2911 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
3039 0
Hot

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
09 May 2017 09:47 #248032 by Colorcrayons

Michael Barnes wrote: Anyway, John Carter, good god. Let it go, people. Let it go.

I love this new eye roll emoji. Thanks Jeb!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2017 11:20 - 09 May 2017 11:28 #248033 by Sagrilarus

jeb wrote: Remember when the FURY ROAD trailer dropped and we all lost our minds and it was amazing and totally deserved. Well, here we go again, please and thank you:

Am I reading too much into one of the actresses looking very much like Darryl Hannah? Hard to tell from sub-second snippets.

Same model replicant. That would be an interesting facet to the production if it's the case and intentional.

Blade Runner is on my short list as well. (It's no Buckaroo Banzai, but that's an awfully high bar to clear.) I think the film's murkiness (plot-wise) is much of its appeal, and that's not a common feature in big-budget films these days. There's going to be chase scenes and explosions, and the end will likely tie up all the loose ends. If they're smart they'll ignore to fractured endings of the different versions of the film, leaving Deckard by himself in the desert and not explaining how Rachael's end was resolved (or wasn't, as the case may be.)

This will be a good film to see with my boys in the Fall.
Last edit: 09 May 2017 11:28 by Sagrilarus.

More
09 May 2017 11:44 #248034 by Shellhead
Buckaroo Banzai? That is one of the worst movies that I've ever seen. Just because it is deliberately bad doesn't excuse it from being bad.

More
09 May 2017 11:58 - 09 May 2017 11:58 #248035 by Gregarius
Don't have the ability to watch the Bladerunner Trailer, which is probably a good thing. I love the original, and I'll try to stay open-minded about the sequel, but I'd rather go in cold. I guess the internets are off-limits for me for a while.

I saw Colossal last night. Two stars out of five. Anne Hathaway plays an alcoholic who discovers she controls a kaiju that's destroying South Korea. It got surprisingly dark. I think the core idea had some really interesting potential, but they never really fulfilled it. There are some good scenes, but the script couldn't decide what kind of movie it wanted to be. I have a bit of a crush on Anne Hathaway, but I thought she was really weak in this one.

Pet peeve rant: In one of the opening scenes, Anne's character is returning home in the morning after an all-night drinkfest. She does the banal drunk-stumble-walk with slightly slurred speech, whatever. Then in close-up you see those amazing, clear white eyes. Come on. Couldn't they have at least digitally thrown in some bloodshot? Maybe at least some bags? I don't expect her to do the full Charlie-Sheen-in-Ferris-Beuller and stay awake for 24 hours before the scene, but at least give me *something* that doesn't completely shatter my suspension of disbelief.
Last edit: 09 May 2017 11:58 by Gregarius.

More
09 May 2017 12:13 #248036 by Michael Barnes

Shellhead wrote: Buckaroo Banzai? That is one of the worst movies that I've ever seen. Just because it is deliberately bad doesn't excuse it from being bad.

I can't believe I just read that in a forum post where people are singing the praises of John Carter.

Buckaroo Banzai is AMAZING. There is no other movie like it. In fact, I think that the only other movie that does such a great job of making you feel like you are coming in on the middle of a long-running serial with established characters and an entire world built around it is...Star Wars. So many funny things in that movie.

MOVE AND I'LL DRINK YOUR BLOOD!

More
09 May 2017 12:33 #248040 by Sagrilarus

Shellhead wrote: Buckaroo Banzai? That is one of the worst movies that I've ever seen. Just because it is deliberately bad doesn't excuse it from being bad.

It's quite clear you didn't understand the inner meaning of the film.

I'm more interested to discuss how the new Blade Runner will turn out. I was very surprised to see Ford in the preview. That was an interesting decision.

I'll point out that the opening scenes of the original Blade Runner reveal that it takes place in 2019. Once again, science fiction greatly overestimates our ability to progress technologically, expecting flying cars and commercial star travel. Instead, mankind has focused its efforts on creating hand-held glass boxes that let us remotely turn down the temperature in our refrigerator. At some point these authors and screen-writers are going to realize that they need to reach out 100+ years in order to maintain some level of credibility as their film ages. As it stands they're putting way to much faith in mankind. The technological breakthrough I'll predict for 2049? Voice Recognition that actually works.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
09 May 2017 13:07 #248042 by Mr. White
As a species, we've decided we'd rather look down, inward facing on each other's lives thru little handhelds rather than looking up at the stars and outward travel.

"My son and I stand beneath the great night sky
And gaze up in wonder
I tell him the tale of Apollo And he says
"Why did they ever go?"
It may look like some empty gesture
To go all that way just to come back
But don't offer me a place out in cyberspace
'cause where in the hell's that at?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar

More
09 May 2017 15:05 #248047 by Thrun

Michael Barnes wrote: Blade Runner is my favorite Movie not named 2001 obviously, that goes without fucking saying as it is without peer.

More
09 May 2017 15:07 #248048 by Thrun

Colorcrayons wrote: John Carter was/is underrated. That is all.

This would be true even if you removed the entire Movie except for Lynn Collins thighs. (I liked the rest of the Movie as well though)
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
09 May 2017 15:09 #248049 by Thrun

Mr. White wrote: As a species, we've decided we'd rather look down, inward facing on each other's lives thru little handhelds rather than looking up at the stars and outward travel.
"

'

some would say the best journey any of us could take would be the inward looking one involving no physical travel at all.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.191 seconds