October 09, 2023
2520 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
01 Sep 2014 19:22 #186311 by Green Lantern

SuperflyTNT wrote: i love Eldritch Horror.

Loving Eldritch Horror too, Supes. I always enjoyed Arkham Horror well enough but always found my actions useless or wasted, so always felt impotent in AH. Not so with Eldritch Horror. On top of that I love the cleaned up rules and think it does a much better job in telling a cohesive story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2014 19:29 #186312 by Green Lantern
Oh yeah, got to play Firefly earlier with both expansions. First time with the new Pirates and Bounty Hunters though so it was good to see the new material. I played Jubal Early with his interceptor and found the ship was nice in moving around the Verse but that lack of cargo space was a real bitch. Also, for some reason the Alliance was on my ass the whole game. Despite that I was able to pull of the victory by narrowly outrunning a rival firefly captain who hit a few more snags on the story goals. Nice and tense game with a few players cashing in on bounties. We didn't have anyone try out any piracy jobs and had no showdowns but I can sense them coming in the next game.

The new piracy jobs are cool but I love just having the threat of them to keep all the captains on their toes. Now you really have to watch the other players and what type of crew/jobs they are going after. Get too close and you might be their next victim.

I'm not sure about the S.S. Walden as a good alternative to a firefly. The extra cargo is good but man, it's slower and has NO STASH. I never noticed that until we sat down to play today. No stash is a real drawback with all the pirates and Alliance ships flying.

More
01 Sep 2014 21:23 - 01 Sep 2014 21:29 #186315 by Sagrilarus

Josh Look wrote:

Sagrilarus NEVER wrote: I love this game and everything about it.

I gush on Wings of Glory here on a regular basis, hosting a thread on it. I think El Grande is a perfect game. I call Heroscape the single best board game ever printed without near equal. Warriors of God, Maria, Settlers of Catan, heck, I even defend Monopoly here. My first article at this place gushed on Junta and Struggle of Empires. This past weekend I told a guy that his pickup of BattleTech Second Edition was a great catch and that he had everything he needed to play.

So next time you should consider rebutting the content of my post in the tradition of Fortress:Ameritrash instead of taking it to me personally with trolly bullshit like a nine-year-old in his mom's basement. I used to have a pretty high opinion of what you had to say.

S.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2014 21:29 by Sagrilarus.

More
01 Sep 2014 21:40 #186316 by Josh Look

Sagrilarus wrote:

Josh Look wrote:

Sagrilarus NEVER wrote: I love this game and everything about it.

I gush on Wings of Glory here on a regular basis, hosting a thread on it. I think El Grande is a perfect game. I call Heroscape the single best board game ever printed without near equal. Warriors of God, Maria, Settlers of Catan, heck, I even defend Monopoly here. My first article at this place gushed on Junta and Struggle of Empires. This past weekend I told a guy that his pickup of BattleTech Second Edition was a great catch and that he had everything he needed to play.

So next time you should consider rebutting the content of my post in the tradition of Fortress:Ameritrash instead of taking it to me personally with trolly bullshit like a nine-year-old in his mom's basement. I used to have a pretty high opinion of what you had to say.

S.

It's called a joke, Sag.

More
01 Sep 2014 21:55 #186317 by Sagrilarus

Josh Look wrote: It's called a joke, Sag.

Aren't they supposed to be funny?

More
02 Sep 2014 09:45 #186333 by jeb
Ah, I laughed. Putting the work into modifying the little "quote" box is comedy gold.

And we're allowed to be curmudgeonly now. I haven't honestly been impressed with a new game design since YOMI, maybe. Or RISK LEGACY--whichever was last.* But nothing in the last couple of years has fired me up in the boardgame space. Lots of re-treads. I'll take the new WIZ-WAR, don't get me wrong, but what is out there like NEXUS OPS when that was fresh?

*I want to try ROBINSON CRUSOE--seems to be in my wheelhouse.

More
02 Sep 2014 10:26 #186336 by VonTush

jeb wrote: And we're allowed to be curmudgeonly now. I haven't honestly been impressed with a new game design since YOMI, maybe. Or RISK LEGACY--whichever was last.* But nothing in the last couple of years has fired me up in the boardgame space. Lots of re-treads. I'll take the new WIZ-WAR, don't get me wrong, but what is out there like NEXUS OPS when that was fresh?

I've been kind of feeling the same way - And I haven't been able tell if I've just been jaded or what. It's the same feeling I have when I listen to new music on the radio though.

More
02 Sep 2014 10:45 #186339 by lj1983

Green Lantern wrote: Oh yeah, got to play Firefly earlier with both expansions. First time with the new Pirates and Bounty Hunters though so it was good to see the new material. I played Jubal Early with his interceptor and found the ship was nice in moving around the Verse but that lack of cargo space was a real bitch. Also, for some reason the Alliance was on my ass the whole game. Despite that I was able to pull of the victory by narrowly outrunning a rival firefly captain who hit a few more snags on the story goals. Nice and tense game with a few players cashing in on bounties. We didn't have anyone try out any piracy jobs and had no showdowns but I can sense them coming in the next game.

The new piracy jobs are cool but I love just having the threat of them to keep all the captains on their toes. Now you really have to watch the other players and what type of crew/jobs they are going after. Get too close and you might be their next victim.

I'm not sure about the S.S. Walden as a good alternative to a firefly. The extra cargo is good but man, it's slower and has NO STASH. I never noticed that until we sat down to play today. No stash is a real drawback with all the pirates and Alliance ships flying.

by both expansions do you mean Blue Sun? if so, tell me moar! I worry that firefly could become one of those games where you'd dilute with too much stuff and too much empty space between players. Pirates and Bounty Hunters was great, but added new mechanics and not a whole lot of extra stuff.

More
02 Sep 2014 10:54 #186340 by Sagrilarus
1775: Rebellion is my first must-have game in years. I think it and 1812 are a new direction and both are really good implementations of the new direction. I got to play a turn or two at WBC and have been thinking about it since.

I'm looking to scare up three or four people for it on vassal this evening (1812 that is -- 1775 isn't available).

S.

More
02 Sep 2014 11:07 #186342 by Green Lantern

lj1983 wrote:

Green Lantern wrote: Oh yeah, got to play Firefly earlier with both expansions...

by both expansions do you mean Blue Sun? if so, tell me moar! I worry that firefly could become one of those games where you'd dilute with too much stuff and too much empty space between players. Pirates and Bounty Hunters was great, but added new mechanics and not a whole lot of extra stuff.

Sorry, both expansion to this point meant Breakin' Atmo' and Pirates and Bounty Hunters. Is Blue Sun now available?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.796 seconds