October 09, 2023
2587 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2784 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
22 Feb 2016 10:52 - 22 Feb 2016 11:07 #222977 by RobertB
Jexik wrote:

Saw Deadpool on Sunday and liked it a ton the first time. Saw it second time on Wednesday and most of my loud laughs were replaced with smiles. I caught a few lines and visual gags that had zipped by me the first time, but it was much less enjoyable. I kind of wished I just saw it the once since it left such an impression with me that night.

I'll vouch for that. Saw it on the opening weekend, but the wife took a pass that evening. I thought it was funny enough for me to insist that the missus go with me and see it. The second time was more chuckles than outright laughs for me. I guess I can blame the genre - I don't think I've ever paid full price twice to see a comedy.

ETA: Coworker blames the crowd. He's seen it twice, and for him the second time was actually funnier for him. Or at least he enjoyed it more. I'll grant that the second showing's crowd was relatively small and kind of quiet.
Last edit: 22 Feb 2016 11:07 by RobertB.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2016 13:26 #222983 by Mr. White
For family movie night we were about to watch Inside Out, but thankfully it wasn't available to rent from our usual channels. We watched Shaun the Sheep instead. I had wanted to watch this for a while, but not one I'm going to pop in on my own. Anyway, it was a good enough time. I guess I was expecting it to be a little better since it was reviewed so highly. Loved the animation, the songs and the begin and end...got bored a bit during the middle.

Also, for those still behind the times... Turbo Kid is now on Netflix.

More
24 Feb 2016 17:14 #223196 by Grudunza
Watched Ed Wood the other day with my older daughter. I'd seen it years ago, and loved it then, but wasn't sure if it would hold up. It definitely does. A very good movie about a guy who made very bad movies. Once in a while, Tim Burton can make a great one. This is probably his least Burton-esque film (no Helena Bonham Carter, even!), but it has a great mix of poignant drama and comedy. I love how it builds up, with Wood's direction becoming more incompetent and absurd (always "perfect!" though), and there are some fun parts like the meeting with Orson Welles, and the whole thing with the Baptists. And Martin Landau just KILLS it as Bela Lugosi. What a performance. That alone, whatever else you might think about the movie, is worth seeing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius, Feelitmon, Hadik

More
24 Feb 2016 22:14 #223225 by Shellhead
Back when it first came out, Time Bandits failed to capture my interest, so I skipped it and have never seen it until now. Either it's an overwhelming confirmation bias or I have keen instincts about trailers, but I am rarely wrong when I avoid something for this long. Sorry if I am taking a big steaming piss on somebody's nostalgia, but Time Bandits is a poor movie. The flimsy plot is little more than an excuse for a series of frantic randomfests of activity by the principal actors, who do little more than shout out lines at assigned intervals. Maybe it got really good in the final 30 minutes, after I dozed off, but when a movie has run on that long without capturing my slightest interest, I doubt it.

I don't hate Terry Gilliam. I liked his work with Monty Python, I really enjoyed Brazil, and I loved 12 Monkeys. But Time Bandits was only his second movie, and his first after Monty Python, so perhaps he merely struggled with overall process. Whatever the reason, Time Bandits wasn't funny, and it wasn't much of anything else either. Frankly, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure covered similar territory with considerably more wit and talent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
25 Feb 2016 01:15 #223230 by Cranberries
I agree, but the very ending when the little boy asks, "Why did all these people have to die?" --that really struck me when I first watched it as a kid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
25 Feb 2016 08:20 #223238 by Legomancer
I am a huge fan of Brazil and like 12 Monkeys a bunch, but yeah, Time Bandits is one I always want to like more than I do. Some great visuals, and some great lines, but it just needed a little more time in the oven. Same with Baron Munchausen. Anyone see the newest one, [Zero Theorem? I didn't hear much good about it.

Last night I watched the second movie on my Movies to Watch 2016 list: On the Waterfront. Really great movie with stellar performances by Brando and Malden. I guess Eva Marie Saint got an Oscar but while she was fine, I didn't find her wow-inspiring. Course, it's hard to be seen next to Peak Brando.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
25 Feb 2016 08:34 #223242 by Black Barney

craniac wrote: I agree, but the very ending when the little boy asks, "Why did all these people have to die?" --that really struck me when I first watched it as a kid.

Don't his parents die?? I think that’s the first time I felt depression as a kid. I felt gutted, I remember not wanting to see it again
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
25 Feb 2016 08:50 #223243 by Mr. White

Black Barney wrote:

craniac wrote: I agree, but the very ending when the little boy asks, "Why did all these people have to die?" --that really struck me when I first watched it as a kid.

Don't his parents die?? I think that’s the first time I felt depression as a kid. I felt gutted, I remember not wanting to see it again

That was exactly my reaction as a child as well. The first time a movie left a negative impression on me. Usually when parents die, it's early in the film and off camera, then the child/kids go off on their adventure.

This was totally different though. Rousing adventure with time traveling dwarves, then at the very end the boy tries to warn his parents, they don't listen and die, end film.

It was terrible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
25 Feb 2016 08:56 - 25 Feb 2016 08:57 #223245 by Black Barney
I haven't seen it in thirty years. It is free on Crackle and is always there on my Xbox one homepage mocking me. I want to watch it again and at the same time, I don’t
Last edit: 25 Feb 2016 08:57 by Black Barney.

More
25 Feb 2016 10:22 #223260 by Columbob

Shellhead wrote: I don't hate Terry Gilliam. I liked his work with Monty Python, I really enjoyed Brazil, and I loved 12 Monkeys. But Time Bandits was only his second movie, and his first after Monty Python, so perhaps he merely struggled with overall process. Whatever the reason, Time Bandits wasn't funny, and it wasn't much of anything else either. Frankly, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure covered similar territory with considerably more wit and talent.

Actually his first non-Python was Jabberwocky in 1977.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.510 seconds