October 09, 2023
2551 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2748 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Talisman VS Runebound

More
29 Sep 2009 00:01 - 29 Sep 2009 00:03 #43102 by Jason Lutes
Talisman, mainly because of Runebound's stupefyingly lame movement dice, its uninspired fantasy backdrop, and the fact that it's got bad game-shui where it could have been so right.
Last edit: 29 Sep 2009 00:03 by Jason Lutes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2009 05:03 #43114 by Zimeon
In Talisman, you can start out as a benevolent priest and before you know it, you're an evil drunkard who just punched the shit out of a farmer at the tavern.

Nuff said.

I love Runebound for what it is and what it tries, but my vote goes to Talisman.

(For references, see HiveGod's post.)

More
29 Sep 2009 06:38 #43117 by KingPut
To play Runebound I need coffee or Red Bull to keep me awake.

To play Talisman I need a couple of beers and diaper to stop me from pissing myself from laughter.

More
29 Sep 2009 11:57 #43147 by Schweig!
Mr MOTO wrote:

Is Runeband some sort of hybrid version of both games, Schweig?

There is no way a game of Talisman ever takes six hours. Perhaps this Runeband game does though.

Did someone ban your cartoons? I miss them.

Oh well, I didn't even know how to spell "the other game". ;)

I couldn't take my drawing "gear" to England, because there was a weight restriction on my flight. However, I'm working on a new idea and I brought my tablet.

More
29 Sep 2009 12:31 #43154 by Michael Barnes
and diaper to stop me from pissing myself from laughter.

This is where Frank got mixed up and thought that TALISMAN was a kid's game...he saw all these grown men wearing diapers playing it.

Somebody brought up the movement dice...Lutes, I think it was. Has there ever been a stupider mechanic in all of gaming? You mean I have to roll to see if I can walk into the woods? Jesus, how many aggregate minutes of game time have been spent in RUNEBOUND waiting for somebody to budget out their movement dice so their wayfaring hero can walk three spaces? TALISMAN, you roll and move. Done. You've got two- maybe three- choices. If you're in the inner circle, less. It cuts to the chase.

As for complaining about TALISMAN not having "meat" or "depth"...that's like saying that you didn't like RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD PART II because it didn't have enough liberal subtexts or gun control messages.

It makes sense that RUNEBOUND is deeper than TALISMAN though...shit sinks, it doesn't float.

More
29 Sep 2009 13:17 #43165 by dave
Michael Barnes wrote:

Jesus, how many aggregate minutes of game time have been spent in RUNEBOUND waiting for somebody to budget out their movement dice so their wayfaring hero can walk three spaces?

Given Runebound's low level of interaction, one player can roll and plan while the previous player resolves post-movement stuff. This works best with 3+ players so you can still have a player keep the active player honest. But then that makes things a bit hectic... which is my biggest problem with Runebound, in that it gives me a headache.

TALISMAN, you roll and move. Done.

CHUTES AND LADDERS, you roll and move. Done.

More
29 Sep 2009 14:03 #43178 by Michael Barnes
Wow, this place really is turning into BGG...now we're bringing up the dreaded "game=CANDYLAND" thing.

Dave, if the red ass in your avatar is my mind, then the yellow cock is RUNEBOUND's movement system. It fucks with it. Not because it's necessarily hard to manage, but because it's just so stupid and I can't believe someone didn't say "hey, wait, this blows" before it was published. I remember the first time we played, I seriously thought about chucking the movent dice and doing something else. Four turns into the game.

MIDDLE-EARTH QUEST actually takes the RUNEBOUND movement and does something with it meaningful. You still get the restriction, but you can always move anywhere as long as you're willing to pay the price, which thematically represents extra exertion to get through areas that are difficult to travel or that perhaps the heroes didn't really prepare for.

Aside from that, the combat in RUNEBOUND really blows. The concept is OK, but watching somebody go through it is just dreadful, let alone when you're actually doing it.

Nobody here is saying TALISMAN is this amazingly rich, in-depth game. It isn't. It's STUPID beyond belief, it's asinine and has almost no redeeming qualities in terms of "sophisticated" gaming whatsoever. Remember what Vasel said? "It's not for discerning gamers". I'm not a discerning gamer, at least not in that sense. TALISMAN is pure fun that doesn't try to be more than what it is. It knows it's ridiculous.

RUNEBOUND doesn't. It thinks it's a real game. It isn't. You fundamentally do the same conceptual thing in RUNEBOUND, but there's a pile of game garbage on top of it burying all the fun in a woeful grave of- yes- fun murder. The game itself is a fun murderer.

More
29 Sep 2009 14:07 #43180 by Schweig!
Michael Barnes wrote:

Somebody brought up the movement dice...Lutes, I think it was. Has there ever been a stupider mechanic in all of gaming? You mean I have to roll to see if I can walk into the woods?

Exactly! That's what I didn't like about TALISMAN, too.

More
29 Sep 2009 15:40 #43203 by dave
Michael Barnes wrote:

Wow, this place really is turning into BGG...now we're bringing up the dreaded "game=CANDYLAND" thing.

Oh, I'm sorry, I must have gotten confused by the complaints about downtime...

More
29 Sep 2009 16:21 #43217 by Michael Barnes
Well played sir, that's trash talk I can respect right there.

When it comes from a TALISMAN voter, at least.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds