October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MUSIC are you listening to?

More
21 Jul 2018 16:19 #278060 by Colorcrayons

SuperflyTNT wrote:

jay718 wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: King Diamond > John Mayer

At this point it’s clear you’re trolling.

There's not a chance that John Mayer has an album as good as Abigail under his belt. He's obviously a gifted guitar player, but his original music stinks.

To end this once and for all, I give you Eric Clapton saying John Mayer is a MASTER.

Huh. I used to beleive Clapton wasn't retarded. I guess the 60's drug use has finally surfaced in a notable fashion.

There is no way Mayer will ever be remembered as having the same impact on music as Abigail.

Abigail is a veritable masterpiece of rock composition. Not subjectively, but objectively. Read the sheet music. From paper to ear it's just this side of Mozart level genius.

Mayer is talented, but that talent has yet to surface to the same degree as King Diamond's Abigail.
This isn't about potential. This is about reality.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, jay718, Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2018 21:31 #278098 by SuperflyPete
You guys kill me.

Citing a 1978 album that spawned horror metal and created an entire genre of “metal storytelling” and comparing it to a 2000 pop singer is retarded.

That’s like saying “Mozart was an influential prodigy so Wagner sucks”. What kind of retarded comparison is that?

The issue isn’t “OMG ABIGAIL IS BETTER THAN JOHN MAYER” it’s “John Mayer is a bad ass guitar virtuoso.” Which is an objective fact.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
21 Jul 2018 22:19 - 21 Jul 2018 22:19 #278105 by Colorcrayons

SuperflyTNT wrote: That’s like saying “Mozart was an influential prodigy so Wagner sucks”.

Actually, it's not like that at all.

SuperflyTNT wrote: What kind of retarded comparison is that?

I dunno. You're making the comparison that's retarded, so you explain the reasoning to us.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2018 22:19 by Colorcrayons.

More
21 Jul 2018 23:00 - 22 Jul 2018 00:38 #278107 by SuperflyPete

Colorcrayons wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: That’s like saying “Mozart was an influential prodigy so Wagner sucks”.

Actually, it's not like that at all.

SuperflyTNT wrote: What kind of retarded comparison is that?

I dunno. You're making the comparison that's retarded, so you explain the reasoning to us.

Wagner and Mozart were separated by decades.

Mozart composed individual pieces and suites, and though he did dramas, Wagner os most known for operas. Different scope, different times. Your boys are trendsetters and visionaries, Mayer is simply an ultra talented bluesman, and while he is mostly known for pop, he does all kinds of things. He’s with the Dead (remaining) now. He’s done pop. He’s done blues. Both incredible in their own right, just different.
Last edit: 22 Jul 2018 00:38 by SuperflyPete.

More
22 Jul 2018 10:18 #278121 by Black Barney
Never thought I’d see a cool discussion around John Mayer. I love this place. You’re both making great arguments

It’s important to highlight that Pete’s evaluating Mayer simply on his guitar ability, which is totally fair. I realize it’s hard not to think of everything else about him when evaluating anything about him. I mean my evaluation of his hair would be influenced by my thoughts of him as a person

He was in Montreal cohosting a Just for Laughs gala, weird. Seeing him on HQ the other day was weird too. I wonder why he’s branching like that

More
12 Sep 2018 09:42 #281479 by BaronDonut
I've been listening to Spiritualized's latest album, And Nothing Hurt, on repeat for a couple days now. It doesn't vary the formula significantly (mode one: big sweeping ballads w psychedelic gospel accoutrements, mode two: druggy rockers w psychedelic blues accoutrements), but I think his songwriting is particularly effective this go around. His voice sounds cracked and vulnerable to the nth degree, and his songs have a heartbreaking directness to them that feels right. Fans should be happy, and if you've never listened to them before this would be a perfectly fine place to start. "Let's Dance" is going in my top ten Spiritualized songs fer sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure, Frohike, engineer Al, BillyBobThwarton, Ah_Pook

More
12 Sep 2018 11:24 #281488 by Count Orlok
I picked up the new album by Nothing. It scratches that metal with shoegaze somehow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, allismom3, Josh Look, Frohike

More
12 Sep 2018 13:05 #281494 by Not Sure

BaronDonut wrote: I've been listening to Spiritualized's latest album, And Nothing Hurt, on repeat for a couple days now. It doesn't vary the formula significantly (mode one: big sweeping ballads w psychedelic gospel accoutrements, mode two: druggy rockers w psychedelic blues accoutrements), but I think his songwriting is particularly effective this go around. His voice sounds cracked and vulnerable to the nth degree, and his songs have a heartbreaking directness to them that feels right. Fans should be happy, and if you've never listened to them before this would be a perfectly fine place to start. "Let's Dance" is going in my top ten Spiritualized songs fer sure.

Yeah, this album is like a fan treat. There's nothing new or different in it, just more of what you came for. I'm okay with that.

I'm not sure any of them crack top ten for me (yet), but "I'm Your Man" and "Sail on Through" have been early standouts to me.

Every year I'm amazed the guy is still alive and I'm beyond surprised to get a new album. I see them every chance I get, which is still "rarely".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, engineer Al, BaronDonut

More
13 Sep 2018 15:05 #281549 by BaronDonut

Not Sure wrote: I see them every chance I get, which is still "rarely".

I only saw them once, about a decade ago--they must have been touring behind Songs in A&E. Half the band was dressed completely in black, half the band was dressed completely in white. Jason played the entire set in sunglasses (no surprise), and said not one single word the entire set. He gave the slightest of head nods after the last song and threw his guitar pick into the crowd and walked off. It was the best.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
13 Sep 2018 15:15 #281552 by Not Sure

BaronDonut wrote:

Not Sure wrote: I see them every chance I get, which is still "rarely".

I only saw them once, about a decade ago--they must have been touring behind Songs in A&E. Half the band was dressed completely in black, half the band was dressed completely in white. Jason played the entire set in sunglasses (no surprise), and said not one single word the entire set. He gave the slightest of head nods after the last song and threw his guitar pick into the crowd and walked off. It was the best.

That's not unusual. I've seen them at least five times going back to 2001, and I don't think I've ever heard a single word of stage banter. They also play exactly the same whether the place is sold out or nearly empty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BaronDonut

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds