October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2720 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
31 Jan 2017 21:24 #243338 by Disgustipater
I know most people write this off immediately, but local co-op on the PC is doing pretty well. I just have a laptop that I can take to a friend's house, hook it up to the TV, and go. I have 8 controllers (4 wired and 4 wireless) to play Gang Beasts, but mostly it's 4 player stuff.

I have a pretty large selection of games:

Samurai Gunn
Mount Your Friends
Gang Beasts
Sportsfriends
Lethal League
Nidhogg
Foiled
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Videoball

I even have Ubuntu on a bootable USB stick so we can play JS Joust with my 7 PS Move controllers.

I know I'm in the severe minority, but I have a lot of fun with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2017 21:50 #243339 by hotseatgames
You're missing Ultimate Chicken Horse.

More
31 Jan 2017 23:21 #243341 by Disgustipater
I think that might be too slow moving for my group of friends.

I also want to try Lovers In A Dangerous Spacetime, but I imagine it wouldn't fly. I'll have to rope my wife into playing it with me.

More
01 Feb 2017 12:01 #243369 by jeb
NIDHOGG in tournament mode is amazing. I set that up at the kids' parties and it's a grand old time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
02 Feb 2017 03:54 #243394 by Hex Sinister
My pc is super old and I'll not get another til it's fried or I can't shop, bank, or surf anymore. The Switch promo didn't impress me but I've not really followed it. Probably not for me though...

More
02 Feb 2017 13:15 #243430 by hotseatgames
I pre-ordered Sniper Elite 4, which comes out Feb. 14. Normally I wouldn't pre-order a game, or even buy a game for full-price at release. There are rare exceptions, such as a Borderlands game.

I pre-ordered in this case because you get a bonus mission, and last year, playing co-op missions in Sniper Elite 3 with a friend of mine online was the most fun I had gaming in all of 2016. That game is phenomenal, and 4 looks to be at least that good.

More
03 Feb 2017 07:31 #243457 by Chaz
If you've got an okay gaming PC, there's a bunch of couch co-op games available. The list above is missing Overcooked. If you want to get things up on your TV, grab a Steam Link, and that's solved. You can either hook up wired controllers, connect PS4 (and maybe Xbox Ones?) via bluetooth, or get the 360 wireless PC receiver and use all your wireless 360 controllers. Since Sony and MS seem to be going to online MP-only, it's basically either that or Nintendo for couch co-op, but it's definitely still an option.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
04 Feb 2017 11:38 #243496 by hotseatgames
I'm in the Ghost Recon Wildlands beta this weekend on Xbox One. I played through all 6 main story missions yesterday with various people online. That in itself didn't take very long. The world is huge, and the beta is only 1 out of 21 areas. Luckily there is fast travel because you could easily spend the majority of your time traveling. There seems to be a pretty long upgrade path, and it was fun finding new equipment in the world.

The game looks great, and playing with other people was easy, and everyone cooperated. Voice chat didn't seem to work for me for some reason.

Based on my short time with it, I'd call it a 3rd person Joint Ops, or a less-crazy multiplayer Just Cause. Both of those are compliments. At this point I expect I'll get it in the future, but I'm not sure about platform yet. I am a much better shot on PC, but I'm sure the community will be better on Xbox.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney

More
06 Feb 2017 14:37 #243554 by Vlad
I tried the demo for Watch Dogs 2, got instantly hooked and bought the whole thing. I really like this game, because:

- It's a very competent GTA-like that's not a mass murderer simulator. Been playing for about 6 hrs and haven't killed anybody yet. Nor used a gun. I realized that I can order cars with an app, so stopped hijacking vehicles, too.
- Hacking is very cool. So far, I have only once or twice physically stepped INSIDE the facility I was infiltrating, and very briefly. You can do most of the stuff by sending in your drones and hacking cameras.
- The writing is not bad so far. Screw it, it is actually pretty damn good, in particular for video-games. The hackers, including the main character, are a likable bunch, not your typical video-game ass-holes, the banter between them has a natural flow to it, and it is all pretty energetic, aiming more for buddy comedy than the usual nihilist drama of the open world. So far, it doesn't take itself too seriously, but it is not slapstick either. And you immediately notice that this is not Rockstar because there're no racist, chauvinistic or homophobic slurs and stereotypes disguised as "satire". That doesn't mean that all the jokes or lines work, either... but so far, nothing that made me want to throw up.
- you get to hack Scientology. And rescue a Tom Cruise look-alike from it (I hoped for Travolta, though). Again, so far, I didn't have any ethical issues with missions themselves or character's motivation to do them (my chief problem with GTA)
- San Francisco is portrayed in a very cool, friendly way. I caught myself thinking - I wouldn't mind living in a city like this for awhile, which I never think about GTA-likes.

I really wish they had scrapped the firearms altogether. It just doesn't fit the characters and the tone of the game. Even the scene where these guys 3D-print a gun is kind of uncomfortable and out of place. But I understand, since physical violence has been a staple of open world games for so many years, you can't expect an AAA title to just say: this is not a game where you shoot people. Anyway, I think those times are not too far away.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
06 Feb 2017 15:37 #243555 by jeb
Thanks for this Vlad. I was thinking about WD2 this weekend as I want a GTA game, but I don't want GTA. This confirms my suspicions that WD2 can deliver that experience.

how's the music tho?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.859 seconds