October 09, 2023
2635 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2825 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
02 Jul 2014 01:56 #181464 by ThirstyMan
Like me you mean?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2014 07:06 - 02 Jul 2014 12:48 #181465 by lj1983
I played BattleCon for the first time last night. I'm not a huge fighting game fan, so I hadn't paid any attention to it. Holy shit that's an awesome game.

now i wants it.
Last edit: 02 Jul 2014 12:48 by lj1983.

More
02 Jul 2014 08:06 #181466 by Legomancer
Played Among the Stars with the Ambassadors expansion last night. AtS is a pretty good game, and the actual Ambassadors aren't bad, but man, this is a game that has drowned itself in promos, expansions, add-ons, Kickstarter extras, and other junk. We had to spend about a half hour figuring out what everything in the box was and whether or not we needed it for setup and so forth. There was also an promo or something with ambassadors based on game reviewers (Vasel, Rahdo, Undead Viking, etc) that were just dumb and taking up space.

More
02 Jul 2014 08:48 #181467 by Erik Twice
I finally played my own copy of Citadels!

It was the third time I played and the second in a really long time my friends played it so we were going in practically in blank. The first turns were dumb, we had no idea what to do or how to play the roles but soon we got into it and started to get into mindgames. It's a fun game, I should get some sleeves for it soon :)

More
02 Jul 2014 10:36 #181478 by Ska_baron
Played Citadels recently for the first time in about 10+ years and could not have been less interested. To be fair, there was something else I was needing to do, so I wasn't 100% focused, but it really didnt do it for me at all any more.

More
02 Jul 2014 10:59 #181485 by jeb
Not in a gaming place for some reason. I have been playing SAN JUAN, which is harmless. I thought about TITAN kind of out of blue--maybe it's all the dice shaming posts I have seen in social media lately.

Kind of tired a lot. I am getting old and boring.

More
02 Jul 2014 10:59 - 02 Jul 2014 11:41 #181486 by bfkiller
I've played very few games in 2014, but the wife and I have played a few in the past week (first games I've played since April).

Mage Knight: We played a game of Full Conquest, which is our go-to mode. Her score slaughtered mine: 143-72. I should have played more aggressively and conquered some of the keeps she'd previously conquered to at least close the gap.

Firefly: We tried the Pirates & Bounty Hunters expansion. I was Jubal Early in his ship and she was the other new guy in the other new ship. I was just about to drop off a bounty to claim victory by collecting a fifth goal token when she raided my ship to collect a goal token for herself as well as steal one of mine to snatch victory for herself.

Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit: As always, I played as the Trade Federation and she played as the Naboolians(?). What a close, back-and-forth game! The palace guards were being mowed down by my Battle Droids. Then Captain Panaka fell while guarding the Queen (though it turns out it was her decoy). Darth Maul killed Qui-Gon but was quickly cut down by a vengeful Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan swooped into the palace, but the wife made the tactical error of running past Battle Droids to get to the third floor instead of destroying the stragglers on his way. This would come back to bite her in the ass.

On the battlefield, my Battle Droids were able to bring down the shields by taking down one of those dinosaur things. I mowed down her Gungans with my AATs, though her catapults were quite competent at mowing down my AATs in return.

In the end, my Battle Droids that Obi-Wan ran past earlier were able to make it to the third floor, kill the Queen's decoy and secure victory for the glorious Trade Federation. This occurred just after Anakin failed in his attempt to reach the final spot on his flight path and destroy every droid. Epic game. I think my wife has learned her lesson: the best defence is a good offence.

Oh, and I rolled a pair of double-hits with a Destroyer Droid to kill Captain Panaka and a trio of double-hits with Darth Maul to kill Qui-Gon in back-to-back attacks. The odds of five double-hits with five dice? 1 in 7,776. My midichlorian count must be off the fucking charts.
Last edit: 02 Jul 2014 11:41 by bfkiller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, jeb, Dr. Mabuse, Msample, Jackwraith, charlest, Gregarius

More
02 Jul 2014 11:47 #181489 by Sagrilarus
My boys have rediscovered Quarriors, and I think my constant reminders that I don't have to be present for them to play board games is finally sinking in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
02 Jul 2014 21:02 #181528 by wadenels
Played a 2P game of Thunder Alley because I'm impatient and I wanted to. Loved it. It's a team strategy / hand management game all the way through. Very tactical and positioning is critical.

The rules seem really simple, but I found out the hard way that it's important to do a few movement examples before the first play. I thought I had explained everything well using just a couple quick examples while I went through the rules, but I realized about two turns in that my wife wasn't really getting it. We paused and I used the current track situation to explain how each type of movement could be used to an advantage, which I should have done to begin with. Understanding how movement works, and understanding how movement can be set up for a big draft/push later in the turn are two different things.

Also, the damage mechanic works great, and I almost blew up half my cars on the last lap.

I really want to play it with more players. With 2 it works well, but unless your opponent is playing like a real bastard it isn't too difficult to keep your cars in groups that can always benefit from drafting, leading, or pursuit. With more players and fewer cars per player it seems that you'd have to coordinate more, which could be really interesting.

Anyway, highly recommended if a racing game where managing and coordinating a team of cars around the track interests you. Very different from games like Ave Caesar or Formula D/De.

More
02 Jul 2014 21:12 #181530 by Michael Barnes
Wonder how it compares to Um Reifenbreite, which is also a team racer.

Very excited to be getting a review copy...love it when GMT stretches out of the wargames genre.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.722 seconds