October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
30 May 2017 12:53 #249251 by stormseeker75
Goodman was awesome in that movie. You really didn't know where he stood until the end which made his character even better in hindsight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gregarius

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2017 13:11 #249252 by Gregarius

stormseeker75 wrote: Goodman was awesome in that movie. You really didn't know where he stood until the end which made his character even better in hindsight.

Totally agree.
Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, stormseeker75

More
30 May 2017 16:38 #249259 by Black Barney
and how you're constantly trying to figure out what's really going on outside and that involves trying to analyze Goodman's character. My position has never flip-flopped so much in a single movie and I was constantly guessing. It was awesome. I felt like I was losing my mind. All i knew is that i was scared of Goodman. But was I more scared about going outside? I dunno...

fun movie :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
30 May 2017 20:55 - 30 May 2017 20:57 #249266 by Grudunza
I will defend the second Pirates movie (Dead Man's Chest) as being the best of the franchise (by far compared to 3 and 4). I wasn't blown away by the original, and nearly fell asleep the first tine watching it. By comparison, the second one seemed more confident with itself, it had better energy and focus, it introduced the cool characters of Davey Jones and Tia Dalma (who became just more recurring characters from that point), it had a decent storyline with both Will and Jack, it had two of my favorite comedy/action set pieces (the cliff ball thing and the waterwheel), and it had a pretty amazing conclusion with the kraken. It runs a bit long in spots, but really, that's the case with every one of these films (especially #3).

I have no expectations for #5 to be great, so I'll probably enjoy it okay as a Redbox rental.
Last edit: 30 May 2017 20:57 by Grudunza.

More
31 May 2017 00:05 #249269 by Vlad
My son is asking me about the Pirates, and this is the first time I don't have a satisfying answer (when facing a question about movies). I watched the first one when it came out, but fallen asleep half way through the movie, and don't remember anything, except that it was kind of remotely like Monkey Island. I also have a vague memory of trying to watch the 2nd or the 3rd movie at some point and being unable to follow the plot. I am under the impression that these are complex, cerebral movies that deal with important themes merely disguised as smash-bucking adventures.

More
31 May 2017 00:11 #249270 by Vlad

Black Barney wrote: I rewatched Moonlight over the weekend for a 2nd time, really really strong still.

How many times will you force yourself to watch this movie until you admit it is insufferably boring? I bet that deep in your heart you actually know it is unwatchable...

More
31 May 2017 00:27 #249272 by Black Barney
I watched it super late too. My sister texted through the first act and slept through the next two but I still was riveted the second time. I love it

More
31 May 2017 00:31 - 01 Jun 2017 09:24 #249273 by Cranberries
Watched Guardians II in IMAX with the family. My wife was pissed about the sex bot planet and swears. Head 6 / heart 8

As I think about this show two days later, if I hadn't seen the first movie I'd probably put it into Howard the Duck territory. Also, the blue guy was trafficking kids and gets a pass. Weird. The combination of baby groot, an obvious Happy Meal placement, and the swears is also strange. It's like they couldn't make up their minds about what movie it was.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2017 09:24 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
02 Jun 2017 01:54 - 02 Jun 2017 11:33 #249344 by Grudunza
WW. A lot to like, and yeah, it's much better than the other recent DC dreck. Still not an outright win for me, though, but it should do well, and deservedly so for being a solid superhero flick with some heart.

Chris Pine kind of steals it from the lead, though. Gal Gadot is sweet and hot and has good energy and does a fine job in the role, but it kind of needed Pine to give it both some levity and some weight. That probably sounds sexist in a film celebrating a powerful woman, but I mean that in terms of acting chops and also the way the characters are written.

The whole intro section seemed a bit labored, but then it starts to pick up when Pine arrives and gets quite good for a while there, but never reaches amazing.

The big bad is played by someone who I think is great in terms of acting, but there was still kind of a laughable aspect to that for me. Can't explain that better without giving it away.

One minor niggle is that they had set up her theme song riff in the BvS film and in the trailers, and I really liked it, but they only did variations of it in this movie. I did like the music and scoring in general, though.

I'd put it on a level with the middle-upper-ish Marvel films. Good and entertaining, but also kind of just another big summer superhero movie.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2017 11:33 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
02 Jun 2017 07:59 - 02 Jun 2017 08:10 #249346 by stormseeker75
I'm an idiot, please ignore this daft question which he answered in the original post.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2017 08:10 by stormseeker75.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.671 seconds