October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
25 Aug 2014 20:50 - 25 Aug 2014 20:59 #185912 by wadenels
Played Mini Car Wars. Not impressed. There's some ideas that could translate to a good game, but in this case that didn't happen. This really feels like a game I would have designed on graph paper in 7th grade, and that ain't a compliment. I understand that Mini Car Wars is quite different from proper Car Wars. That's a strange place to be because I can't imagine anyone caring about Car Wars after playing Mini Car Wars. If it doesn't work as a gateway, and it doesn't perform well on its own, then what's the point?
The rules take up 3 pages but could have fit on one if they weren't written in such a rambling and disjoint manner. Not worth the $3 it costs.

Played the new edition of Pocket Ogre too. Not bad, but not terribly good. I can see how the game could be really appealing to the right person, but not me I guess. It's just interesting enough and comes with enough counters to keep an Ogre fan happily busy, but without nostalgia working in my favor I didn't find it very interesting. I see a lot of posts on BGG looking for compatible scenarios which leads me to believe I'm not the only one who feels it lacks something. The price is right though. I'd recommend it for Ogre fans, but if you're an Ogre fan you probably have one of the non-DE editions already and then you don't need this.
Also, the rules are better than Mini Car Wars but that doesn't take much. At one point it basically says "no stacking" but shortly thereafter it says you can ram a unit with an Ogre and stay in the space to ram it again; if you ram a 3-strength infantry twice it isn't dead, so now stacking is allowed or something? Who is editing these things?!

Both are going on the trade pile. Jury's out on whether I should have spent that $6 on beer instead.
Last edit: 25 Aug 2014 20:59 by wadenels.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2014 21:17 #185913 by SuperflyPete

wadenels wrote: Played Mini Car Wars. Not impressed. There's some ideas that could translate to a good game, but in this case that didn't happen. This really feels like a game I would have designed on graph paper in 7th grade, and that ain't a compliment.

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/68504/outrider

We have the technology.

I'm getting a review copy, I'll let you know how it goes. They are KSing it (shocker) and it looks outstanding. Might even back it if it doesn't suck.

More
25 Aug 2014 22:47 #185918 by Josh Look

SuperflyTNT wrote: The cards didn't have any flavor whatsoever...it was Random Marine #1 who has X attack and Y value being played with your character card (which I did like). With Marvel, each card has a purpose and a reason to exist.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm guess you only saw it and didn't play it.

The cards have SOOOOOOOOOO much flavor. Quarantine Proceedure, which allows you to throw out the top card of your deck if you want is the only way to get rid of Chestbursters. Electric Prod lets you move Aliens to a different location. I'd have to check for the names of the cards to list more, but literally EVERY card has a name paired with an effect that makes sense. Top that off with the shit going on with Event cards doing things based on what objective you're on and Hazard cards that do different things based on where you are and how many you've pulled (this is where the Nostromo went into self destruct)...so much theme here.

I think you saw the starting deck cards, Pete, which are generic dudes. You do buy up cards for all the characters from the movies and (surprise) they all shit you see them do in the movies. Marvel also starts you off with generic S.H.I.E.L.D. dudes.

And really, it couldn't get any farther from Alien pasted on Legendary. Cards from the Alien deck coming out facedown, moving throughout the ship has a feel not at all dissimilar to how blip counters work in Space Hulk, and we all know where that idea really came from. You have hit points. There is player elimination, which Marvel does not have. Wounds work completely differently. The list goes on and on.

And for the record, every piece of art on the mat is on a card somewhere in the game. I'll agree with you on the art, though....yeesh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
25 Aug 2014 22:49 - 25 Aug 2014 22:57 #185919 by Josh Look

SuperflyTNT wrote:

wadenels wrote: Played Mini Car Wars. Not impressed. There's some ideas that could translate to a good game, but in this case that didn't happen. This really feels like a game I would have designed on graph paper in 7th grade, and that ain't a compliment.

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/68504/outrider

We have the technology.

I'm getting a review copy, I'll let you know how it goes. They are KSing it (shocker) and it looks outstanding. Might even back it if it doesn't suck.

I have the PNP of Outrider. It blows. Granted, I only have what was in the base game, if you can call it that, but I was entirely unimpressed (and I really get into the Mad Max car chase shit). The base game gave me no incentive to buy/print more stuff out for it.
Last edit: 25 Aug 2014 22:57 by Josh Look.

More
25 Aug 2014 23:36 #185921 by ThirstyMan

bfkiller wrote:

hotseatgames wrote:

Legomancer wrote: It's too big and too long and has a lot of downtime. Too many people I know just aren't interested in it.

You have unwittingly, yet perfectly, described my penis.

Whose PENIS(es) have you been describing?

I think the correct word is PENII

More
26 Aug 2014 05:18 #185923 by scissors

More
26 Aug 2014 16:49 #185938 by jpat
Played Thunder Alley again this past weekend. The game continues to impress.

Tried the northeastern-US side of the Trains map expansion pack. It's a decent, interesting map, but it's still in support of a game I'm pretty lukewarm about, maybe because I'm awful at it.

I did enjoy a first play of Istanbul. While acknowledging that it's probably not the freshest theme or set of mechanics, it felt like a good match of gameplay to time.

I wish I could say the same about Dead of Winter, the game of which I spent ... drawing cards. I like the flavor text, which is actually pretty good; mechanically, the game seems sounder than many zombie/horde games; and I can see why probably no one will want to play my copy of LNoE again (though, admittedly, no one was really clamoring for it before). But ... it's still a zombie game, which was quite a while back played out, as far as I'm concerned.

More
26 Aug 2014 18:15 #185940 by Sagrilarus
Not allowed to trade my Thunder Alley yet, but I'm guessing November will be prime season. Hoping for a 1775 for it.

More
26 Aug 2014 19:24 #185943 by Gary Sax
Yep, just wait till it's OOP for a couple months and it'll hit peak value.

More
26 Aug 2014 21:02 #185949 by charlest
Horger said it probably won't be available again until next Spring. Thing is going to be worth about $90-$100 in the Winter.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.789 seconds