolling 3d6. At least doom seems more open, more things going on, more variety in monsters, weapons etc.

I'm not saying Doom >>>>>> Space Hulk, I'd just like a bit of trashy salve for my spazzmoidery.

Cheers

More
10 Jun 2012 09:31 #127774 by jgriff
The long corridors are easy for the Marines - and there aren't many of them. Corners and lack of line of sight are god-send's for the Stealers and the Marines are trying to keep some range and keep moving. The trick is that the objectives are usually on the Marines, so they have to keep moving and they can't just make a defensive position and sit there.

For the marines to be assured of mowing down Stealers, they need overlapping overwatch and that's real hard to do as you have to keep moving.

Hell, just play the first scenario and then flip sides and see what you think from there. As soon as you think you know how to do it, then the other player knows it too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bomber

More
10 Jun 2012 11:19 #127778 by Sevej
The main portion of tactics in Space Hulk, IMHO, is how you spend your command points. Sure there's some positioning, but the important decision is on command points.

The tight corridors and small rooms are actually integral to the gameplay and make the game much more tight. Less LOS arguments and you have to really think how to queue your terminators, among other things.

The most fun thing? Overwatch!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bomber

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds