October 09, 2023
2691 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2856 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
29 Jan 2019 22:13 #291064 by GorillaGrody
Finished some more Sigmar stuff, signed up for my first tournament in February.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, allismom3, Brewmiester, hotseatgames, Hadik, WadeMonnig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2019 02:01 #291942 by Da Bid Dabid
Still early WIP. But this big ork is coming along... Just making him for fun and to test some sculpting and scratchbuilding... who knows maybe he'll be the start of a new army.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, jur, Brewmiester, birdman37, GorillaGrody

More
01 May 2019 07:51 #296356 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
Spent the May Day holiday working on these. Still work in progress.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, cropcircles, Hadik, GorillaGrody

More
01 May 2019 17:20 #296372 by Michael Barnes
Are those Renedra? I want some generic knights for a human army I want to do.

More
01 May 2019 23:07 - 01 May 2019 23:14 #296386 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
These are actually Perry's! They're tad smaller than your usual 28mm (such as Oathmark). These are the metals, but couple of months after I have these, the Perry released some plastics. Just my rotten luck.

Perry has two range of medieval knights: Agincourt & War of the Roses, you just need to pick 1. If you need something chunkier, check out the Fireforge plastics (although their website is a pain to work with).

Their plastic medieval infantry are also very good (but, again, smaller), available both in Agincourt & War of the Roses setting. Although I have to warn you about the kits peculiarities. These kits are super-historical, that their weapon loadout will be according to their historical prevalence in battles. The WotR infantry box has 36 dudes, but can only make 18 billmen, but up to 30 archers. At 20 pounds for 40 dudes, I can't complain though.
Last edit: 01 May 2019 23:14 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, jur

More
02 May 2019 09:59 #296396 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
I just started painting minis for the first time in my life. On a whim, I bought a Reaper paint starter kit which comes with three minis and a "guide book" to walk you through how to paint them. The starter kit is pretty genius marketing, because it did exactly what they wanted -- it got me hooked. I bought a second Reaper paint kit, and a handful of their resin Bones minis, and some brushes, and before I knew it ... I'm neck deep in another goddamn hobby.

What I've decided is that with some patience, it's not hard to paint a mini that looks "okay." That's about where I'm at. But then I see stuff like in this thread, or on the internet, and I realize there is a VERY HIGH ceiling to what can be done. It's honestly kind of intimidating. But I'm having fun so far!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, hotseatgames

More
02 May 2019 10:14 #296398 by Colorcrayons

Joebot wrote: What I've decided is that with some patience, it's not hard to paint a mini that looks "okay." That's about where I'm at. But then I see stuff like in this thread, or on the internet, and I realize there is a VERY HIGH ceiling to what can be done. It's honestly kind of intimidating. But I'm having fun so far!

Congrats on the new hobby. May it be fulfilling for you.

The ceiling gets raised every year as well. Mostly because, the hobby is broader in participation, the people that do participate who now had a lot of practice, and since YouTube has been created we now have epic tutorial videos free of charge.

But don't let the height stop you.

Miniatures are merely three dimensional coloring books.

Once you have brush control, palette technique, and a few other personal tricks up your sleeve after some experience, you develop your own style and you get results you can be quite happy with

Don't fall into the trap of comparing the work of others with your own. Unless your trying to build a technique, there is no point in the jealousy that results in such comparisons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Gary Sax, GorillaGrody

More
02 May 2019 10:27 - 02 May 2019 10:28 #296399 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic What Minis Are You Painting?

Colorcrayons wrote:
Once you have brush control, palette technique, and a few other personal tricks up your sleeve after some experience, you develop your own style and you get results you can be quite happy with

Don't fall into the trap of comparing the work of others with your own. Unless your trying to build a technique, there is no point in the jealousy that results in such comparisons.

Brush control! Is that what you call it when I slop white paint all over the mini's face when I'm trying to paint a fucking eyeball? I swear, my minis all look like they're wearing goggles, or they look very startled.

But thanks for the encouragement! It's much appreciated.
Last edit: 02 May 2019 10:28 by Joebot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
02 May 2019 10:32 #296400 by hotseatgames
I get by on the notion that Duncan Rhodes is actually a demon, sent to cause chaos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37

More
02 May 2019 11:06 #296405 by GorillaGrody
I think my secret, such as it is, is “don’t paint eyeballs.” At least, not usually. A lot of the pleasure of going for a pretty-darn-good painted miniature can be lost in the quest to master a few unnecessary details.

85 per cent of all miniatures look great without painted eyeballs. And the truth is, badly painted eyeballs will really ruin a figure, at least for me.

See also “edge highlighting.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.351 seconds