October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
07 Nov 2017 11:56 - 07 Nov 2017 12:07 #257191 by Sagrilarus
This is a second round for these things. Apparently this guy wants his kickstarter dream to come true twice. I was in on a conversation last year for them and asked if they're the gaming equivalent of throw-pillows.

I don't think it's as much about trying to make the hobby adult as it is scratching the buy-itch and they have one of everything else already. The worst thing to happen to a collector is to complete their collection.

To some extent it's a lifestyle thing. The competitive sailors here do the same thing. They buy sailing sneakers, which are sneakers. Sailing shorts, which are shorts, etc. It's like tithing to the gods of your chosen hobby, an expression of dedication.

You can get your own made from online shops by the way. "I do board games real good" would be my choice. Have a picture of wood and sheep, force nicely dressed people to use them at board game conventions and take lots of pictures.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2017 12:07 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2017 12:00 #257192 by Sagrilarus

Pat II wrote: So does this mean I can expect zero support around here when my boardgame "Board" goes live? These are custom sized boards to fit under your...board. Why place a boardgame on just any surface when you can have "Pat's Bitchin Boards" for each of your games.

Put felt on it to preserve the backs of your boards from table wear. This would fly Pat. Spend an hour and post it. "Made from multi-laminate cross-grained white pine for durability and warp resistance."

More
07 Nov 2017 14:32 #257208 by Pat II
An LED scoreboard and we're done lol.

More
08 Nov 2017 09:03 #257241 by D_S
Speaking of using KS to support board game designers we like, I backed Craig Van Ness’s Shifting Realms.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/soaringrhin...realms?ref=user_menu

I didn’t see any chatter about it here. But I’m phone posting so maybe I missed it.

More
08 Nov 2017 11:06 #257259 by Legomancer

D_S wrote: Speaking of using KS to support board game designers we like, I backed Craig Van Ness’s Shifting Realms.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/soaringrhin...realms?ref=user_menu

I didn’t see any chatter about it here. But I’m phone posting so maybe I missed it.

I played it at FalCon and it was a lot of fun!

More
08 Nov 2017 14:40 #257273 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Currently on the fence about the Folklore 2nd printing:
www.kickstarter.com/projects/gbg/folklor...liction-2nd-printing

I nearly went in the first time, but fear of KS crap pulled me back, but 2nd printings is where I am more comfortable with KS once we have seen reviews of the game from more independent sources, and someone here has been raving about it. I guess the only thing holding me back is the amount of unplayed stuff I already own.

More
08 Nov 2017 16:22 #257276 by ubarose
Oh, well those bowls are hugely disappointing. I was expecting something like Go bowls, which are really quite lovely. If I played Go, I would definitely have Go bowls. Growing up, we had a set with bowls on the high shelves in the living room, but we weren't allowed to play with them, because, you know, little kids and bowls filled with a bazillion little stones.

I have about a dozen glass desert bowls that we use for gameboard bits. They are all I have left from when a bunch of us starving grad students pitched in together to buy random cases of glasses and dishwear from a restaurant supply outlet clearance sale.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
08 Nov 2017 16:22 #257277 by charlest

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: Currently on the fence about the Folklore 2nd printing:
www.kickstarter.com/projects/gbg/folklor...liction-2nd-printing

I nearly went in the first time, but fear of KS crap pulled me back, but 2nd printings is where I am more comfortable with KS once we have seen reviews of the game from more independent sources, and someone here has been raving about it. I guess the only thing holding me back is the amount of unplayed stuff I already own.

Unfortunately it really wants you to play it as a campaign game which requires dedication, if you already have a ton of stuff unplayed it's probably not a good fit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ancient_of_MuMu

More
08 Nov 2017 21:20 - 08 Nov 2017 21:20 #257314 by Da Bid Dabid
I tried really hard to resist but I didn't quite make it to the end before my will crumbled. I don't plan to play the game at all but since 15 mm is my thing the minis alone make it well worth the pledge. I'll prolly go in for at least 2 of the expansions, maybe 4...

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1162110258/...legends-joan-of-arc/
Last edit: 08 Nov 2017 21:20 by Da Bid Dabid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik

More
09 Nov 2017 17:28 #257369 by Almalik
I broke down and backed Time of Legends as well, although I wish it was 10mm. We'll see how much I save up for the pledge manager for those expansions (definitely the Apocalypse one).

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.388 seconds