October 09, 2023
2550 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2746 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
22 Mar 2016 12:31 #224691 by Joebot

ThirstyMan wrote:

bfkiller wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote: nothing I like at all...

Super irritating show...

Why do you keep watching it?

I watch it so I can make a valid criticism. For all I know, it might get better. Otherwise I might come across as just some anti DD rando. You fan boys are just a joke, especially when it comes to shitting on your favourite commercial franchise for crappy writing. Maybe you'd like to disagree with my contention that telling the back story for The Punisher over 18 minutes is super fucking boring.

What is Rat Patrol?

Critiicizing the show itself would be fine, and would lead to some interesting discussion and debate. But why do you have to belittle and insult the FANS of the show too ("geeky nerds," "fanboys, "etc.)? I don't get that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2016 12:33 #224692 by ThirstyMan

bfkiller wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote:

bfkiller wrote:

Super irritating show...

I watch it so I can make a valid criticism. For all I know, it might get better. Otherwise I might come across as just some anti DD rando. You fan boys are just a joke, especially when it comes to shitting on your favourite commercial franchise for crappy writing.

You've watched a season and a half of a show you hate so you can say you hate it with substance? Ok; to each his own.

I'm not a huge fan of the show. I like it fine but don't love it. So I don't really care much if you love it or hate it. I was just confused why you've given it so much of your time. Personally, if I hate a show after a few episodes, I find something else to do.

Maybe you'd like to disagree with my contention that telling the back story for The Punisher over 18 minutes is super fucking boring.

Nope. That bored me, too.

I find it interesting that so many people think its brilliant. Its worth watching just for that. I have a greater attention span than a goldfish so I bother watching it. I realise you have no time to watch stuff that doesn't match your high standards and that you can judge stuff in 40 minutes. Good for you. May get significantly better when Electra comes in, let's hope so. I find the story very, very basic but it may yet have clever twists in it, don't know yet.

More
22 Mar 2016 12:37 - 22 Mar 2016 12:39 #224693 by ThirstyMan

Joebot wrote:
Critiicizing the show itself would be fine, and would lead to some interesting discussion and debate. But why do you have to belittle and insult the FANS of the show too ("geeky nerds," "fanboys, "etc.)? I don't get that.

That really isn't denigrating the fans to any serious extent. I mean, I can, if you want me to but that doesn't even register as an insult with me. A mild dig maybe. I think you need to be a super sensitive fanboy and/or nerdy geek to feel insulted by that.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2016 12:39 by ThirstyMan.

More
22 Mar 2016 12:41 #224694 by ThirstyMan

Sagrilarus wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote: What is Rat Patrol?

It's a reference to the ASL crack above. It's a show about a Squad of American soldiers in North Africa. Ran in the 60s.

Right, so totally over my head really.

More
22 Mar 2016 12:48 #224696 by bfkiller

ThirstyMan wrote: I find it interesting that so many people think its brilliant. Its worth watching just for that.

May get significantly better when Electra comes in, let's hope so. I find the story very, very basic but it may yet have clever twists in it, don't know yet.

Thanks for the explanation.

More
22 Mar 2016 13:06 - 22 Mar 2016 15:47 #224697 by boothwah

Joebot wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote:

bfkiller wrote:

Super irritating show...

I watch it so I can make a valid criticism. For all I know, it might get better. Otherwise I might come across as just some anti DD rando. You fan boys are just a joke, especially when it comes to shitting on your favourite commercial franchise for crappy writing. Maybe you'd like to disagree with my contention that telling the back story for The Punisher over 18 minutes is super fucking boring.

What is Rat Patrol?

Because he's an asshole and thinks pretty highly of himself and his opinions.

EDITED : Removed trigger words since Thirsty called me a Tosser. Made my day. I reread his posts with a mouth-full-marbles cockney accent and now they are all delightfully entertaining.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2016 15:47 by boothwah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
22 Mar 2016 13:15 - 22 Mar 2016 13:16 #224699 by ThirstyMan
You're pretty much a fucking dick.

Quote me a single post where I've been homophobic. Tosser.

I don't go for passive aggressive, leave that shit for BGG
Last edit: 22 Mar 2016 13:16 by ThirstyMan.

More
22 Mar 2016 16:34 #224714 by repoman
A couple things:

1) ASL is pretty great.

2) Have you guys never interacted with Andy? You can't get bent because he called you a geek, tosser or whatever. Christ, those are terms of endearment from him.

3) Hey, he may not like the show but at least he watches it so his criticisms are informed. Nobody says you have to agree with what he's said.

4) Hompophobe? Andy? Nah. Misanthrope....absolutely
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThirstyMan

More
22 Mar 2016 17:03 #224717 by Joebot

ThirstyMan wrote:

Joebot wrote:

That really isn't denigrating the fans to any serious extent. I mean, I can, if you want me to but that doesn't even register as an insult with me. A mild dig maybe. I think you need to be a super sensitive fanboy and/or nerdy geek to feel insulted by that.

WARNING: DO NOT ENGAGE! REPEAT! DO NOT ENGAGE!

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna move on.

Anyway ... I'm four episodes into season 2 of "Daredevil," and I like it quite a bit. You can level all sorts of criticisms at the MCU, but I think one thing you CAN'T fault them on is casting. They repeatedly find unsuaul, interesting actors in their shows. Charlie Cox is really great in this role, as is the guy playing the Punisher.

That being said, the pacing is ... weird. I think the issue is that the binge-watching model has totally distorted the idea of an "episode." A single episode doesn't have to be a single, self-contained piece anymore. Netflix seems to assume that you're going to watch all 13 episodes back-to-back-to-back, so there's no need to structure the narrative around episodes. Well, I personally DO NOT watch TV that way, so when I watch a single episode, it feels strangely paced. It's like when comics moved into the "decompressed" storytelling style in order to sell trade paperbacks. Yeah, a story arc might read just fine in a collected trade, but if you're buying the monthly issues, you often felt like you didn't get much of a story.

I also think the show is REALLY struggling (so far anyway) to find stuff for Foggy and Karen to do. In the 4th episode, Karen investigates Frank Castle's house. The show keeps cutting away from Matt's exploits to show Karen creeping through this dark house ... only to discover that Frank was married and had kids ... which is exactly what Frank TELLS Matt. So .... what was the point of Karen's little adventure?? Maybe it has a point later on, but for now I couldn't help wondering why I had to watch all of that, since it added nothing to the story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
22 Mar 2016 19:33 #224719 by Michael Barnes
I like Daredevil a lot, but yes, definitely, the key reason I do is that I love Daredevil in the comics and they've done a stellar job of translating the characters and stories to a serial TV show. It is, however, only one take on the character and it does not for example have any trace of the recent Mark Waid tone. Which is kind of completely different, although the principles are the same.

And I would stop at calling it "brilliant". It is not "brilliant" at all. There isn't really anything surprising or unexpected about it, save for the quality of the melee scenes which are WAY better than anything ever seen on a TV show. It is, ultimately, a comic book show. It's just that it's more about lawyers, gangsters fistfights and simplistic moral uncertainty than what is in the current MCU fare and that somehow makes it seem more "adult", I guess. And I do agree that the showrunners often push that "adult" angle to hard with the graphic violence.

The thing with Karen is VERY awkward because to me, it is so very clear that it is something that Ben Urich would have been doing. I don't buy that she would go B&E and do all of this investigating at all. But, you are right on the money Joe that they are kind of struggling to find things for Karen and Foggy to do when Matt disappears. In the comics, it's not really an issue...Matt goes off, gets tore up and wallows in self-deprecating despair, and maybe Foggy and whoever else just isn't in the book for three issues and then they get to yell at/take care of/get frustrated with him for being gone. The showrunners here have to keep those characters persistent and continually involved and I think that the writers would likely agree that it is a challenge. Especially when Foggy, for instance, isn't really very interesting. He's a doofy sidekick and that's about it. Karen Page, in the books at least, takes an interesting turn but I don't know if they'll go in that particular direction.

That said, I'm a little further on and Karen's snooping does lead up to something, but it's kind of dumb and sort of implausible. Foggy gets to fumble around with the "what do we do without Matt" shtick for a bit. And then everybody gets mad at Matt for being absent. So like four issues of storyline in one episode.

The serial thing is an interesting, current problem. Yes, Netflix expects you will binge watch it all. So it almost feels like the episode breaks are arbitrary. Elektra puts on mask- CREDITS. There's no tension created by not being able to see the next episode until a week- or MONTHS- later. And it is totally a serial, no standalone episodes at all. But that is what TV audiences want these days.

Punisher kind of takes a silly turn...at least in the episode I just watched today. It was a little too...too much muchness, as was stated above.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.720 seconds