October 09, 2023
2520 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
21 Nov 2015 15:03 #215567 by hotseatgames
At the kids' request, we watched.... Pixels. This movie is embarrassingly bad, even by Adam Sandler standards. If such a thing exists. The amazing part is, not only did they get Peter Dinklage, they got Sean Bean too!

I will say one nice thing. The soundtrack was pretty great. But don't get me wrong... DO NOT WATCH THIS FILM
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2015 16:49 - 21 Nov 2015 16:51 #215579 by Grudunza

JonJacob wrote: I finally watched Ex Machina... amazing film. Something I think will stand up to repeat viewings. I was really impressed and enjoyed it immensely but something odd happened when the film ended. I liked the ending but felt that if it had gone the other way (those who've seen it will know what I mean) it would have been just as good. Usually an ending like that feels necessary but the film was vague enough that either ending would have worked for me. The base was so strong that the narrative could have handled it easily.

Still my favorite film of the year at this point. And yes, the second time watching it was just as good, maybe even better to notice more of the great detail. There are so many nice layers in the dialogue, and the philosophical implications discussed are very interesting. And what a great three-person (well, two and an android) dynamic. Beautiful atmosphere and music and setting. It's a slow burn, but really pays off in so many cool ways.

About the ending, when you say "if it had gone the other way," I'm not 100% sure what you mean...

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 21 Nov 2015 16:51 by Grudunza.

More
22 Nov 2015 00:19 - 22 Nov 2015 01:38 #215591 by OldHippy
What did I mean by Ex Machina could have gone the other way? For those who haven't seen it.. DO NOT READ FURTHER, GIANT SPOILERS!!! IMMEDIATELY!

Edit: added spoiler tags

Last edit: 22 Nov 2015 01:38 by OldHippy.

More
22 Nov 2015 00:40 #215592 by Grudunza
Jon, you could add the spoiler tags for that.

Some good points. I'll expound a bit more on that later.

More
22 Nov 2015 12:19 #215624 by Disgustipater
Regarding the end of Ex Machina:

More
25 Nov 2015 12:40 #215902 by Michael Barnes
I finally watched Ex Machina myself last night...WOW.

What a mediocre movie.

It certainly wasn't bad, but it also wasn't anything particularly novel, compelling or unique. Same old SF tropes about what it means to be human, implications of AI, simulation and simulacra, man playing god, surveillance states, morality vs. science, etc. etc. etc. All stuff that was incredibly impressive when I was 20, maybe not so much at 40. I would have flipped for this movie 20 years ago...now it has the profundity of a ABC After School Special.

I mean, really, this movie did not have anything to say that Bride of Frankenstein didn't already cover. 80 years ago.

The leads were good, the robot design was great, the minimalist sets were nice. It was a good looking, stylish picture. But guys, come on...it's not like y'all haven't seen plenty of smart, intelligently written SF films before.

The ending was STUPID. Every twist, completely telegraphed. Not that I want movies to have twists anyway, but don't try to trick me and then do it badly. Everything about the plot was transparent. I felt like I was just waiting for things I already assumed to go on and happen.

Anyway, the whole time I was watching it, I kept thinking how much I would rather watch Hardware for the 1000th time.

I also watched half on Inside Out. I kind of hate it. Not at a Cars level, but because the whole film just makes me feel like I'm watching pop psychology geared toward the audience of a Target advertisement. OMG, growing up is hard. It causes FEELINGS. Dang, Pixar. Y'all are really digging deep on this one. That said, I think kids that are 8-10 years old might get a lot out of it because it does effectively visualize some pretty abstract concepts. But as an adult, it kind of feels like I'm in a room with a dude wearing a turtleneck sweater, strumming an acoustic guitar and entreating me to open up to my feelings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
25 Nov 2015 14:58 #215913 by Black Barney
man you're so cool, sometimes I don't think I can even stand it.

The whole kid feelings thing is something schools are starting to push a bunch up here. Getting kids to identify what they are currently feeling and how they could be feeling a different thing on any given day. This stuff is all good, getting kids to express their feelings and understand them. I thought the movie did a great job at all.

I thought the movie was awesome.

More
25 Nov 2015 15:04 #215914 by Chapel

Michael Barnes wrote: I also watched half on Inside Out. I kind of hate it. Not at a Cars level, but because the whole film just makes me feel like I'm watching pop psychology geared toward the audience of a Target advertisement. OMG, growing up is hard. It causes FEELINGS. Dang, Pixar. Y'all are really digging deep on this one. That said, I think kids that are 8-10 years old might get a lot out of it because it does effectively visualize some pretty abstract concepts. But as an adult, it kind of feels like I'm in a room with a dude wearing a turtleneck sweater, strumming an acoustic guitar and entreating me to open up to my feelings.

My six year old says you have no idea what you're talking about and has put you onto bullshit island. Kids today.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

More
25 Nov 2015 15:06 #215915 by quozl
What kind of idiot watches half a movie?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
25 Nov 2015 15:09 #215918 by Black Barney
i don't even think he got to watch the whole Bing Bong part, which was my favourite.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.650 seconds