October 09, 2023
2758 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2910 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What Board Game have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
22 Nov 2013 17:54 #165812 by san il defanso
I didn't go into that much detail, partially because Tush is a dirty cheater. He spent most of our game of Queen's Gambit attacking gentle beasts, old men, and children. And then he had the nerve to use his Dark Side Force powers to topple the rock the boat. This is in a game where the very title is to NOT rock the boat.

He gave me old copies of Ogre and Awful Green Things not out of some altruistic generosity, but sheer guilt. If he really cared, he would have given me Queen's Gambit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Sagrilarus, VonTush, wadenels
The topic has been locked.
More
22 Nov 2013 19:43 #165829 by mikecl

Legomancer wrote: Anyhow, such a quick win meant not much loot, though we do get a skill upgrade that I don't feel like I earned. I may do this one again in the hopes of grabbing some nice equipment.

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but it was crazy easy.

Some games are like that due to card draw but it also depends on how you're playing. Are you running at least four characters. If you want to increase difficulty, add characters. For a real fun time try six.
More
23 Nov 2013 07:03 #165851 by ChristopherMD
Firefly - I liked it a lot. Looking forward to playing it again soon.
More
23 Nov 2013 22:28 - 23 Nov 2013 22:44 #165864 by DukeofChutney
Space Cadets: Dice Duel

Go and Buy this GAME! Hot damn this is awesome. I have no voice left, and another captain nearly hyper ventilated whilst shouting orders. This game is hysterical! Good work Geoff, my GOTY. Very cleverly designed, both the best dice game, and the best team game i've played.

also played a 9 player game of Ladies & Gentlemen, a game of Star Wars LCG with another scum and villainy deck, and another game of Netrunner LCG.

For scum and villainy the Trandoshan Terror deck is amazing. it has essentially won me 2 games. Against character heavy decks it doesn't really have a downside.

Having played this game a bit now it is starting to dawn on me, and the guy i play with, that some decks are just more powerful than others. Its not a serious issue but this game isn't the peak of machine like balancing.

I lost as the corp in netrunner. I went with the news corp faction. mixed with just the basic cards and two cards changed out for some tag and bag cards. imo not nearly enough monies in the deck to power the cards.
Last edit: 23 Nov 2013 22:44 by DukeofChutney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, engelstein
More
24 Nov 2013 05:09 #165868 by Egg Shen
How was Ladies and Gentlemen? I've been curious about that one after seeing the Shut Up and Sit Down crew review it....
More
24 Nov 2013 06:05 #165869 by dragonstout

DukeofChutney wrote: Space Cadets: Dice Duel

Go and Buy this GAME! Hot damn this is awesome. I have no voice left, and another captain nearly hyper ventilated whilst shouting orders. This game is hysterical! Good work Geoff, my GOTY. Very cleverly designed, both the best dice game, and the best team game i've played.

How does it compare to the original Space Cadets?
More
24 Nov 2013 11:50 #165874 by DukeofChutney
different to the original space cadets.

Original space cadets is a good panic simulator like Space Alert. Each player is playing a very different mini game and you all contribute to a whole.

Dice Duel is much simpler, and its verses. You have two teams of people frantically rolling dice, all dependant on the engineer to give them dice, and the captain to give orders. In both games the players have a ship that moves around the board. In dice duel you just need to kill the opposing team ship, which can be done in about 10mins, or about 30. In regular cadets you have a more specific mission which is usually hard as nails. Dice duel can be taught in 5mins and is really accessible.

Personally i think dice duel is the better game, but Space Cadets is good, and one of the few coops i enjoy. The deciding factor should be whether you want a coop or vs experience and how much time investment you want.

Ladies and Gentlemen is a very funny team game as pairs roleplay sexist husband and wife steriotypes with the husband making money in a real time tile collection game and the wives spending his money on a shopping / set collection / bidding mini game. The game rides on the jokes that come out of the roleplaying, so there is limited milage and you could view it as a one trick pony. I like it, but i don't play it too much to prolong its shelf life. As a tactical game, there are better games out there. Having won a couple of games of it, i've realised that the husbands game is far far less important than the ladies game. You could make the least money as a husband and win if your wife makes good choices. Like space cadets its often the panic and bad communication that makes the game fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen
More
24 Nov 2013 12:29 #165875 by engelstein

DukeofChutney wrote: Space Cadets: Dice Duel

...another captain nearly hyper ventilated whilst shouting orders

If the game causes someone to be hospitalized, then I've done my job.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, wadenels, DukeofChutney
More
24 Nov 2013 13:28 #165877 by Sagrilarus
I've started playing a new game of Warriors of God on Vassal again. It's a damn near perfect game for solo play and the platform because of its low location count and "complete" information (I think that's the right term -- all is known, luck in play). A few years back I had a save point on turn 4 that was interesting and I had played four of five games from that spot forward, so when I started on turn one with six stacks on the entire board, damn small ones at that, it seemed incredibly empty and simple.

I play about half an hour an evening or at lunch. Just a great game, and one of my game group is putting in an "all will be played" so I wanted to make sure I was able to play it without my head in the rules the whole time. It turns out I still have a handle on it.

I've loaded C&C for Vassal as well. I'll likely give it a try soon too.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hatchling
More
24 Nov 2013 16:47 #165884 by Cambyses
Introduced three friends to Cosmic Encounter last night, and we played four games. Had been intending to get some other things to the table too, but after our second game (the first being a slow-ish learning game without techs and artifacts), the group demanded we immediately set up again before taking a break for dinner.

Once we got back to gaming, everyone was itching to get as cutthroat as possible. Our final game had the highest number of "not so fast" take-thats I have ever experienced. It was the perfect way to end the night, and it really made every aspect of the game shine. I would set up and play again right now if there were other people in my apartment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, evilgit
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.702 seconds