October 09, 2023
2589 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2785 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
08 Nov 2017 18:13 #257292 by Michael Barnes
Playstation has that Mad Max game for $4.99. I couldn't resist.

Played for about 30 minutes. Watched some videos that were OK because they had War Boys and Mad Max talk in them. Walked down a corridor to fill up a canteen. Got to a scene where I had to follow a character while they talked so I turned it off.

Eh, probably wasted five bucks on that one. Looks like it will have ALL the junk ass open world stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2017 18:49 #257296 by jeb
@Colorcrayons: The Wii is awesome. Don't let anyone throw shade on the Wii. Kicks ass. EXCITEBOTS is awesome. So is BOOM BLOX. Track that down. See if BOMBERMAN BLAST is still around. That was WiiWare, you might need to homebrew. Dynamite party games, the lot of them. SUPER MARIO GALAXY 1 & 2 are both incredible, and have a co-op lite element. If you like pinball, PINBALL HALL OF FAME: THE WILLIAMS COLLECTION is great (The Wii has such a great control scheme for pinball.) That is a wise investment!

More
08 Nov 2017 21:40 #257316 by the_jake_1973
Check out Antihero on Steam. It is a very slick area control, worker placement game with some direct combat. Set in Victorian London, you are a master thief who needs to get a set amount of victory points by assassination, bribes, Blackmail, and some board specific conditions.

More
08 Nov 2017 21:52 #257318 by rocketkiwi
I've been playing HQ trivia on the iPhone, which is arguably a game. Finally won tonight for a cool 36 bucks that will help defray the cost of buying Cthulhu Wars from Barnes last night.

More
09 Nov 2017 09:53 - 09 Nov 2017 09:56 #257342 by san il defanso

Erik Twice wrote:

san il defanso wrote: I'm playing at the easiest difficulty with the the casual, "no character death" setting as well. JRPGs and turn-based games are normally not my cup of tea, but I am really impressed by the characterization and the relationships it forms. I might give it lots of time, against my original expectation.

You'll probably find that removing permadeath breaks the game by allowing you to throw your characters at the opponents, specially the bosses, without worry. Really, it's not really something that dictates the difficulty of the game, but a core aspect of the design. It's also vital to the theme of the game, I feel.

I haven't found that at all actually. It's still quite challenging, and I still play a bit conservatively because I want to actually keep my fighters in the fight, rather than losing them for some reason that I didn't foresee. Having never played before, I am fine with losing out on a core part of the experience if it makes the game a little more playable for me.
Last edit: 09 Nov 2017 09:56 by san il defanso.

More
12 Nov 2017 19:42 #257512 by Sevej
Farther with the Witcher 3.

The thing that stands out for me in the Witcher 3 is the choice of story. They pick a LOT on the subjects of love and family, such as domestic violence, toxic relationship, jealousy etc. Also, the mythology/folklore they use is unusual. There's a lot of mythical creatures I hadn't known (remember when we're sharing ghost stories in a thread?), and they have their peculiarities. They are also never thoroughly explained, which is a very good thing.

Combat satisfying, even on the easiest difficulty level.

But of course, it's easier to pick the bad stuff:
I think villages are wasted opportunities. The villages in the game were carefully built, but there's never a reason for the player to stay for long. I really wish I could fish, plant something, or, at the very least, cook my raw meats on fire pits. Also, villages are very similar.

It's also very gloomy. Despite the game having bright color palette, rain and cloud can still brown-ized your game, and the depressing story doesn't help at all.

Starting to have lots of map icons. I mean, LOTS. It's a good thing these encounters are very, very short.

The game boasts a huge map, but they're all same-y and flat-ey. Gothic series still have the best open world map. Proof that less is more.

Don't like "mandatory dialogue option". Geralt checks a dead body, and player can choose to check different body parts but making no decision at all.

More
15 Nov 2017 12:51 #257685 by san il defanso
I bailed on Fire Emblem Awakening. I really appreciate what it's trying to do, and it's nice to know who all of those characters in Super Smash Bros. are, but it's really not the sort of genre I enjoy much. I traded it in and picked up Splatoon for the Wii U. For a game that relies so much on its online implementation, it's still a lot of fun to play. I'm not really into the control scheme, where facing is determined by moving around the gamepad. This is not my favorite.

But I do really like the game. It's the sort of online experience where it definitely pays to learn how the different weapons work and the ins and outs of different stages, but it's not completely punishing for noobs. I really enjoy the brisk pace and the customization options too. It's a lot of fun, although I wish there was more available offline, for the inevitable day when the servers shut down. Even an option to set up matches against AI, pick the length of the match, stuff like that.

Still, since it was a trade-in for a game I didn't have to pay for, I could do a lot worse.

More
16 Nov 2017 13:05 #257745 by the_jake_1973
There is a great game on Steam called Antihero. Worker Placement, Advancement Trees, Fog of War, direct interaction. Really fun game.

More
16 Nov 2017 13:40 #257748 by RobertB
Still a rank beginner in Destiny 2. Right now it feels to me like a semiserious version of Borderlands, crossed with a bit of Guild Wars 2. I hit the level cap relatively quickly, but haven't finished enough of the campaign to unlock the dungeons (Strikes). So far it's okay. I have yet to talk to another human, which is kind of weird in what's supposed to be a sort of MMO.

More
16 Nov 2017 13:59 #257749 by Black Barney
i'm still playing Destiny 2 as well but can never bring myself to actually play it. It's weird. It has no draw from me and yet I want to complete the achievements

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.396 seconds