October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2744 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What IOS games have you been playing?

More
06 Apr 2012 17:18 #122014 by ioticus
It would be a real shame if we lose a lot of casual gamers in Nightfall because of the lack of good teaching tools. I hope the online community becomes as vibrant as Ascension's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2012 17:33 #122018 by TheDukester

Bulwyf wrote: WotC just announced that the 2013 Duel of the Planeswalkers game will be available on iPad.

Woot! Nice catch there.

(And about damn time, WotC. Jesus wept ... )

More
06 Apr 2012 18:16 - 06 Apr 2012 18:17 #122028 by metalface13
Just got my butt handed to me in my first game against the AI in Nightfall. I definitely have no idea what I'm doing strategy wise. As for the tutorial and rule book, I know what's going on, just hard to keep up with what's going on. And strategy.

Titan HD has been fun, finally one on quick play setting for the first time a little while ago. This'll be fun when asynch comes out. And if you guys thought I was an easy target in Ascension, just wait to see how lousy I am at Titan!

I've been picking up Football Manager 2012 Handheld some more after the January transfer update came out and I've been nosing around fmhvibe.co.uk for strategy and tactics tips. Enjoying success with Arsenal so far, we'll see how it goes.

Out of the Park Baseball is out for iOS too. Never played the PC game, but after how much I've enjoyed Football Manager I'd be willing to check out another sports management game.

Nice to see Duels of the Planeswalkers coming out. Will it have asynch? I'd be more likely to play on iPad as my xbox has essentially turned into a Netflix machine.
Last edit: 06 Apr 2012 18:17 by metalface13.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aerodynamics

More
07 Apr 2012 18:12 #122122 by aerodynamics

metalface13 wrote: Out of the Park Baseball is out for iOS too. Never played the PC game, but after how much I've enjoyed Football Manager I'd be willing to check out another sports management game.

Thanks for the heads up on OotP Baseball for iOS. I'm a Strat-O-Matic fanatic, but until they adapt their game for the iPad, this may fill the bill.

I was looking for a card game with a bit more depth than Ascension, so I downloaded Nightfall yesterday. Ran through the tutorial and my head pretty much exploded. I devoted ten years of my life to Advanced Squad Leader, so I know I can figure this little card game out though. Next step is to read the actual game rules and start to get my head wrapped around it.

More
07 Apr 2012 18:48 #122124 by Ochobee
I found one of the best ways to get a handle on what is happening in the iOS Nightfall app is to go into the options screen and set the game speed to slow. It isn't that much slower but it goes at a pace that allows you to see what the AI players are doing as well as how their turn plays out in the interface.

That helped a ton and really helped showcase how much information Playdek managed to cram into a small space.

This is a fantastic app.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aerodynamics

More
07 Apr 2012 19:04 #122128 by TheDukester

aerodynamics wrote: Ran through the tutorial and my head pretty much exploded.

The basic problem is that the tutorial is complete and utter crap. It's a barrier to entry rather than a gateway.

But the complete rulebook is in there ... unlinked, of course. So be prepared to swipe 17 times to find that nugget of information on page 18.

Oh, and no one can seem to get online multiplayer working, either.

Other than that, Playdek knocked it out of the park ...

More
07 Apr 2012 19:25 - 07 Apr 2012 19:25 #122133 by metalface13
You've got to go into online before anyone else can invite you to play online. weird, but that's how it works.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2012 19:25 by metalface13.

More
07 Apr 2012 19:40 #122135 by Ochobee

TheDukester wrote: The basic problem is that the tutorial is complete and utter crap. It's a barrier to entry rather than a gateway.

But the complete rulebook is in there ... unlinked, of course. So be prepared to swipe 17 times to find that nugget of information on page 18.

The tutorial could definitely be better, but I think you are blowing the usability of the rulebook way out of proportion. Each of those pages takes at most about 10-20 seconds to read through and grok, and it walks you through the information in a way that makes sense. You're talking about 5 minutes worth of reading at most.

What they should have done is guide you to the rulebook first, then the tutorial (which is much more about the UI than anything, and have it default to the slow game speed. I too was confused after going tutorial first, but once I read the rulebook, changed the game speed and ran the tutorial again I had a much better understanding about what was happening and why.

And Metalface has the online right- Ascension is the same way. I believe that is a Gamecenter issue, not one from the app itself.

More
09 Apr 2012 12:39 #122218 by Bullwinkle
This Elder Sign: Omens update is great. The new investigators, adventures, and campaign are good, but the best part is that they seem to have upped the difficulty considerably. The base campaign (Azathoth) has gone from a near-certain victory to a toss-up, and most wins and losses are by the skin of your teeth. And the Cthulhu campaign is even harder.

More
09 Apr 2012 14:45 #122236 by SuperflyPete
BLOKUS HD is on sale today if anyone's interested.

It's FREE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds