October 09, 2023
2693 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2860 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
15 May 2017 15:38 #248357 by Shellhead
Guy Ritchie was Mr. Madonna. He is better known for his British gangster movies, which I can't enjoy without subtitles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2017 20:02 #248384 by Feelitmon

stormseeker75 wrote: Suicide Squad was a shitfest. Made Batman vs. Superman look decent.

True, and even BvS made Man of Steel look decent. This is not a good trend for Warner Bros. and DC, is it? Hopefully Wonder Woman reverses the momentum.

More
15 May 2017 21:27 #248390 by Black Barney
I don't know how you guys can watch superhero movies after Logan. I'm taking a sabbatical from these movies.

...my boss told me I have to see Guardians 2. I don't know how to play this.

...maybe I'll start dressing Amish

More
15 May 2017 22:11 #248391 by RobertB
Black Barney wrote:

...my boss told me I have to see Guardians 2. I don't know how to play this.

Tell him you liked it fine, but it kind of slowed down a bit in the second act. Wait, that's my take on it, after seeing it last night. I liked it fine, but thought it bogged down a little bit in the middle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
15 May 2017 22:54 #248394 by KingPut

Sagrilarus wrote: Watched Manchester by the Sea last night. Nobody told me it was four hours long.

Finished it Saturday night. It took me 4 days to finish. I guess it was good enough to keep me watching it. The acting was great, top notch for both Lee and the kid but...wow 4 depressing hours. I can't wait to watch all the other Oscar nominated movies. I heard Moonlight was a laugh a minute. I liked La La Land it was more Happy - Sad than all sad for 2+ hours. Frak it, I'll take 2 1/2 hours of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 any day over any of this Oscar nominated depressing crap.

More
16 May 2017 02:37 #248398 by Frohike
Dead Man Directed by Jim Jarmush. Scored by Neil Young.

Yep, probably still one of my favorite films of all time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
16 May 2017 05:00 - 16 May 2017 10:39 #248399 by Nodens

Shellhead wrote: Guy Ritchie was Mr. Madonna. He is better known for his British gangster movies, which I can't enjoy without subtitles.

I rewatched Lock, Stock and two Smoking Barrels and Snatch some weeks ago (subtitled). They are still as good as when I first saw them. A treat if you're into fiascos. I read somewhere Brad Pitt begged to be in the next one after seeing Lock, Stock and got to make up his own incomprehensible language, too.

Speaking of fiascos, just saw The Nice Guys, very good. Great script (including a human-sized hole or two), lots of nice details. Laughs and heart. Spoiler: Ryan Gosling actually is an actor. You heard it here first.
Last edit: 16 May 2017 10:39 by Nodens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
16 May 2017 09:40 #248419 by Shellhead

Frohike wrote: Dead Man Directed by Jim Jarmush. Scored by Neil Young.

Though I have a pretty dark sense of humor, Dead Man eventually became somewhat oppressive. The theme song by Neil Young is one of his greatest songs and deserved more attention.

Not sure if I should watch more Jim Jarmusch movies. I really enjoyed Ghost Dog: the Way of the Samurai, but I was underwhelmed by Down by Law. Coffee and Cigarettes had just one good scene.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike

More
16 May 2017 11:23 #248443 by OldHippy

Shellhead wrote:

Though I have a pretty dark sense of humor, Dead Man eventually became somewhat oppressive. The theme song by Neil Young is one of his greatest songs and deserved more attention.

Not sure if I should watch more Jim Jarmusch movies. I really enjoyed Ghost Dog: the Way of the Samurai, but I was underwhelmed by Down by Law. Coffee and Cigarettes had just one good scene.

Night on Earth is worth checking out. Sometimes it's his best film, and other times it's just run of the mill. It's a series of short stories that all take place in various cabs around the world and it's wildly uneven but it's still worth it for the good ones.

I'm a big fan of Neil Young doing soundtracks or even just his electric guitar work in general. His score to Where the Buffalo Roam is phenomenal.. that's such a weird gem of a movie too. Deeply flawed but also a ton of fun and easy to watch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
16 May 2017 14:04 - 16 May 2017 14:05 #248480 by Frohike

Shellhead wrote:

Yeah, Dead Man is ruthless & sublime.

I've watched a lot of other Jarmush films but this one was my first and most affecting, mostly because I have a thing for sublimity and narratives where characters are gradually forced to shed their concept of self. I think that film hit me at just the right time too, in the mid 90's, back when I had just moved to NYC and was young, uprooted, and ready for anything. Another film that tapped that same nerve much later for me was Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring by Kim Ki-Duk.

On the subject of Jarmush, I did enjoy Night on Earth which I saw at a screening a few years ago, but I think one of my favorite aspects of many of his films is his portrayal of these sort of loose, but somehow significant, friendships between guys who are never quite on the same page, either due to a language or cultural barrier. Dead Man, Broken Flowers, Ghost Dog, all have this dynamic to them, with vastly different actors, but Jarmush seems to find that pocket every time.
Last edit: 16 May 2017 14:05 by Frohike.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.804 seconds