October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What board games are you BUYING?

More
10 Feb 2016 11:50 #222188 by Legomancer

Legomancer wrote: Spoke too soon. Most games with a colonial theme would maybe just hope the subject doesn't come up. Ol' Phil puts in an appendix about how really, British Colonialism was the bomb-diggity for everyone involved.

Interestingly, I said this on Twitter and got a reply from Cole Wehrle:

"Believe me, it was a subject of much debate. Check the Pamir forums for the directors cut."

"Our disagreements got pushed into odd places-see my biblo note vs essay.The game itself tells a v different story of empire."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2016 11:56 #222190 by Gary Sax
Just picked that up on twitter to come here and look at but looks like you already posted it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
10 Feb 2016 14:27 #222210 by SuperflyPete
Coincidentally, I was watching a Milton Friedman forum from the 80's today, and one of the subjects was how shitty a deal colonialism was for every nation, ever. Colonial powers always had a net economic loss, apparently.

More
10 Feb 2016 14:39 #222213 by Sagrilarus

Legomancer wrote: I am super glad to finally own El Grande but not stoked to have this edition. I don't care about the expansions, I don't know anyone who's ever had anything great to say about them, and I can't imagine a world where they're needed. El Grande is fine as is and doesn't need a bunch of fuckery bloating up the box. I would seriously trade this for an old copy of just the base game. But I'm still glad to have it at hand.

I've had the Decennial Edition for about ten years and we haven't punched the expansions yet. The original concept is so fundamentally sound that no one in my group, and I've likely played with 12 different guys, has ever said "let's try one of the expansions". Just hasn't come up. As far as I'm concerned this is one of maybe three or four games that I would not change a single detail on.

S.

More
10 Feb 2016 18:20 #222226 by Grudunza
Stopped into a game store in Portland and found Target Earth there. I wanted that so bad back in like 2010, but it had no real US distribution. Still has good reports and reviews, though, so I'll give it a shot. It's a co-op XCOM type game.

More
10 Feb 2016 21:15 #222232 by Hadik
I'm roaring into 2016 it seems, with three games purchased in little over a month. That's a lot for me. I recently unloaded some old games and stuff on eBay and the money I made has been burning a hole in my pocket. So I'm achieving game equilibrium with some new acquisitions.

First, I bought Codenames, which people have said some good things about. And I like the idea. But once I read the rules and explained to the 3 people in my nuclear family how it plays, I became doubtful that it's the game for us. They seemed luke warm and while I can certainly badger them into playing, they aren't "spirit of the game" players and certain of them will quite likely bend the rules to their advantage. Then I will chastise them but it will do no good for the game will have become tainted. I think I really need a good-spirited gaming group to enjoy this one. (Read: it won't get played soon.)

Second, I found someone selling Lille (the old SPI siege game) and snapped it up. I have a few books on age-of-reason siege warfare and have toured a couple of forts here in North America and a couple in Europe. Last spring I spent two hours at the Musée des Plans-Relief. Lille is a bit of a grail game for me. Now it's all punched, the rules are read, and I am anxious to play it (solo).

Third and last: Battles in the Age of Reason: Fontenoy by Clash of Arms. This is a game I want to play in the next couple of years. I am in a "committed gaming relationship" via VASSAL and this is on our to-play list. It will be the most complex game I've played. But first I have to finished getting a beat-down in a few games of Kingdom of Heaven.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
10 Feb 2016 22:15 #222233 by Pat II
Picked up Space Cadets Away Missions. The game is pretty tough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
11 Feb 2016 08:38 #222243 by Legomancer
Still no-buy, but I went ahead and pre-ordered the new edition of 51st State. I'm a little wary of what I'm hearing about it, but come on, it's not like I wasn't going to get it. And pre-ordering directly from Portal means I put more money directly into Ignacy's hands, which is fine in my book. I think it's not out until August, so by the time it actually gets to me I should be done with my ultimatum list.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
12 Feb 2016 08:48 #222282 by Legomancer
Opened and punched my copy of El Grande Big Box. I'm glad to have a copy of this game of my own now but man, this edition is kind of...I dunno. It uses person-shaped meeples instead of cubes, which normally I couldn't care less about, but for this game it's a little off-putting. And the castello just seems small and flimsy. I'll play it and I'm glad to have a copy, but man, I wish I had the old one.

More
12 Feb 2016 08:58 #222283 by Gary Sax
I wonder if you could make a straight trade with someone for the old version? They might be way into getting the expansions, so could be a good for both of you.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds