October 09, 2023
2594 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2789 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
02 Nov 2015 11:13 #213897 by hotseatgames

SuperflyTNT wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: I saw Re-animator. Amazing that I had never seen it before... I still don't know why Lovecraft's name is attached because it certainly wasn't very Lovecraftian....

But if you want a funny bad horror film, you could do worse.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0089885/

It's absolutely Lovecraftian, since the story was precisely about the main character and the plot is roughly the same.

Read the story here:
www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/hwr.aspx

I'll definitely read that later. It must have just been the overall tone of the movie that made me think they just slapped his name on it because he wouldn't write something like that movie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2015 11:24 #213901 by Sagrilarus
Pixels! We rented it on Friday night from Redbox for a mere $1.49, significantly cheaper than the $5.99 being extorted by the likes of Verizon and Amazon.

Ain't winning any Oscars, but there were times I was busting out laughing. As best I can tell a movie made for someone my age, and the references to the old video games I played were spot on. I ended up having a debate with my boys about the primary difference between games then and games now.

S.

More
02 Nov 2015 12:02 #213909 by Shellhead
Re-Animator was directed by Stuart Gordon. His next movie was a similar treatment of a Lovecraft story, From Beyond. If you like one, you will probably like the other.

More
02 Nov 2015 12:05 #213910 by Black Barney
that's cool. I think at $1.49 it's about a thousand dollars too expensive for that, but if it caused a conversation, that's always a good thing.

Speaking of which, okay Grud, you've convinced me. Room is my number one movie to watch (it's bumping Jafar Panahi's Taxi and The Second Mother down on my must-see list). I'm working out a date to see it next week, then go to some kick-ass new restaurant after just to talk about it together. Sounds awesome. Thanks a ton for making me aware of it.

More
02 Nov 2015 12:10 #213912 by Sagrilarus

Black Barney wrote: that's cool. I think at $1.49 it's about a thousand dollars too expensive for that, but if it caused a conversation, that's always a good thing.

There was a part in it where they blared Loverboy music and I thought of you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
02 Nov 2015 18:18 #213956 by Michael Barnes

Egg Shen wrote: Curse of Frankenstein - I love me some Hammer Horror and this is upper echelon Hammer. Peter Cushing plays a great Frankenstein...he pulls off that obsessed madman perfectly. Christopher Lee as "The Creature" has some really great makeup that is really quite a haunting visage. Lee doesn't have a whole heck of alot to do, as Cushing is the real monster in the film. Great stuff.

I find that one to be more "important" than great, to be honest. To me, it feels almost like a test fire of the Hammer approach to revitalizing/sexing up the old Universal stable. It's easy to forget now that when it came out in 1956, Curse of Frankenstein was 10 years removed from the Universal cycle, which had petered out in diminishing returns. And by that time, horror was largely regarded as a "kiddie" genre, Saturday matinee junk. Which would have been the only way to see the original films. So here comes Hammer with this MUCH more adult, slightly more seedy, BLOODY movie with boobs about to pop out...and it was in COLOR. That was huge, and those qualities to me are more significant than anything else in it.

I think Dracula (Horror of Dracula) is really where they nailed the Hammer formula. I think that was where Terence Fisher's restraint and measured professionalism developed this subtle tension with the sexy, bloody wildness of the material. Watch that fight at the end between Van Helsing and Dracula...prior to that, the big showdown was this quiet event punctuating a bunch of Victorian drawing room dialogue scenes, end credits. In Fisher's hands, it's this intensely (for its time) PHYSICAL fight totally sold to the hilt by Cushing and Lee.

I like some of the later Hammer Frankenstein films much better...Evil of Frankenstein, Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed...I think Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell is actually underrated. They really did well in developing Frankenstein's character- totally an amoral villain, and Cushing just completely owns the role. It's kind of ironic that they did so well with Frankenstein as a character but completely fumbled Dracula, whom they didn't even bother to write dialogue for in a couple of the films.

The Devil Rides Out/The Devil's Bride...now that is some prime Hammer. But Brides of Dracula is the hands-down favorite.

More
02 Nov 2015 22:55 - 02 Nov 2015 22:58 #213976 by moofrank
A Halloween double feature. My Bloody Valentine 3D, which was fairly decent, combining the basics with a hint of mystery, some great 3D cinematography, and a better plot than the original.

And...The House at the End of Time. The first horror movie from Venezuala. It is interesting, and very old fashioned, but with a pretty decent script. The production is also clunky, with some awful old age makeup, and a soundtrack which seems just off. The star of the show is the titular house. A crazy ancient crumbling Masonic lodge.

The lighting is odd as well. Everything is brightly lit and even the few night shots look like a clumsy day for night filter. The end result is compelling, but feels almost like an odd 50's or 60's kind of pacing and sensibility.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2015 22:58 by moofrank.

More
02 Nov 2015 22:59 #213977 by stoic
I watched the 2010 remake of The Crazies. It was an excellent flic, but, I much preferred the Romero 1973 version since the remake left out too much of the story. The remake just didn't carryover the message that the "Trixie" project was the beginning of the zombie apocalypse where the Guv even had the cure staring them in the face at ground zero.

More
03 Nov 2015 00:02 #213978 by Space Ghost

Black Barney wrote: that's cool. I think at $1.49 it's about a thousand dollars too expensive for that, but if it caused a conversation, that's always a good thing.

Speaking of which, okay Grud, you've convinced me. Room is my number one movie to watch (it's bumping Jafar Panahi's Taxi and The Second Mother down on my must-see list). I'm working out a date to see it next week, then go to some kick-ass new restaurant after just to talk about it together. Sounds awesome. Thanks a ton for making me aware of it.

All I can say is that I think the book was overhyped.

More
03 Nov 2015 00:10 - 03 Nov 2015 08:39 #213979 by OldHippy
For a few years I've owned Mad Monster Party?, but for some reason I had never sat down and watched it all the way through.

After Halloween the other night my son sat down with his giant bag of candy and we put on Mad Monster Party? for some Halloween fun.

The movie started out well enough. Dr. Frankenstein is inviting all the big famous monsters of the last hundred years to drop by for a big party where he will announce his retirement. There were some ok songs and everything was fine. It wasn't the best Rankin Bass thing I had ever seen but it was enjoyable enough and I was having fun plus my son was learning about all the big name monsters from cinema. So it was all ok. Then the ending, like the last 30 minutes just started picking things up considerably and the very ending.. holy shit! It blew my mind, in a kids film!?! - I couldn't believe it. Highly recommended. I will definitely watch this again. Great kids monster movie.

Last edit: 03 Nov 2015 08:39 by OldHippy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.443 seconds