October 09, 2023
2779 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2928 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
29 Apr 2015 09:00 #201603 by Chaz
Some buddies and I finished up a VASSAL game of A Study in Emerald last night. It had a bit of a slow start, but I chalk that up to a combination of it being the first game for all of us, and the game itself seeming to have an exponential growth curve. The Zombies card got picked up early, so they were the ongoing threat, and they ultimately ended the game. I had the team assignments pegged by about halfway through. That made things really interesting for me because I was way in the lead, and the other Loyalist was trailing by a wide margin. I had to delay ending the game to try and push some points his way. Ultimately, he managed to end the game via zombies, and had some hidden points, so the Loyalists came out ahead. Then I beat my teammate by one point for the win.

It was a pretty cool game. I definitely want to play again. We play weekly on VASSAL in two-hour blocks, and we were able to get through the entire game in two sessions, including a lengthy rules explanation and the usual VASSAL shenanigans. That' pretty fast compared to our four-session play of Britannia recently. Thumbs up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2015 09:47 #201604 by Gary Sax
^That sounds like a BLAST. Definitely need to play my copy more, it's only gotten about 5 plays.

More
29 Apr 2015 09:54 #201606 by charlest

Shapeshifter wrote: One night werewolf (Bezier games)
After all the positive reports I wanted to try this variant of werewolf, especially since people assured me it played well with 4.
In all honesty, I was a bit underwhelmed. I felt it lacked the drama of regular werewolf, and I am pretty confident this game shines brighter with more than 4 players.
The role of the troublemaker and robber also made the game feel a bit more random, with less control of what is happening.
This is not a hughe problem for such a short game, but the fact you only have one night to manipulate the system, having a random element switch your role without any chance to counter this switch is a bit...well....weird and frustrating. Not a bad game by any stretch, and we had some good discussions while playing.
I liked the fact trying to convince/manipulate players is just as crucial here than in the vanilla version makes it a good alternative.

While some people like it with 4, we've always kept it mainly to 5+. 4 is very frail and prone to faltering if the roleset is not perfectly selected.

More
29 Apr 2015 12:11 #201616 by edulis
Got rocked by a 6 A-wing swarm in a game of X-wing. Yes 6 of them. Good lord. Flown well with lots of blocking and lots and lots of shots. First time I've seen this this build.

More
01 May 2015 11:08 #201745 by Columbob
6 player Turfmaster last night. Finished first, third and dead last (damn handicaps) for an overall tie for the win. Final race had the steeples, loved it when someone got stuck behind them because of poor dice rolling.

More
01 May 2015 11:46 - 01 May 2015 11:49 #201750 by aaxiom
How do you delete a post around here? For some reason, I've been double-posting... and would like to avoid it. Thanks!
Last edit: 01 May 2015 11:49 by aaxiom.

More
01 May 2015 11:47 #201751 by aaxiom

Columbob wrote: 6 player Turfmaster last night. Finished first, third and dead last (damn handicaps) for an overall tie for the win. Final race had the steeples, loved it when someone got stuck behind them because of poor dice rolling.

Say, out of curiosity, can Winner's Circle be easily home-modified to be Turfmaster, or are there other elements to Turfmaster making a home-mod impractical?

More
01 May 2015 12:08 #201753 by lj1983

edulis wrote: Got rocked by a 6 A-wing swarm in a game of X-wing. Yes 6 of them. Good lord. Flown well with lots of blocking and lots and lots of shots. First time I've seen this this build.

I've seen it once or twice, and its definetely a high-skill build. I'd be interested to see what you were playing against them.

It has all the classic swarm pros/cons, just with alittle better durability and maneuverability at the cost of some damage. I've seen it with 4 prototypes and 2 PTL greens, or 6 prototypes, with 2 having proton rockets (I think the PTL version is alittle stronger). kills BBBBz, and most fat ships and really limits the effectiveness of control builds, whether stress or ion. Suffers against phantoms especially and (less so) against soontir. 2 dice attacks just have a hard time getting through 4 agility. But there is something terrifying looking across the table and being outnumbered 2 or 3 to 1.

More
01 May 2015 14:59 #201765 by Columbob

aaxiom wrote:

Columbob wrote: 6 player Turfmaster last night. Finished first, third and dead last (damn handicaps) for an overall tie for the win. Final race had the steeples, loved it when someone got stuck behind them because of poor dice rolling.

Say, out of curiosity, can Winner's Circle be easily home-modified to be Turfmaster, or are there other elements to Turfmaster making a home-mod impractical?

I'm not familiar enough with Winner's Circle to be of help here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom

More
01 May 2015 15:06 #201766 by aaxiom

Columbob wrote:

aaxiom wrote:

I'm not familiar enough with Winner's Circle to be of help here.

Oooo, apologies. I thought that one was a reimplementation of the other... but they're two different titles. Sorry about that. :-(
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.788 seconds