October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2713 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

It's finally done

More
04 Apr 2012 20:29 #121599 by tscook
Replied by tscook on topic Re: It's finally done
I'm sorry you wasted 144 hours of your life.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2012 20:34 #121603 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Re: It's finally done

tscook wrote: I'm sorry you wasted 144 hours of your life.

Go fuck yourself. Buffy is pretty awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken B., Ancient_of_MuMu

More
04 Apr 2012 20:38 #121606 by tscook
Replied by tscook on topic Re: It's finally done
Oh man here is Joss Whedon being really clever again hahahaha I can never get enough, no matter how many times he wants to make sure I know thisss

More
04 Apr 2012 21:19 #121627 by Bullwinkle
Replied by Bullwinkle on topic Re: It's finally done

dave wrote: I actually liked Angel much more than Buffy, it had a stronger "comic book feel". But bear in mind that season 7 of Buffy was by far my favorite of the series for the same reason, so...

...so you are a heathen.

Actually, I liked Angel quite a bit once I got past the first two seasons, which I thought sucked (especially the first). But then there were some great stories, ignoring the occasional run off the rails (e.g. Connor).

More
04 Apr 2012 22:02 #121651 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re: It's finally done
Favorite Villains:

Spike
Faith
Angelus
Willow
Caleb
The MOTHERFUCKING GENTLEMEN

More
05 Apr 2012 07:36 #121729 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re: It's finally done
The gentlemen is the obvious best one off. Or at least the one that stands out off the top of my head.
Best season villan? The mayor and faith.

More
05 Apr 2012 08:30 #121732 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re: It's finally done
Here is my overall impression of each season. It has spoilers so be warned!

Season 1:
Thank God it's only 13 episodes because this is rough as shit. The jemp in quality from seasons 1 to 3 is fucking amazing. I mean the action scenes are fucking unwatchable! It's a fun romp I guess but yeah, this would universally be considered the worst season. Show was struggling to find it's feet. It hadn't quite worked out it's "Buffy logic" yet (it tried to act more real world, whereas by S3 the writers were treating the buffy universe more like a world populated by dumb dumbs.) Strong character work which would become a show staple, but it also showed that other show staple - the abandoning of plot threads. The whole seasons pumps up the fact she wont know who the anointed one is... but when she sees him she knows him straight away. Lame. In fact the master was bit of a bore in general really, but OK for a season 1 villan.

S2. Started off similar to S1 though the eps were stronger. Then spike and dru arrives and the series suddenly gets really good. It's like a total change really. Characters find their voices here (Cordelia was an utter cartoon in S1). Angel who was rather dull in S1 becomes fantastic, especially when he turns. Spike and Dru rule. Xander went from annoying to my favourite character. Jenny Calander even starts to become interesting before they off her (yay!) The series becomes polished and adds much needed depth while remaining fun and funny. This also had the best season ending of the entire series, really good resolution. Shame they retcon it a bit in S3.

S3. Probably the best season. Angel returns to quick, but apart from that little to complain about. The faith storyline kicks ass (helped that it was one of the few season arcs I was unaware of heading in.) The mayor ruled. "Buffy logic" was fully established by now (especially by the last episode with the highschool fight) and the best character ever was introduced (Anya). Great shit. The only complaint was the Mayors resolution was a bit piss weak (a giant snake? really?) but otherwise all good.

S4. Another solid season. I actually like Riley and felt he was a bit hard done by. Series matured a bit as was needed. The secret base shit was intereesting and a cool idea, though the series struggled with it a bit (which would become a trend of the show from here on.) Adam was an interesting idea for a villan but they could have done a bit more with him. The Spike suckage begins - I really like spike but once he gets the chip he is never as cool, and gets overused throughout the rest of the series.

S5. Another solid one, loved the villan and the ending, though she went out a bit easy (by now I'm getting sick of buffy beating all the boss badies in fights.) Spike overexposure continues and the character really begins to make no sense here. He should have been killed off in S4. Riley unfairly gets the ass. Anya and Xander become the heart of the show. Tara comes in and is a great character too. The dawn thing is a fantastic idea... problem is it wrecks the rest of the series. Sorry, but I can't give a shit about dawn past this season because she isn't real! Anyway it's the last of the solid seasons.

S6. I loved the ideas presented here, and what the tried to do was fantastic, but the execution ruins it. The trio are great, but "Dark willow" was done all wrong - magic is a drug addiction now? WTF? It should have shown her being corrupted by magic slowly, not acting like a junky. Ruins the whole season arc. Xander and Anya continue to steal the show. Spikes character really stops making sense and its obvious the writers have no idea what to do with him but need to keep him for the lame assed fangirls. The buffy heaven stuff was great but they should have gone further with it rather than get distracted by having her have a fucking retarded relationship with Spike.

S7. Spike gets his soul back and proceeds to act exactly like he did pre-soul. So whats the fucking point? The whole thing was fucking stupid and this season breaks all the rules it had established about vampires up until now. Then it breaks the rules of slayers with this whole "potentials" thing - where did that come from? The first is a fantastic concept for a villan who the writers do next to nothing with. Then they start introducing boring 'heavy' villans because they are stuggling that much. The main characters all get pretty much sidelined for the boring assed potentials. The Anya arc gets fantastic with Selfless then she goes nowhere. Until the end where she gets the worst character death I have ever seen. What was the point of killing her off? What a load of shit, should have killed off that annoying Kenny cunt. The whole 'girl power' thing was really on the nose the season, especially with Caleb the boring. The season was great up until the potentials, but then it became a fucking mess. I like the idea behind the season, but the execution was woeful. And Spike - enough with that guy already. I would have enjoyed his arc IF I DIDN"T ALREADY SEE IT WITH ANGEL! The last episode made very little sense, though I liked that it ended with sunnydale destroyed. But yeah, th series was out of ideas by this point.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds