October 09, 2023
2550 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2746 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
11 Jul 2014 20:20 #182070 by Michael Barnes
One day I will be remembered as the man that saved Beowulf: The Legend from obscurity.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2014 20:39 #182072 by OldHippy

Michael Barnes wrote: One day I will be remembered as the man that saved Beowulf: The Legend from obscurity.

I remember Steve Weeks championing this years ago... but no one listened until you brought it up. In fact most of his game preferences have become much more common around here since he's been gone. Back then everyone seemed to like longer more chrome filled games but he always championed short and simple. That man was, in some ways, ahead of his time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax

More
11 Jul 2014 21:36 #182075 by repoman
He was also an asshole which made it easy to miss the few nuggets of wisdom in his heaping mountains of bullshit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
11 Jul 2014 22:06 #182077 by Sagrilarus
I do have to admit that I had a lot in common with him from a game preference perspective. His podcast was good as well. He just had a tendency to drop his pants here at FortressAt, which was pretty embarrassing for everyone.

S.

More
12 Jul 2014 05:18 #182081 by Cranberries

repoman wrote: He was also an .nimwit which made it easy to miss the few nuggets of wisdom in his heaping mountains of bull.poo.

This is what my multiple profanity browser plugins do to that sentence.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
12 Jul 2014 09:51 #182086 by Legomancer
The other day I played Settlers of Catan with my wife and a friend of hers who wanted to try it out. I know it's currently la mode to talk about how awful and random that game is, but man, it stands up. I placed last and poorly -- I could see my mistake 3 seconds after I put down my second house an sure enough, I got hemmed in and denied stuff. I got to a 3 harbor but not fast enough and the newbie had a sheep engine and sheep port going very quickly. My wife won with uncontested longest road, biggest army, and some point cards (cards were going to be the only thing that saved me but my sheep numbers were terrible.) Newbie ended up with 6 points to my 5, which shows how badly I did.

It's still a great game and the hell with the haters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: black inferno

More
12 Jul 2014 10:31 #182091 by repoman
Who hates Catan? The game is great. Put in little Enterprises and call it Star Trek Catan and it's even better.

More
12 Jul 2014 10:38 #182092 by Gary Sax
My sense is there aren't too many people around here who dislike Catan, but I agree, it's popular to dislike it at BGG.

More
12 Jul 2014 10:42 #182093 by Stonecutter

Legomancer wrote: The other day I played Settlers of Catan with my wife and a friend of hers who wanted to try it out. I know it's currently la mode to talk about how awful and random that game is, but man, it stands up. I placed last and poorly -- I could see my mistake 3 seconds after I put down my second house an sure enough, I got hemmed in and denied stuff. I got to a 3 harbor but not fast enough and the newbie had a sheep engine and sheep port going very quickly. My wife won with uncontested longest road, biggest army, and some point cards (cards were going to be the only thing that saved me but my sheep numbers were terrible.) Newbie ended up with 6 points to my 5, which shows how badly I did.

It's still a great game and the hell with the haters.

Yeah, not here it aint. Catan is and always will be the shit. Use the resource deck instead of dice if you want to be a total ninny, but really, there's nothing that game does that isn't significantly improved upon by adding Cities and Knights. It makes every turn matter. Just never play with any number other than 4 and you're golden.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy, black inferno

More
12 Jul 2014 11:16 #182098 by Michael Barnes
Catan is now regarded like how Talisman was 10 years ago.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.472 seconds