October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2720 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

JJ Abrams to direct new Star Wars

More
26 Jan 2013 19:23 #142492 by Mr. White

JonJacob wrote: Hope for the best and expect the worst. I don't know who said that first but I got it from Operation Condor staring Jackie Chan.. if I can quote that movie, I can certainly sit through another Star Wars flick.

Total tangent, but that quote was one of several my roommate and I used often back in college. We also got it from Operation Condor (_great_ Chan film; roomie had the poster up), but I know the line was at least used prior in:

"Let's dance in style, let's dance for a while,
Heaven can wait we're only watching the skies.
Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst,
Are you gonna drop the bomb or not?"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2013 21:30 #142500 by Space Ghost
Fairly old quote. I think I remember reading a Chief Justice used it (John Jay, I think) and I thought he was referencing a usage from England

More
27 Jan 2013 01:12 #142508 by Egg Shen
I like Abrams for this. With Star Trek he has shown to he is able to tackle a franchise with finicky fans and managed not to piss off too many of them. He will handle the new film with the care it deserves. When you really think about the short list of directors that could actually pull this off he is probably near the top. Others like Peter Jackson or Del Toro would probably work, but I'd still choose Abrams over them. Honestly, this is probably the best thing to happen to Star Wars since the Bioware game Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox).

Also to those not down with Abrams...think about how much worse it COULD have been! It's not like Michael Bay, Roland Emmerich or Paul W.S. Anderson got the gig.

My only wish is that they use some sort of practical effects/animatronics with the creatures/robots/aliens. Save the CG for the space battles and action scenes. Also, I hope that John Williams is still alive to write the score.

More
27 Jan 2013 01:39 #142509 by Grudunza
Something that occurred to me after watching one of the ST movies at the theater years ago, and not liking it that much, then watching it on the VCR later and liking it, was that we're used to Star Trek being a TV thing... I think there's some kind of issue with seeing it on the big screen that makes it harder to appreciate. I thought the new ST film was great, and maybe partly because we didn't have those same actors in any pre-existing TV series version.

I love JJ Abrams as the choice for this. Sure, the expectations will be super-high, but you know even if it doesn't match the expectations, it'll have some real entertainment value and help erase the bad taste of the prequels. I think he'll both get the tone right to connect with the existing films, and also freshen it up a bit to help going forward. I think it's almost a must, though, to have Hamill, Fisher and Ford in there as their characters (aged) with smaller parts, to help bridge the new films with the classic ones.

More
27 Jan 2013 05:50 #142513 by engineer Al

Grudunza wrote: I think it's almost a must, though, to have Hamill, Fisher and Ford in there as their characters (aged) with smaller parts, to help bridge the new films with the classic ones.

Hopefully not by travelling through time. . .

More
27 Jan 2013 05:55 #142514 by SaMoKo
Hamill would probably be terrible. I don't think he would be much of a jedi knight when a swift walk up a flight of stairs would probably kill him.

Because he's fat and old you see.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
27 Jan 2013 06:00 #142515 by QPCloudy
Ruh roh raggy.

Attachment image_2013-01-27.jpg not found

Attachments:

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.314 seconds