October 09, 2023
2550 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2746 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
30 May 2017 10:03 #249235 by QPCloudy

stormseeker75 wrote: Friday night we watched Split. I love M. Night Shyamalan's movies with the exception being The (Nothing) Happening. I really like the way he shoots his movies. Anyway, this one was amazing thanks to James McAvoy's ridiculously good portrayal of the bad guy with disassociative identity disorder. He switches characters flawlessly. The twist at the end was great. I hope they continue this.

They have already announced a third installment to complete the trilogy tying everything together. :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2017 10:26 #249238 by stormseeker75

More
30 May 2017 10:53 #249241 by Black Barney
Who cares about that, Cloudy is back!!!

More
30 May 2017 10:57 - 30 May 2017 10:59 #249242 by QPCloudy
Move along. Nothing to see here.

Also, I haven't seen John Wick 2 yet, so I couldn't exactly say I'm back.
Last edit: 30 May 2017 10:59 by QPCloudy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
30 May 2017 11:03 #249243 by Matt Thrower
Went to see Pirates of the Carribean 5 at the weekend. I didn't know it had been mauled by the critics before I went, and I found it enjoyable enough. There were some great set pieces, especially the zombie sharks, and the sinister villain is perhaps the best in the entire series. On the other hand the plot is absolutely incoherent, the cameos (under which I'm including both Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly) were terrible and Depp was even worse.

Critics generally love to crap all over the franchise, but after five films - and I re-watched all the older ones recently - I don't think any of them are actually bad films. The quality slides down in chronological order, but each and every one was essentially entertaining and fun to watch. It helps that almost no other film in years has gone near this kind of source material. With rumours of a sixth in the air, though, due to the post-credit sequence with Davy Jones, I do think it's kind of time to stop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
30 May 2017 11:12 #249244 by the_jake_1973
Wife and I also saw La-La Land this last week. It was decent, but probably only for those people not familiar with Ginger Rogers and Fred Estaire. The dance numbers were a throwback to those movies, but not nearly as well executed. The less said about the singing, the better. I am not a Tumblr SJW, but the 'White Savior of (pure)Jazz' plotline was racially tone deaf. After seeing it, I was surprised that so many Oscar nominations were thrown at it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
30 May 2017 11:23 #249245 by Black Barney
As soon as I saw the first trailer for La La Land, I thought this was the most perfect movie for the Academy since The Artist. I was happy it lost (speaking of which I rewatched Moonlight over the weekend for a 2nd time, really really strong still. I think I might think Manchester is better at this point but good lord is it ever close).
On La La Land, i find those songs stay in your head really well. Songs were far better than the dance numbers.

Cloudy, i haven't seen Wick 2 yet either. I think i'm due to rewatch Wick 1 shortly anyway. Let's get together to see Wick 2 with only a blue towel over our bare legs, leaving an element of mystery
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973, Vlad

More
30 May 2017 11:50 #249246 by hotseatgames

Black Barney wrote: Let's get together to see Wick 2 with only a blue towel over our bare legs, leaving an element of mystery

I don't think anyone thinks that's a mystery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, stormseeker75

More
30 May 2017 11:57 #249247 by Mr. White
Funny enough, we watched the first Pirates of the Caribbean flick this weekend with the kids...and I didn't even know there was a part 5.

I've heard that each film in this franchise gets worse, and having only seen half of part 2...that seems about right.

That first film is a near perfect popcorn spectacle though and holds up really well. The cast is great and Rush and Depp do fantastic jobs in their roles.

Makes me want to play DreadFleet!

More
30 May 2017 11:58 - 30 May 2017 11:58 #249248 by jeb

the_jake_1973 wrote: Wife and I also saw La-La Land this last week. It was decent, but probably only for those people not familiar with Ginger Rogers and Fred Estaire. The dance numbers were a throwback to those movies, but not nearly as well executed. The less said about the singing, the better. I am not a Tumblr SJW, but the 'White Savior of (pure)Jazz' plotline was racially tone deaf. After seeing it, I was surprised that so many Oscar nominations were thrown at it.

It was a lock for Hollywood award season, man. Extremely pretty people struggle for their art. They eat that shit UP around here. I was surprised it didn't win best Picture, maybe folks started to recognize that everyone just saw them as preening in the mirror and they decided to vote for who they wanted to be.

I watched THE HANDMAIDEN on Amazon Prime. That's a good movie. Chan Woo Park can go to some dark places, geez. There are some intense lesbian lovemaking scenes, and I was wondering about the sound design there because I am basically dead inside.

I also watched 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE (also Amazon I think) which was entertaining. John Goodman is a scary motherfucker.
Last edit: 30 May 2017 11:58 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, siberianhusky, the_jake_1973

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.480 seconds