October 09, 2023
2790 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2936 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
09 Mar 2016 09:49 - 09 Mar 2016 09:54 #224040 by MacDirk Diggler
Nah. He had tons of hair when he tried on the superman suit they spend tons of time and money making. Its Hollywood, he could have any amount or style of hair Tim Burton could envision.

Nic Cage is kind of a punchline now, but in 1998 he was at the top of his game. I actually thought he was a good casting decision for Superman. Better than Burton casting Keaton as Batman anyhow........
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Mar 2016 09:54 by MacDirk Diggler.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2016 11:24 #224050 by Josh Look

Jason Lutes wrote: I love Near Dark, but my favorite vampire movie is What We Do in the Shadows.

Still need to see that one. Love Jemaine, love Flight of the Conchords, love horror. How I've not seen it yet s beyond me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
09 Mar 2016 11:54 #224053 by Black Barney
Jemaine is in it?? Now I need to see it too

More
09 Mar 2016 12:15 #224054 by charlest
Murray is as well.

More
09 Mar 2016 12:28 #224055 by Michael Barnes
Speaking as an armchair vampire movie expert/aficionado...I _LOVE_ What We Do In the Shadows. I think it is easily the best vampire movie since Let the Right One In. It's really, really funny...especially if you are tuned to all phases of vampire lore. It's brilliant that each of the characters sort of represents a different one of those phases. You've got the Nosferatu-like one, the medieval warlord one, the gothic/romantic one and the trashy/punk one. And then this other bro that winds up as part of the story. I usually don't watch many comedies, but this one was right in line with my sense of humor and the subject matter was obviously near and dear to my heart.

The Lost Boys, I honestly think I may have seen it over 100 times. There was a summer, like '87 or '88, where I literally watched that movie almost every day. I love it, I think it is completely perfect. It's garbage, sure. But it's wonderful garbage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jason Lutes

More
11 Mar 2016 10:32 #224171 by MacDirk Diggler
I probably haven't seen an animated movie in the theater since prrobably Monsters inc. Watched Zootopia with the wife last night and give it a huge thumbs up. I need my animated movies to have tons of adult appeal and get tired of the comic relief cute/ annoying sidekick character (Donkey in Shrek) that seemed to be part of the formula for so many of these kinds of things. The plot of Zootopia is noir in the vein of Coen brothers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Columbob

More
12 Mar 2016 15:55 - 12 Mar 2016 15:56 #224233 by Josh Look
I saw 10 Cloverfield Lane this afternoon. I was on the edge of my seat practically from start to finish. Needed a moment after it finished. Great performances and a stellar debut from the director. I was a huge apologist for the original Cloverfield, but this was by far the superior movie. I'm done talking about it, not answering questions, it really is better enjoyed if you go in clean.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2016 15:56 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, Black Barney

More
12 Mar 2016 17:43 #224236 by Black Barney
If I thought Cloverfield was really overrated, will I like this ?

I gotta see Zootopia first anywho

More
12 Mar 2016 22:28 #224245 by Josh Look

Black Barney wrote: If I thought Cloverfield was really overrated, will I like this ?

I gotta see Zootopia first anywho

Yes, and I think this is the only question I am willing to answer. If you didn't like Cloverfield, this is a very different movie, surpringly well made and well acted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
14 Mar 2016 12:04 #224292 by Michael Barnes
Zootopia was awesome. I think it may be the best movie I've ever seen about racism. I really appreciated how it had enough surface-level, face-value messaging to stick with kids, but it was also surprisingly nuanced in how it treated complex subjects like institutional racism, stereotyping and prejudice. I loved that it was honest, acknowledging simple but often shoved aside truths like the fact that we are not "all the same inside" and that the usual "can't we all just along" level of platitudes do not apply to a messy, diverse world. I loved the bold faced truth of "the world has always been broken", and I thought it was really brave to pretty much put it out there that everyone has natural, unavoidable prejudices and judgments regardless of how progressive or liberal they think they might be. It's not about acknowledging that "we're all just people", it's about learning to respect, appreciate and understand differences. People are different from each other. Cultures are different. Lifestyles are different. Mentalities are different. We are not all "one people". That's a bitter pill to swallow for a lot of folks, and I thought it was pretty courageous to put a message so honest and straightforward out there during a time when the media is spending so much time, money and effort pushing people toward division and racial strife. Zootopia is counter-programming that suggests that we can all get along...but not by ignoring differences or by making the lines of color, class and creed less distinguished. Because that does not work.

The way this message was carried in a funny animal movie was just brilliant...in the film, it's not about skin color or place or origin. It's about being biologically, physiologically, and psychologically different species living together...and the utopia of Zootopia is where all of these differences are NOT homogenized, but CELEBRATED and SUPPORTED. It also shows how even in this Utopian society there is disillusionment and disenfranchisement that comes from SIZE as much as social stature- and the larger animals naturally treat the smaller animals differently.

It's beautiful to look at, funny, very well written and perfectly executed- a true family film with something for kids and adults to appreciate. My kids loved it (Scarlett declared it "the best movie ever"), but I was kind of surprised how much of the plot stuck with them...because it is actually pretty elaborate for under-8s, I think.

Best thing I've seen this year so far. Pretty much a shoe-in for the best animated picture Oscar next year.

In case you haven't noticed, Disney Animation Studios is now routinely and effortlessly blowing the Pixar brand out of the water. Between this, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Wreck it Ralph and Tangled...I'm much more interested to see what's next from these folks than...Finding Dory. Or Cars 5.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.520 seconds