October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2713 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Prometheus trailer

More
12 Jun 2012 14:10 #127986 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re: Prometheus trailer
That's so true Sag. Aliens starts up and I'm convinced Ripley will be lone survivor yet again. Then Newt shows up and I think, "oh snap, wait a minute, now we need a father figure so Ripley gets her family back." I couldn't figure out who daddy was at all since Hicks reminded me too much of Dallas who i thought would die. Bishop surviving was a huge surprise. I never thought they'd keep him. Hicks was sort of corny to keep alive but I still liked the ending cuz it made sense.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2012 15:03 #127995 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: Prometheus trailer
I watched The Thing last night. One of John Carpenter's finest movies. Anyway, you could say that it was a science-fiction movie, because there is most definitely an alien from another world. But really The Thing is a horror movie. It's scary and gross, and beyond the usual fear, there is a palpable sense of paranoia. Aside from the blood test, there is no science that is especially pertinent to the story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fallen

More
12 Jun 2012 18:18 #128026 by Fallen
Replied by Fallen on topic Re: Prometheus trailer

JonJacob wrote: Frankenstein is an early Sci-Fi story not because it happens in the 19th century without space or aliens, but because it takes a scientific idea of the time and applies it to a moral idea previously not considered.

Give Metropolis a try. Sure it's a silent film from the 20's, but its social struggle is still pertinent to today. It is a sci-fi movie, easily one of the very first.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
12 Jun 2012 18:31 #128029 by Black Barney
ugh I hated Metropolis. It ripped off Snow White & The Huntsman in every single way

More
12 Jun 2012 18:34 #128030 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: Prometheus trailer

Black Barney wrote: ugh I hated Metropolis. It ripped off Snow White & The Huntsman in every single way

...using time travel technology to get the jump by several decades.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
12 Jun 2012 18:38 #128033 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: Prometheus trailer

Shellhead wrote:

Black Barney wrote: ugh I hated Metropolis. It ripped off Snow White & The Huntsman in every single way

...using time travel technology to get the jump by several decades.

9 in fact... that really does make it the greatest sci-fi movie ever made then.

BB, can you explain or was that a joke? I'm lost.

More
12 Jun 2012 18:55 #128036 by Black Barney
San Defanso made a funny regarding Snow White & The Huntsman in his fun recent article (the one that comes up if you google "mediocrity in writing" so i was trying to do the same :(

And it's funny on BOTH ends! Calling Snow White & The Huntsman original and saying that something as great as Metropolis would actually borrow from something else, especially something starring the actress who continuously looks like she just slammed her thumb with a hammer.

Damn you JJ for making me explain my above-the-rim joke. Look how Shellhead pushes the ball forward with his reply and look how you RUINSD everything.

More
12 Jun 2012 19:02 #128037 by san il defanso
To paraphrase Mel Brooks, it rises below mediocrity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
12 Jun 2012 19:15 #128039 by bomber
Replied by bomber on topic Re: Prometheus trailer
the definition of sci fi is not aliens, spaceships, and fucking laser beams!

More
12 Jun 2012 19:44 #128044 by Fallen
Replied by Fallen on topic Re: Prometheus trailer

ldsdbomber wrote: the definition of sci fi is not aliens, spaceships, and fucking laser beams!

I agree with this as not everything Ray Bradbury did include those, but he is one of THE quintessential American Sci-Fi writers. Look at the twilight zone stuff, Rod Serling pushed all sorts of buttons and dials with his writing, again not all of it includes the “sci-Fi” stereotype.

Sci-Fi to me is an escape from reality, something that plays on the fringes of accepted moral & social standards, and something that challenges me peek outside of my box and explore something I may not have an opportunity to do otherwise. That is Sci-Fi. To accomplish this, it needs firm(ish) logic & a framework based on (a) scientific theory that I can readily accept as temporary fact in order to further explore the story taking place within said framework.

Galileo, the true father of sci-Fi, had no idea what spaceships and lasers were, he left those things to the imagination of Leonardo da Vinci.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.288 seconds