October 09, 2023
2628 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2820 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
03 Nov 2014 10:11 #189771 by san il defanso

Sagrilarus wrote: No offense to you personally, but that part right there made my eyes glaze over. When this kind of conversation hits the table I tune out and pick a ship because it's red, and another because it has a cool looking big-ass gun sticking out the front of it and I play them. It's just my nature. To some extent I feel like it's cheating to work the angles. I don't want to play moneyball. It takes away from the experience for me. I work in big-data all day, so to some extent this may be a little too close to work.

You just summed up my big issue with every "customizable" game in history. CCGs, minis, anything like that, I don't want to have to think about it at all while I'm not playing the game. Any game that requires me to worry about how I'll play when I'm not actually playing? Not for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2014 10:42 #189777 by Green Lantern
I got to try a new game over the weekend and played Pandemic a couple of times. I love how fast it plays and how it forces the team to maximize efficiency. You certainly can't waste precious actions or outbreaks will overrun your poor little CDC team. Looking forward to playing this one some more.

P.S. - is anyone else seeing this weird layout when browsing the forums? Everything is all scrunched into a newspaper column on the right side of the threads.

More
03 Nov 2014 10:44 #189778 by JEM

Sagrilarus wrote: This is part of the reason I hate playing at public venues. There's always some guy there that just takes joy from working the seams, and I don't want to sit at the table with him. It's anti-social as hell.
S.

That gave me a flash-back to Games Workshop in Leeds somewhere in the 90's. Playing Warhammer 40,000 with a larger group (everyone bring X points kind of thing), and this one cheeser had managed to make some terminator champion or whatever that had both a teleporter and psychic teleporting abilities, so he could pop up, kill a bunch of stuff and pop back out of range every turn. To this day I don't know if it was rules-legal BS or cheating BS, I just know it was BS. This was 1st edition, I think, so there always was scope for creasing those seams in the rules.

I always picked whichever army had either the fluff or look that I enjoyed.

More
03 Nov 2014 11:19 #189788 by VonTush

San Il Defanso wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: No offense to you personally, but that part right there made my eyes glaze over. When this kind of conversation hits the table I tune out and pick a ship because it's red, and another because it has a cool looking big-ass gun sticking out the front of it and I play them. It's just my nature. To some extent I feel like it's cheating to work the angles. I don't want to play moneyball. It takes away from the experience for me. I work in big-data all day, so to some extent this may be a little too close to work.

You just summed up my big issue with every "customizable" game in history. CCGs, minis, anything like that, I don't want to have to think about it at all while I'm not playing the game. Any game that requires me to worry about how I'll play when I'm not actually playing? Not for me.

That is the precise reason I love miniature gaming! It allows me to continue the game beyond the table. A way to interact and play with my toys without someone being there to play with me. But yeah, I fully realize that isn't for everyone. And I'll admit, laying in bed, my wife sleeping and me flipping through a binder of cards...Not a situation most people want in their life.

For me, there's nothing really more enjoyable than being presented with a scenario and then putting together the team that I want to accomplish the objective. And perhaps that's why I like the Leader Series of games from DVG so much.

More
03 Nov 2014 13:16 #189813 by RobertB
Green Latern wrote:

P.S. - is anyone else seeing this weird layout when browsing the forums? Everything is all scrunched into a newspaper column on the right side of the threads.

Yes, I see it. I think it has something to do with Google Chrome, AdBlocker, or an interaction between both. This is just a guess, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Green Lantern

More
03 Nov 2014 13:20 #189815 by Legomancer
When I was into Magic in the early 90s I lived and breathed Magic. I always had a copy of InQuest on me so I could build decks in-between classes. I loved thinking about different Magic decks and working on strategies, reading about new cards, and so forth.

But that was 20 years ago and I'm done with that now. Netrunner is a great game, it's a lot of fun, but I will never, never, ever sit down and construct a deck. It won't happen. I won't even just grab one off a forum and put it together. That isn't what I want out of a game anymore. Even stuff like Hearthstone, where it's all right there in front of me, I'm just not going to do it. That's time I just don't want to spend anymore.

More
03 Nov 2014 13:21 #189816 by Erik Twice

Green Lantern wrote: P.S. - is anyone else seeing this weird layout when browsing the forums? Everything is all scrunched into a newspaper column on the right side of the threads.

I have that same issue but I don't know why :/

Also, my Adblocker is turned off so it cannot be the cause.

More
03 Nov 2014 13:24 #189817 by Black Barney
Lego, I used to write for Inquest!

More
03 Nov 2014 13:35 #189820 by DukeofChutney

Erik Twice wrote:

Green Lantern wrote: P.S. - is anyone else seeing this weird layout when browsing the forums? Everything is all scrunched into a newspaper column on the right side of the threads.

I have that same issue but I don't know why :/

Also, my Adblocker is turned off so it cannot be the cause.

I get this too, but only in certain threads. Not sure why.

More
03 Nov 2014 13:51 #189825 by VonTush
For me, Chrome does that, Firefox doesn't.
I think it is a browser issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Green Lantern

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.407 seconds