October 09, 2023
2607 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2807 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
15 Nov 2015 10:45 #215062 by jeb
"Work," Barney, come on.

On Netflix tilt last night. I watched EQUILIBRIUM, which is like BOONDOCK SAINTS crossed with 1984 and worse than either of those pretty bad movies. I know the bar is low for sci-fi stuff, but people: Don't let it get this low.

Then I watch JOHN DIES AT THE END, which I want to be a series on Showtime or something. It was great! Like THE NAKED LUNCH meets Bill & Ted and smarter than either of those pretty bad movies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2015 08:19 #215098 by hotseatgames
Crimson Peak - It's been a while since I've seen a movie this bad. The boring actors spout boring lines about a boring story. I almost fell asleep a few times. Shame on you, Del Toro.

More
17 Nov 2015 11:02 #215231 by Columbob
What struck me the first time I watched Le dîner de cons is that they never actually make it to the dinner. If you want a similar type of French comedy, check out Le placard. Some older fare featuring Louis de Funès: Rabbi Jacob and La soupe aux choux (also starring the guy who plays the idiot in Le dîner de cons).

More
17 Nov 2015 11:15 #215232 by quozl
I watched Terminator: Genisys last night. Not a great movie but still a pretty good one. I like how they integrated T1 and T2,

More
17 Nov 2015 11:44 #215237 by Space Ghost

Black Barney wrote: Saw ROOM last night. I'll write a review in the next couple days. Not a good date movie, lol. Pretty rough but completely amazing.

Given how bad the book was, I am surprised the movie was good.

More
17 Nov 2015 13:54 #215258 by Shellhead

hotseatgames wrote: Crimson Peak - It's been a while since I've seen a movie this bad. The boring actors spout boring lines about a boring story. I almost fell asleep a few times. Shame on you, Del Toro.

Crimson Peak was improperly marketed as a horror movie, when it was actually a gothic romance movie. That makes it a very particular subset of chick flick.

More
17 Nov 2015 15:14 #215259 by Cranberries

Columbob wrote: What struck me the first time I watched Le dîner de cons is that they never actually make it to the dinner. If you want a similar type of French comedy, check out Le placard. Some older fare featuring Louis de Funès: Rabbi Jacob and La soupe aux choux (also starring the guy who plays the idiot in Le dîner de cons).

I love the obscure stuff that bubbles up on this site from time to time.

More
18 Nov 2015 09:56 - 18 Nov 2015 10:00 #215338 by Grudunza
Two polar opposites here...

Peanuts: Saw this the other night with my girls and we all really liked it. I grew up devouring Peanuts books, and enjoyed those classic films and TV specials, so for me, there was definitely a nostalgia factor. I thought this version had a really cool visual look (a mix of 2D and CGI), and they did some clever things with the animation.

In terms of story focus, the classic A Boy Named Charlie Brown (with the spelling bee) was better, but this was engaging enough. One thing I found interesting is that they really seemed to soften the “loser” status of Charlie Brown. Sure, Lucy still bags on him, and he feels inadequate and all that, but I recall some pretty heavy derision heaped on him in some of the older Peanuts films and specials. It would get downright dark at times. But I think this new film may be trying to shy away from depicting any serious bullying, so it’s a kinder and gentler Peanuts, I suppose.

Bone Tomahawk: A western with horror elements, starring Kurt Russell. Say no more, right? I hadn't even heard of this (limited release and VOD only), but some film review podcasters I listen to were raving about it, so I rented it on Vudu. I ended up liking it quite a lot, but it's uneven. For the most part it is just a western, basically The Searchers, and pretty solid in that sense, though the dialogue shifts from being witty and sharp to being forced and a little clunky. But then there are occasional bursts of violence and gore and horror movie tropes like, "Mr. Barn Caretaker... is that your shadow I see lurking in this dark barn??"

One thing to note is that this movie contains one of the most gruesome kills EVER, especially for a largely mainstream film. It is truly nasty. So there's that... The plot involves a tribe of cannibals attacking a small Old West town and kidnapping some people, leading the Sheriff (Russell) and a few others to go after them. Mathew Fox is particularly good as a smug doctor. A lot to like in the film, no doubt, but it's a little long and I think it doesn't quite hold together in its feel and style.
Last edit: 18 Nov 2015 10:00 by Grudunza.

More
18 Nov 2015 10:10 #215343 by Gary Sax
Agreed---there's no way that "real" Peanuts would make it into current popular culture unaltered. It is a fucking DARK strip, largely about the futility of life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
18 Nov 2015 10:49 #215346 by SuperflyPete
I stayed up late last night watching all three "Prequel" Star Wars films.

I'm starting to realize how much Lucas tried to add little humorous bits, but failed to execute them. The "Jar Jar shooting his tongue out and stealing the apples" bit was the worst offender....there was literally no reason for that to exist. Same with the bit at the Podraces where the animal farts on him. Literally a waste of 10 seconds of film.

That said, I think people are WAY too hard on them. Other than that kind of shit, they're really good. The one thing I wish he'd done is stick to REAL humor, like when Obi Wan says, "9 times....that business on (so and so) doesn't count". That was funny, and clever, and timed well.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.414 seconds