October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2725 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

The Dark Knight Rises **WITH SPOILERS**

More
09 Aug 2012 17:15 #132288 by Octavian

Not Sure wrote:

ZMan wrote: If interested more on DKR issues.

www.zergnet.com/news/27052/15-things-tha...he-dark-knight-rises

NOTE: While it never happened before on this site page 3 of that article triggered as a possible attack page. I think Firefox decided the page was harmful, not my AV software.

Chrome is telling me the whole slashfilm site that most of those links go to is a very bad idea.

Shame, as I wouldn't mind reading the article.

Slashfilm is pretty legit. Editor is on twitter saying this is some kind of error and working to get Google to remove the warning flag: twitter.com/slashfilm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2012 22:07 #132299 by daveroswell
I don't know how it works; is it because the name slashfilm sounds provacative?

More
10 Aug 2012 01:49 #132307 by Octavian

daveroswell wrote: I don't know how it works; is it because the name slashfilm sounds provacative?

Sounds like some kind of issue caused the malware flag in the Google database to pop up on Thursday. Whatever it was has been fixed. Not getting the warning page anymore.

More
10 Aug 2012 02:18 #132308 by mjl1783

The reason their plan is so convoluted is because they want to ruin Wayne as well as break Batman. He becomes the engineer of Gotham's demise. They rope-a-dope him with someone he can allegedly trust only to have that person twist the knife and betray him.

Yeah, and there's no simpler way to do that?

Talia's on the board of directors of his company, all of whom are apparently conspiring against Bruce Wayne, and from the beginning of the film, we know he doesn't give a shit about what's going on with Wayne Enterprises. They can't just set up an off-the-books bomb-building project using his name and his assets? He does it with all his Batman stuff right under their noses. Anyway, that would dovetail nicely with the material about Wayne letting the funding for orphanages drop off; he engineers Gotham's demise by simply giving up.

Why do they need this one particular guy to turn the reactor into a bomb? Talia funded the damn project, and Wayne trusts her. She can't get access to all the technical documentation, and have her own team of loyal people figure this out? And why do they need Wayne's bomb at all? Once he's done all the technical work, just steal his plans and make your own reactor. This would take all of one or two scenes to explain, and achieve the same damn thing.

What's the point of the big stock exchange heist scene? You guys run the day-to-day of Wayne Enterprises. You just can't buy off whatever recalcitrant board members remain, intentionally tank the company's stock value, and plunder all the assets for yourselves? You apparently arranged the economic ruin of Gotham City before the series even began, so pulling one little Enron shouldn't be that tall an order. Hell, you wouldn't even need to tunnel underneath his weapons warehouse, or risk a violent encounter between your key operatives and Batman himself.

Those are just some off-the-cuff ideas, but the point is, they could've accomplished the same thing they did with this bloated script without having to spend so much time setting up every little piece of this complex jigsaw puzzle. The movie needed to spend more time on things like the relationship between Bruce and Talia, it did not need all these disparate plot threads flailing around.

The story itself isn't bad. The movie isn't either. The script is.

More
10 Aug 2012 06:13 - 10 Aug 2012 06:13 #132314 by daveroswell

mjl1783 wrote:

What's the point of the big stock exchange heist scene?

I thought the point of that scene was to a) make the comment that the people Batman may be saving (the stockbrokers) aren't worth saving at all because they themselves are already corrupt, and b) it seemed stylistically cool to put the stockbroker hostages on the front of the motorcycles speeding around Gotham.

Last edit: 10 Aug 2012 06:13 by daveroswell.

More
10 Aug 2012 13:21 #132321 by Black Barney
I think it's more of a pander to the audience on the whole anti-Wall Street thing.

Trader #1: This is a stock exchange. There's no money for you to steal!
Bane: Really? Then why are you people here?

A fundamental misunderstanding of the stock exchange (it's like when Jon Stewart made that idiot from MSNBC the face of the crisis and corruption). One of my only two problems with the movie, really.

He's making a thirsty audience drink the sand with that stock exchange scene, in my opinion.

More
14 Aug 2012 20:12 #132551 by Notahandle
I'll take a movie in the style it's presented and my expectation is that they don't keep destroying my suspension of disbelief. And that's where DKR failed for me, the major character trait changes (e.g. Alfred) and so many glaring, nonsensical plot holes. The worst hasn't been mentioned here yet: only one person has climbed out of the pit before Batman, we're led to think it's Bane, the reveal is that it's Talia. So how the fuck did Bane get out?

So for me it's average, the worst of the three. Bad points, really just the plot. Good points, the photography and the acting, Bane and Catwoman were excellent.

More
14 Aug 2012 20:13 #132552 by Notahandle
Black Barney wrote:
" But I can totally understand how some people can't swallow what I managed to that night."
Ken gets extra frisky after a Batman movie does he?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
14 Aug 2012 20:19 - 14 Aug 2012 20:20 #132556 by Black Barney
oh man, c'mon it ain't worse than Batman Begins. Holmes RUINS that movie, no?

Talia comes back to crane Bane out of that pit, presumably, no? Don't they even show that at one point?

Earlier in this thread Ken mentions that he thinks Talia and maybe others have an escape plan from Gotham? I don't think there are half-converts in the League of Shadows (except Bruce Wayne). If they believe their main role is to destroy Gotham, they ain't leaving. I don't think they have any fear of death nor see any reason to live now that their mission is coming to fruition (like that dude in the plane at the beginning that stays behind).

Hey does anyone else think that the guy in the pit prison who holds the rope for the climber, do you think he's instructed to hold back a little on the rope when they make the jump so the jumper can't make it out? It's only if you say, "no thanks, bro, i'm good with no rope,yo" that you can actually make that jump-a-doodle.
Last edit: 14 Aug 2012 20:20 by Black Barney.

More
14 Aug 2012 20:55 #132559 by Notahandle
Well, I've seen each of them once, when they came out. I don't remember the first two hitting my suspension of disbelief as bad as DKR. None of them has made that big an impression, so it could just be that my memory of the flaws of the first two have faded.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds