October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2724 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

The Amazing Spider-man vs Spider-man

More
14 Nov 2012 12:47 #137687 by repoman
Saw The Amazing Spider-man last night.

It is hard to be objective about this movie. The re-implementation so soon after the other Spidey movies makes comparisons inevitable. I'll make some but my opinions are only based on Spider-man and Spider-man 2 as I never saw the third one.

1)Andrew Garfield vs Toby Maguire. On the whole I prefer Garfield. On the whole, I think he conveyed the teen-angst a little better. The uncertainty mixed with a little anger and a little arrogance. Also Maguire's trademark soft gravely mumble voice annoys the hell out of me especially as he uses it in EVERY damn movie he's ever been in.

2)Pre-spidey Peter Parker. This is a split. I like in the new movie how the traits that make Peter become a super-hero are already there. He defends the weak. He is reckless and a bit heedless of his own well-being. You can see how this kid would put on the super-suit. But this Peter is a bit too cool. He uses too much product in his hair. It's hard to see him as the 90 pound weakling nerd. Maguire's pre-spidey is much more believable in the Sad Sack role.

3) Origin Story. Another split. The older movie was truer to the real origin and lets face it...Bone Saw is awesome. I also like the trial and error aspects of Peter developing his powers better in Remi's Spider-man. In Amazing Spider-man, it seems like a lot of it was shoehorned it to fit with the plot of the movie. I did like the web shooters being mechanical rather than organic. I never understood why they did that in Remi's movies.

4)Gwen Stacey vs. Mary Jane. From a sentimental perspective I'm for Gwen all the way but on reflection I have to give it to Kirsten Dunst's Mary Jane. Better acting allowed me to care a lot more what happened to M.J. over Gwen. Also, there was never doubt about Gwen and Peter getting together. It just kind of happened. There was no tension.

5)The Lizard vs. Green Goblin vs Doc Oc. No question. Doctor Octopus was the best villain in all of the movies. Believable and sympathetic AND redeemed at the end. Well written and well acted. The Lizard comes in last. The visuals were horrible. He looked like crap. The CGI was poor. Just didn't like him.

6)Fight scenes. Once again Spidey 2 takes the prize here. The battle with Doctor Octopus on the train is probably the best super hero fight put on film. Just fantastic. Energetic, kinetic, and yet not confusing and you really feel like you know what is going on. The Amazing Spiderman has some good action as well and I LOVED the way Spidey uses his webs in the fight in the school. Really well done.

The Amazing Spider-man taken by itself is a fine super hero movie. Not something for the ages but good and worth the time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2012 16:05 - 14 Nov 2012 16:43 #137701 by mikecl
I agree with your conclusion. The Amazing Spiderman is a refreshing new take and is definitely worth seeing. I really like the new Spidey's web slinging high wire act. It conveys the feeling you got from the comics that he was almost flying.

Garfield's teen angst likely resonates better because it fits today's blacker world but would have been out of place in 1962 when Spiderman was first introduced. I actually prefer Gwen Stacey to Mary Beth but mainly because I like Emma Stone. However, I have to agree the romantic tension was a little better in Raimi's rendition.

I prefer the original series' back story because it's the way it was originally written BUT I also don't mind the new stuff. It kept things interesting. I HATE the web shooters. Where did that technology come from? Organic makes more sense and is more in keeping with his physical transformation.

Yes Doc Oc rules for all of those reasons but I did get a kick out of the new Spidey's fight sequences. As a package I thought the new movie was a nice change.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2012 16:43 by mikecl.

More
14 Nov 2012 16:39 #137703 by hotseatgames
I would put the latest movie well above the 3rd Raimi movie, and am hopeful for future movies with Garfield. The new suit looks fantastic.

I felt that Tobey played Peter Parker perfectly, better than Garfield.

More
14 Nov 2012 17:28 #137709 by Egg Shen
I had no interest in seeing this reboot. It came out far too close to the Raimi films and it seems like the infused it with more cartoony CGI.

I like all 3 of the Raimi films to a different degree, but I felt like they completed the trilogy and the character should be left dormant for a while.

Also it made no sense why they couldn't do a practical effect suit and makeup job for The Lizard. That alone made me not interested in seeing it.

At some point it will prob be free on amazon prime or netflix and I'll watch it, but I wouldn't pay to see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb, iguanaDitty, Msample

More
15 Nov 2012 05:13 #137747 by metalface13
Amazing Spider-Man worked really well in some places for me, and was not so good in others. Just like Raimi's Spider-Man movies, except 3, that was total garbage.

I like Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker better than Tobey Maguire's. The angst is better than Maguire's whining. Yes, Peter doesn't have a lot of angst in the original comics, but I think it makes sense considering this kid's parents disappeared when young without even a decent explanation from them or his aunt and uncle. Garfield's Peter isn't a dork, he's an outsider. So yeah, it doesn't make sense for him to get picked on, but you can see him getting into fights. Not because he's a JD of course, but the angst, doesn't like others getting picked on, etc.

I liked Emma Stone better as Gwen Stacy. Yes, the "will they or won't they" wasn't there but they had better chemistry and I think they should have given them a little more screen time together.

I didn't think the Lizard CGI looked bad, but couldn't fathom his motives. Why does the Lizard want to turn everyone into lizardmen? From the comics the Lizard has always just been a slobbering savage beast who puts people in harm. Kurt Connors, even in Lizard form doesn't really strike me as a eugenics/force man's evolution kind of guy. Maybe if he just wanted turn wounded veterans into lizard guys to cure them, too? Or maybe just because the Lizard is putting Dr. Connors' family in danger? Also, why are your everyday iguanas, chameleons and other lizards attracted to him?

I think the Green Goblin has been the best Spider-Man villain on screen so far, except for his heinous costume design. I wasn't a fan of Doc Ok being controlled by his robotic arms. In general I want to hate the villains for being really, really bad guys. Not sympathetic. That's just me though.

Why was Gwen Stacy, a high school senior in charge of a multi-million dollar biochemical company's internship program? I really don't think they'd give a high schooler that kind of access and security clearance to projects and materials worth millions in intellectual property, patents, etc.

I really enjoyed Marc Web's (500) Days of Summer, so I was really looking forward to what he could add to the emotional relationships in the story, so I was a little disappointed that Amazing Spider-Man was pretty straight forward superhero flick.

More
15 Nov 2012 09:55 #137751 by Marcussen
I havn't really had the urge to see the new one either - but I will get there.

But damn how I envy the fact that you have not seen the 3rd Raimi flick.

And yes... Spiderman 2 is the best. Really great in many respects. Great action, great pacing, great villain, good story and full of emotions we can relate to and people we care about.

More
16 Nov 2012 10:05 #137812 by Marcussen
Ok. I just watched it. Pretty good. I'm not too happy about the overall plot or The Lizard as a villain (which I guess is a big thumbs down). However I really liked Garfield as Spiderman and I quite liked the overall tone (still like the cartoonish Raimi version though). I also really liked the creative ways they lef Spidey use his web for movement. Stuff like shooting the floor to pull himself fast away from danger etc...

So quite a solid film. Apart from the The Lizard is does suffer from being too close to Raimi's both in time and in being an origin story. The uncle Ben stuff had no emotional impact and you kind of feel like you are watching the same thing... which you are :)

But solid entertainment. I think I'm off to watch Skyfall now.

More
16 Nov 2012 11:26 #137813 by repoman
I totally agree with you about the Uncle Ben stuff. In this new movie, I felt nothing when Ben died. Unlike Reimi's where I think I almost shed a tear. The family life of Peter was much better done in the earlier films.

More
21 Nov 2012 17:36 - 21 Nov 2012 17:39 #138159 by Josh Look
2012 Spider-Man > 2002 Spider-Man.

That's bottom line, folks, there ain't no bones[aws] about it. No, it isn't as good as Spidey 2, yes, it's the origin, but if you could only take one 1st Spidey flick...this would be the one.

The Lizard's CGI is a bit spotty. That being said, the CGI in this movie is kept to as much of a minimum as possible, and what is there is lightyears ahead of the 2002 one (do a comparison...Spidey in his wrestling outfit climbing the wall...it's painful).

Uncle Ben's death holds little emotional resonance, but there's enough throughout the rest of movie. Also, all the characters are by far more developed.

It's obviously set up to be a trilogy, and they did a damn fine job of setting things up that any comic fan knows are coming. I hope they can keep the steam they had on this one going...as far as a pure superhero trilogy goes, they could be on to something special here.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2012 17:39 by Josh Look.

More
22 Nov 2012 02:23 #138201 by DeletedUser
I thought the fight choreography in the 2012 Spider-Man was better than the previous movies. 2012 Spidey was pulling some badass moves.

I thought I liked Garfield better than Maguire for the first half an hour, but by the end of the movie he was starting to annoy me with his seeming inability to string together a complete sentence.

My verdict, 2012 Spider-Man slightly better than the Raimi movies, but it was way too soon for a reboot.

More
23 Nov 2012 01:36 #138260 by jason10mm
I didn't much care for the new one. I like all the Raimi films, but I just dig that guy as a director.

Very much didn't like Garfield as Peter. Dunno, just didn't do it for me.

I'm split on organic vs mechanical web shooters. I feel if PP could really build those things he could make a few million in R&D and not have to work so hard. Seems like he stole/refined the tech in the new film though.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds