October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
13 Oct 2014 13:59 - 13 Oct 2014 15:24 #188548 by Legomancer
I had backed that Eminent Domain: Microcosm thing even though I don't particularly like Eminent Domain (it's a separate game set in the same "universe", whatever that universe might be). $10, played fast, blah blah. But I just cancelled my backing.

I played two KS games -- ones I backed and received -- this weekend and both were eeeh. I jumped in on a few KSes several months ago just to see what the fuss was. All of the ones I received (two are still left) have been nothing special, with the exception of Marrying Mr. Darcy, which isn't a great game in any sense but is a load of dumb fun.

Part of the reason why I've been avoiding my Tuesday night group is because of the KS love there. Just a lot of mediocre (at best) games that no one will ever think of again.

The KS games I've played and really liked have been ones I bought as usual, which have somewhat proven themselves. I have yet to purchase a KS game after-the-fact and felt like I really wished I'd been on board from the get-go.

EDIT: wrote about this in more detail on my blog .
Last edit: 13 Oct 2014 15:24 by Legomancer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2014 16:58 #188556 by jpat

schlupp wrote: I just backed the long lost expansion for Age of Conan: www.kickstarter.com/projects/1402889231/...y-boardgame-its-back

That game deserves a second chance.

I'm thinking it probably does as well and that my "3" rating of the base game was probably unseemly harsh after one play. At the very least, it does seem like the designers have tried to address the concerns of the 2009 group, and the various stretch goals seem fairly interesting. I'm actually at least for now in on this one, despite my better judgment, if mostly because I want this to be a good game and feel like it might work fairly well with a "fun" crowd rather than a "gamer" crowd. I've had good luck, for example, with Conquest of Nerath with a nongamer crowd but wouldn't consider putting it in front of (most of) my gamer associates.

I'm still in the Yashima Kickstarter. The base concept looks pretty good--more or less a faster, less thinly Mage Wars--but the silver level hasn't really panned out all that well, being cluttered with a lot of foil cards that I care almost nothing about, and I'm considering again backing down to the bronze level and call it a day.

More
14 Oct 2014 09:13 #188573 by stormseeker75
You get a lot more minis in the Silver though, don't you?

More
14 Oct 2014 12:11 #188605 by jpat

stormseeker75 wrote: You get a lot more minis in the Silver though, don't you?

There is definitely "more" at the Silver level for Yashima, including more miniatures. It's just a question of whether it's really more of what I want in an unknown game--the same kind of concern for most KS games.

More
14 Oct 2014 12:48 #188608 by stormseeker75
That is exactly why I don't back people I don't know.

More
14 Oct 2014 13:03 #188611 by SuperflyPete
I'm telling you...if you like miniatures games AT ALL, get in on Strange Aeons. It really is one of the best miniatures games with RPG elements ever.

More
15 Oct 2014 14:32 #188676 by jpat
Not really the place for this, but the genuine if ill-placed anger in the comments and to some extent on BGG over the decision by many Yashima backers either to back out or to replace silver with bronze pledges late in the game is more than a little absurd. Well, absurd, I suppose, if you operate from the position that Kickstarter is essentially a financial transaction with traditional cost-benefit analysis instead of a social movement or community-building activity. Admittedly, I was one of the people backing down from silver to bronze, if only after it was very clear that the next stretch-goal level was not going to be achieved, but the heat is still a little bothersome.

More
15 Oct 2014 19:36 #188687 by Sagrilarus

jpat wrote: but the heat is still a little bothersome.

Shake it off, it's a business transaction. Both sides come to a mutual agreement over the exchange or business doesn't get done. You don't owe the vendor nor any of his other customers anything.

S.

More
16 Oct 2014 08:50 #188700 by charlest
The people bitching are the same people that say "If you're not sure just back now, you can always cancel your pledge at the last minute."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Oct 2014 10:40 #189165 by Gregarius
Just to confirm that boardgamers aren't the only whiny bitches in the world, check out this Kickstarter .

It was for a spiral notebookk with write/erase pages. The update says that it just didn't work out and so they'll refund everyone 25% of what they pledged (the other 75% having been spent trying to fulfill the project). Then open the floodgate of comments with irate people threatening to sue and/or press criminal charges for fraud. One guy even has the gall to tell the project owners that they don't understand the concept of "risk." What an ass.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.457 seconds