October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
24 Jul 2014 13:00 #182892 by SuperflyPete
We've played Rogue Agent every night for a week now. Still digging it. Looking forward to playing some Firefly tonight, maybe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2014 13:33 #182897 by ChristopherMD
Just been playing Crokinole lately. How do I know when to wax my board? It hasn't been used that much yet but I'm sure the time will come.

More
24 Jul 2014 14:07 #182904 by san il defanso

Mad Dog wrote: Just been playing Crokinole lately. How do I know when to wax my board? It hasn't been used that much yet but I'm sure the time will come.

A lot of euphemisms just rushed into my head.

More
24 Jul 2014 14:37 #182915 by ChristopherMD

San Il Defanso wrote:

Mad Dog wrote: Just been playing Crokinole lately. How do I know when to wax my board? It hasn't been used that much yet but I'm sure the time will come.

A lot of euphemisms just rushed into my head.

Yeah, I considered going with polishing my wood instead of waxing my board, but that didn't seem better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
24 Jul 2014 14:38 #182917 by ThirstyMan
I try to wax my plank every day. Sometimes I get my wife to do it if I'm feeling tired.

More
24 Jul 2014 15:52 #182937 by repoman
Mr. Crokinole, when I got the board, told me to never wax it. "Clean it with water every once in a while" is what he said.

More
24 Jul 2014 16:07 #182944 by ChristopherMD
THANKS REPOMAN!

More
24 Jul 2014 21:49 #182968 by Jackwraith
Played 2 games of Battlelore 2nd Ed. tonight. I was the Daqan for both. The Uthuk scenario in the first game was Veil of Secrets, which awards lore instead of VP for holding the center town, but then you can spend lore to gain 1 VP every time you eliminate an enemy unit. That alone makes it really tough for the Uthuk, as all of our games have been decided by VPs, rather than wiping out the opponent, especially for the Uthuk, as the Daqan have so many defensive lore cards that it's tough to exterminate them. The Daqan scenario was Mustering the Militia, which makes Citadel Guard cheaper and gives 1 VP for every 2 town hexes held by the Daqan. It's basically the perfect scenario for the Daqan, with their durable troops holding position in spaces that already let the occupiers take -1 damage. I camped out in two towns with both units of Rune Golems and eventually held two more with Guard and crushed my opponent, 16-7; our biggest win margin ever. The Uthuk left both the Chaos Lord and the Obscenes at home and tried a horde of Viper Legion, but I think that was a poor choice for the scenario, if not in general, as Viper Legion are a support unit, not a killer.

Second game, the Uthuk had Howling Giant Hills which gives Viper Legion +1 range and lets them ignore one hex of blocking terrain. They score 1 VP for holding more hills than the Daqan. The latter had 3 bridge tokens and the Daqan could gain a VP by having a unit on a bridge. The mass of terrain in the center is kind of a clusterfuck, so if you position properly, it's easy to pick up that one point without too much threat. So, it was going to be a longer game, since we were both reliant on the VP spaces and only 1 point more. I tried using a couple units of Riverwatch Riders to run around the edges and harry things while the Roc and some Guard and Golems sat in the center, alternating on a bridge spot. My opponent brought the Chaos Lord and the Obscenes and tried to be aggressive with them, but the Lord got stuck running around town spaces that he can't enter and we both got screwed by the Command deck. I tossed a card to activate a single unit 3 times in the late turns, as I kept drawing things like Cavalry Charge after my Riders were dead and Clash of Steel, which meant I had to be adjacent to the enemy before moving. We were both gaining 2 points a turn in perfect sync, so I tried to knock him off a couple hills on the right and see if I could interrupt the pace, but inconvenient routs sent him back on to hills a couple times and he was up 16-14 and I expected that we'd go a couple more turns until someone broke the circuit. But he had gotten me off my VP spot on the left and I discarded a card to move the Roc, eliminated a weakened Flesh Ripper unit, played Plunder to gain 3 lore, and used 2 of them to play Defend the Realm for 1 VP for eliminating a unit on my side of the board. I used the Roc's mobility to move on to the VP spot and won, 17-16.

It's really a great game. I'm really hoping that the utter absence of news since its release means that one of the big announcements at Gen Con is for the expansion with the Latari and Waiqar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VonTush, stormseeker75

More
24 Jul 2014 23:44 #182972 by Hatchling
wow, I finally played a friggin boardgame. Almost forgot such a thing was possible. Tonight was Hold the Line, the Long Island scenario. Fun game, and the dice rolled my way and saw the British win. I have another game session lined up next week.

Still trying to figure out how to squeeze the Jeff White old game challenge thing into the routine. I remain hopeful.

/tipsy post

More
25 Jul 2014 08:59 #182981 by charlest
Thanks to all you bastards I got GMT to send me a review copy of Thunder Alley, playing it with 3 other new players last night. I never would have given this game a second chance without this forum, and damn, let me thank you guys. This game is pretty damn good. I'm kind of torn on how much I actually like it after just a single play, will need to digest it some more. But yeah, I came in third and had two cards near the back the entire time but it was excellent. It also only took us about 1.5 hours, which was pretty good for a first game. We did play one of that really short 4 lap track though.

After that we didn't have enough time for anything meaty, so we pulled out Dominion. We play with all of the expansions but nothing particularly interesting came out. I went for money and sprinkled in Native Village and narrowly came in second.

Finished up with Love Letter. Had a couple of memorable moments sprinkled in that 30 minutes of randomness.

Also been playing some more Gears of War solo. I've played through all of the regular missions many times, but still had yet to tried Horde mode. So I grabbed two random COGs and gave it a shot. I keep getting cut down in the first wave, need to brush up on my skills.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.873 seconds