October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2724 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Sherlock Season 2 Debuts Tonight

More
06 May 2012 21:38 - 06 May 2012 21:49 #124694 by groth
Here is the PBS preview .

There's also rumors of Benedict Cumberbatch becoming The Master on Dr. Who.

He would be infinitely better than the previous Master, Eminem (John Simm).
Last edit: 06 May 2012 21:49 by groth.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2012 05:35 #124707 by Grudunza
I caught season 2 already, and this first episode is the best of all of them, IMO (the finale is great, too, but I didn't care that much for the Hound of the Baskervilles ep). Fantastically well written and directed, with a great payoff at the end. Don't miss it!

More
08 May 2012 01:45 #124803 by Ryan B.
Really heard this was great.

More
08 May 2012 02:48 #124809 by Mr. White
Damn, missed it.

We really dug season 1. Any idea when this episode repeats?

More
08 May 2012 08:18 #124822 by Erik Twice

Grudunza wrote: I didn't care that much for the Hound of the Baskervilles ep)

Everyone I know was dissapointed by that episode. The soultion? Drugs! And the trick? More drugs! Not fun in a series about deduction.

More
08 May 2012 18:08 #124860 by clockwirk

Jeff White wrote: Damn, missed it.

We really dug season 1. Any idea when this episode repeats?

Looks like you can watch online here
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
08 May 2012 23:05 #124884 by Grudunza

Erik Twice wrote:

Grudunza wrote: I didn't care that much for the Hound of the Baskervilles ep)

Everyone I know was dissapointed by that episode. The soultion? Drugs! And the trick? More drugs! Not fun in a series about deduction.

Yeah, plus it was kind of more of an X-Files kind of thing... just seemed out of character from the rest of the series.

The season finale is a showdown between Sherlock and Moriarty, and the ending is truly a "WTF??" kind of thing. But there are some specifics in the first two episodes of the season that might be relevant to explain what happened, so keep that in mind. I'd like to discuss the finale here, but I'll wait until that episode airs on PBS in a couple weeks.

I watched the first ep (Belgravia) again, and it was even better the second time. I love how they pieced everything together in that one and kept you guessing right until the end. And in a couple of ways, they made Sherlock a little more of a likable character... still a snot, but with some ability to care for people (Mrs. Hudson, Irene Adler) and to feel bad for his behavior (apologizing to Molly). I think it might have been a problem if they didn't soften him up just a little bit, like they did with Michael Scott after the first season of the U.S. Office. It gets hard to watch someone who's just a jerk 100% of the time, even if they are brilliant in their own way.

More
24 May 2012 14:41 #126594 by Grudunza
About the season finale...

I didn't really love it that much altogether... something about the whole Moriarty fake-out to discredit Holmes felt like it wasn't very plausible. But the Sherlock conclusion/ending was a face-melter, no doubt. Of course, there's an explanation, but it sure looked very convincing.

Here are some of my thoughts about the ending...

The obvious things about how he pulled it off:

Warning: Spoiler!

The less obvious possible connections:

Also:

More
24 May 2012 15:50 #126599 by wolvendancer
Sherlock is a great series, with the exception of the 2nd episode of the 1st season, which ranks as one of the most racist bits of popular culture I've seen in the last ten years.

SPOILER

Devious, inscrutable Asians as far as the eye can see. Literally every single Asian character seen is a criminal, and they are almost entirely nameless. Fawning passive Asian princesses, mindless Asian drones. Exotic orientalism everywhere. Hey, we need to threaten someone: let's drag a fucking siege crossbow into a sewer instead of pointing a gun at someone's head because we're inscrutable! Gymkata kung fu attack! Jesus.

I've since heard the episode mentioned as 'the one Sherlock fans try to forget', which coaxed my wife and I into watching the show again, but if we hadn't, that might've been the end of the line, despite how charmed we were by the first episode.

More
24 May 2012 16:46 #126607 by clockwirk
Well, at least there wasn't a stereotypical old asian woman trying to hawk cheap crap from her store...oh wait.

"You want lucky cat? Ten poun! Ten poun!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: wolvendancer

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds